• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Intermittent stalling on R1100RT

phrip

Hi all,

I have a 95 R1100RT that is turning into a real time and money pit. The bike started giving intermittent trouble - would be running just fine, then suddenly quit. Not power down like a fuel issue, just a sudden die out, like ignition had altogether stopped.

Particularly noticeable in damp weather. After much consultation, HES was replaced with new EnduraLast HES. (the entire assembly ie plate, harness, etc). Job was professionally done.

Was out for ride two days ago, with flawless performance. Got caught in heavy rain. No issues whatsoever. Ran fine. Started, re-started, etc with numerous stops during day out.

Yesterday, after starting up just fine in cool weather, and running for an hour or more (out on errands) the bike died while motoring along. Same as above, ignition just suddenly quit.

PRIOR TO HES REPLACEMENT, AND YESTERDAY, AFTER REPLACEMENT:

RID stays lit up after bike quits.
Other instrument lights stay lit up after stalling.

UNLIKE PRIOR TO HES REPLACEMENT...I re-started and drove home without further incident.

I have tested side stand switch, jiggled wires coming from ignition switch while bike runs, cranked bars from side to side, etc.

Has anybody had the above experience - as in, eliminated the HES as possible cause, eliminated the side stand and ignition switch wiring as possible cause - and still had intermittent 'quitting' problem?

If yes, please share how you eliminated the problem. THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

And THANK YOU to the forum in advance - everybody has been super supportive with this first time Beemer owner. I am regretting the purchase and really hope to get things to rights and get some positive vibes back for this bike. I love it in so many ways, but to be honest, it is so problem laden and unreliable that I am on the verge of dumping it and going back to my tried and true Hondas.

I really hope to keep the bike and enjoy all that it can offer - so I look forward to hearing from you.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Mike

It seems (to me, at least) that you have an intermittent wiring issue. I believe these bikes had their ignition harnesses tightly zip-tied to the ignition switch. Loosening off saved a lot of heartache however, if yours has already had this "mod" perhaps the wires within were already frayed/broken. I would start tracing within a continuity tester. I am far from an expert on the subject so perhaps others more knowledgeable will chime in.

Lastly, the bike you have is 25 years old so you should expect to have the odd problem. Having owned more than a few Hondasaki Yamasuki bikes in the past, I can attest that, as any bike ages, they develop issues.

Good luck with finding your problem!

Last edited:
You have a single central coil, located just under the front end of the gas tank. They eventually go bad. I’ve had this on my own RT, and two friends with 1100RT bikes too. Bike runs fine, then just dies with all lights operating. Restarts quickly at first, but later needs a longer wait for the coil to cool. Eventually, won’t restart, or restarts but dies again quickly. You could try a used coil from a low mileage bike, or just buy a new coil.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with my '98 R1100RT. It was a wiring issue with the side stand switch. I realize you have already checked yours but mine was interment over a three week period before it was diagnosed.

Good luck in determining the cause of your problem.

interested in outcome...my 1150 does the same thing

I have been out on two trips the past two months and the same thing happened...cruising along fine then its like the ignition turned off. coasted to a
safe pull out...waited about 5 min then started right up...the first time it got me about 3 hrs to home ok...the last time (coming home from the Falling
Leaf Rally) it happend again within 1/2 an hour....then road 5 hrs home without issue.

I have rewired my HES switch using high temp wires last year but recently bought a new HES assembly I'm going to put on. I may pickup a new coil
as mentioned earlier to give that a go as well.

Other than that I'm flummoxed.

Additional inputs very welcomed.

Thanks,
Tom
2001 R1150GS

You mention damp weather - possibly crud in the Kill switch?
There's also a little Clutch switch, near the hinge pin of the lever.
On the bottom rear of the transmission is the gear indicator switch; integral to this is the Neutral switch (but I'm not sure if a fault here would affect the RID).
You can get a full schematic from the Mac-Pak website https://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/

Back