• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

JCabranes is mad because I wouldn't sleep with him at the Dells Rally

Bud

It is what it is.
It started out with me thinking I hadn't made any rallies this year and the Dells is pretty close, 430 miles, and I've never been there so why not go? Why not go, you ask? Because of Gus, our friendly rain maker, who was surging thru the midwurst bringing rain, rain and more rain.

Well, what's a little rain while riding? Nothing. Rain while trying to get into and out of a one person tent with low headroom is a different story. No problem. Post on the forum and see if someone wants to share a room. Almost immediately, JCabranes, answers that he is willing to split a room. I take another another look at the national radar and forecast and "Yikes" it looks like a downpour all the way there. Well, never mind. I PM JCabranes back and say I've decided to not go.

Then, all day Thursday, conditions are improving. Hmmmm........ Maybe I should give it a shot. Should I write him back and say I've changed my mind again? Decided not to as it would seem pretty fickle.

So I wait, and wait. Check the weather by the hour. Pack the bike just in case. Go to bed at 10 with the conditions improving. Set the alarm for 5AM so I can meet my riding buddy for breakfast 70 miles north of here. Get up in the dark. Here is a picture taken inside my garage.

1220883599.jpg

Light mist outside. I'm packed, suited up and on the bike and out the door by 5:45 AM. Light mist. Don't even bother with the rain gear. But as it gets lighter, I notice heavy, dark clouds to the west. Oh well, I'm going no matter what.

Get to Hillsboro a little after 7 AM. My friend Gary is waiting at Micky D's. We visit for a couple of hours and then I say I have to leave and head north. Interstate the whole way. Still drizzling but no big deal. Around Rockford the sun comes out. Yea. :clap

I stop in Beloit, Wisconsin, my birthplace. I wanted to take pictures of the houses my parents lived in while they were growing up. Found my fathers house no problem. Mom's house wasn't as easy so I called her. She gave me the correct address and found it within a few minutes.

Went by our old house but it was gone. :cry City of Beloit had built a fake stone water tower there and it was a tourist attraction?
4random.jpg

I sure wouldn't leave the highway to look. Oh well. Nothing stays the same forever.

Lunch time on the road. Healthy eating is my motto so it is on to Wendy's for a baked potato with chili on top. Fiber, mmmmmmm........., good. Then a frosty for my dairy group. Gotta love good clean living on the road.

Getting back on the interstate, I had to give it a little gas to merge. With several ton's of stuff on the back of the bike, the wheel came off the ground in 2nd gear. Yikes, looks like it is a good thing I wasn't in FL or IL where it would have been a moving violation. :D

Along the way I had to stop by the side of the road and take this picture.

1220884968.jpg

There was something pleasing about the symmetry of the odometer reading.

Later that afternoon, I found the rally site, was directed to registration and was warmly greeted by Sue R-M. Good to see a familiar face. Went back to the camping area and tried to set up my tent. I last used it in West Bend, and my son-in-law had taken it camping between then and now. Forgetting how to set it up (I know, how hard can it be?) I mistakenly thought he had lost some parts. Off to wally world where substitute parts (kind of) were purchased. Back to the campgrounds where my neighbors used vice grips and an AX (wondered if I should move knowing they could harm me during the night) modified my purchase to make it usable as a peg onto which my tent pole would fasten. OOOOOPS. One end goes into a sleeve, I didn't need what had just been made. :doh

Here is a picture of my tent? Can you see it? It is yellow and very small.

1220887180.jpg

Tent up. Now time for supper. Beef stew and rolls. Went down pretty well with the help from some dark beer. Went down so well had seconds of stew and rolls and a Liney's Red.

Introduced myself to the strangers around me. Met Bob and Mary Beth from N Wisconsin. We chatted while the band played. Music was the Rockin Robins. Good old stuff. Some folks got up and danced. I decided to call it a night at 10:30 PM and drifted off to sleep with the sound of the band in the background. Around 12:30 I swore that some folks were having golf cart races right outside my tent. With the drone of the highway noise in my ears, I drifted off to sleep again.

6:30 AM. The rain from last night had stopped. I got up and headed towards the donuts (grain you know, another basic food group). Chatted with strangers.

Here is a picture of some of them. You may recognize them from the photos at the post office.

1220885329.jpg

Then Bouncin Bob, who rode during the night from Cleveland, came by and we solved all of the problems of MOA in about 15 minutes. He introduced me to Mark Austin, who has been on the road all summer. Sue came by again, always smiling and laughing. I said I was going to Wallershiem Winery and Mark wanted to go as well so off we go. Never having approached the winery from the NE, I took a couple of wrong turns while Mark (who had a GPS) politely smiled and gave suggestions. I wasn't lost, just wasn't going the right way.

We had to wait for the free cable ferry across the Wisconsin River.

1220885572.jpg

Then just a short zip down the road to the winery.

1220886906.jpg

Mark bought some wine to take home. I bought some as well. We then went to Sauk City for lunch. Had some good home cooking and then fruit (another food group) for desert. My fruit also included grain and dairy. Fresh baked blueberry pie, heated, with ice cream on top! Mmmmmm.... more healthy eating.

Rode back to the ferry where I caught Mark trying to take a picture.

1220886097.jpg

Even in the daylight, the reflective patch on his Stich shows up. IIRC he has done two different trips this summer, 6,000 miles on one and 5,000 miles on this one. Those GS riders sure rack up the miles.

We went by Devils Lake on the way home and I showed Mark how to ride a RT like a GS as we left the parking lot between two large boulders, rather than go all the way around.

Got back to the rally site only to find out that Bob and Mary Beth were behind us at the winery by just minutes.

Called home and told Nancy what I had been doing. She said she didn't understand riding that many miles to a rally to ride with just one other person! :D I tried to explain I didn't really like group rides. Did the same at West Bend last year.

Time for supper. They had many buffet lines set up and fed the crowd (600 or more?) in short order. Very good meal.

Then I went to the water park and whooped and hollered just like all the other kids while speeding down dark water slides.

By now, you are wondering about the title of the post and what it has to do with this story, aren't you? Get ready, here it comes. Going back to the camping site I had to go thru "security" and who do you think was at the gate? Yup, you got it, JCabranes himself, loudly telling his co-worker that I wouldn't sleep with him. :bolt

At the 08 West Bend Rally, he led a group to Milwaukee to eat at a fine Cuban restaurant. Along the way, we went thru some parts of town that I wouldn't go in by myself and he just laughed and mumbled something about the Latin Kings. I don't understand why he hangs with gang members, but I'm sure he will defend himself on this issue.

Time for more music by the Rockin Robins. Their bass player didn't make it but the music was just as good as the night before. Had a little Prarrie Fume that I had purchased earlier in the day. Bob and Mary Beth came buy and also brought a bottle of wine to share. Mark had a little taste as well.

My bad luck continued as I bought 50/50 tickets and didn't win, again, or ever as a matter of fact. Didn't win in the closing ceremony either. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any. For an example, see Bud's Bad Day.

Back to bed for a much needed beauty rest.

Got up the next morning for more coffee and donuts and things were a bit damp from the heavy dew.

Talked some more and didn't leave till 10 AM. Camp grounds almost empty by the time I left. Had another healthy lunch at the worlds largest Culvers. Post roast sandwich (meat and grain) fries (vegies) and turtle sundae (nuts, dairy and the ever healthy chocolate).

On to Litchfield, IL for supper at the china buffet for more healthy eating including raw fish.

Home by 6:30. Over 1,000 miles. Good food, good people, good riding.

Thanks to the Wisconsin club for a wonderful event.

Ride well.

Hate to tell you but this picture is upside down....

1220884968.jpg

There is something pleasing about the symmetry....

Symmetry? What symmetry??? the numbers don't even line up and the whole thing is slighty cock-eyed, a sure sign of a failure in the making I'd say, do not ride your bike another single mile until this has been fixed!!

Here is a picture of my tent? Can you see it? It is yellow and very small.

1220887180.jpg

Tent up. Now time for supper. Beef stew and rolls. Went down pretty well with the help from some dark beer. Went down so well had seconds of stew and rolls and a Liney's Red.

The Dell rally is held in the commons of a high-rise condo development?? Gezz, sure glad I didn't go! How droll.......

any dinner that requires the help of a beer is questionable at best, I'd say...

If you ever get to a REAL rally, then post about it, but untill them..........:laugh

RM

I agree with Rocketman, nothing special about the speedo shot. you've got to catch it with all 3s 5s 7s etc. I have two bikes in the garage right now that are showing 35,800 each at the exact same time. now thats rare. and I didn't plan it. will I take a picture of them? NOOOO it will just be a fond memory. :stick

I agree with Rocketman, nothing special about the speedo shot. you've got to catch it with all 3s 5s 7s etc. I have two bikes in the garage right now that are showing 35,800 each at the exact same time. now thats rare. and I didn't plan it. will I take a picture of them? NOOOO it will just be a fond memory. :stick

NOTHING SPECIAL Are you and RM blind???????

It reads the same forwards and backwards and the numbers aren't all 3s or 5s or 7s. Heck, anyone can do that.:stick

Everyone is a critic...

:)

Thanks for the ride report, Bud. Glad you have a good ride to the winery! Did you see any of the bald eagles that soar over and around the bluffs near the winery?

We took the Merrimac Ferry often to go between Madison and Devils Lake State Park when I was a kid. I have been on Colsac I, II and III. I donÔÇÖt have to find much of an excuse to bend a trip to include a ride of the ferry and revisit childhood memories.

Thanks for the pictures, though I believe the first only needs to be rotated 90degrees to the left.

NOTHING SPECIAL Are you and RM blind???????

It reads the same forwards and backwards and the numbers aren't all 3s or 5s or 7s. Heck, anyone can do that.:stick

OK, OK, I went back and looked at it again. I guess I'll cut you a little slack. thats just special!!!!! :stick :stick

Excellent report and I am sorry I missed you.

We have a lot in common.
I also would not sleep with JCabranes.

(For those very serious folks here, this is a joke. I am not serious.
JCabranes has never even asked me.:ha)

:)

Thanks for the ride report, Bud. Glad you have a good ride to the winery! Did you see any of the bald eagles that soar over and around the bluffs near the winery?

Sorry to say, the only eagle we saw was cut out of steel and in the wine garden.

We have a lot in common.

You were there also?????

I'm telln ya, we need to post on this forum the members who will be at a rally and then we can find each other. Otherwise I'm going to ask 600 people, are your Rapid Roy????? :wave

We have a lot in common.

So Roy, are you sayn you would if he asked?:stick :D :D :D :D

So Roy, are you sayn you would if he asked?:stick :D :D :D :D

Both you guy's are out of luck, John was working on a couple of "Harley babes" who were trying to crash the rally Sat. night :whistle

Luckily I was there to save him...... :ha

I think you are the only one that got it. :clap

I got it too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nej4xJe4Tdg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nej4xJe4Tdg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back