• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

its like falling in love all over again, isnt it?

F

framdaddy

Yes yes yes she said to me as I sat on top of her, snuggly framed between her two wheels. I called my girlfriend and explained that i had fallen in love with another. She asked me what her name is, and i said Kay.
Kay what she asked, and i said Kay gee tee. Is she chinese she asked? My girl fiend then said oh...your still talking about that k1200gt arent you.
After sitting on that bike I had to ask myself, had I ever really been with the woman of my dreams, my one true love.
Without positioning myself to be a victim of my own momentary brutal honesty, the answer to that question lay obviously in the question itself.
Yes Im a gentleman. but every great motorcycle prefers a man who can be gentle, or as bob dylan says, Just like a woman.
No drinking, no drugs, what am i doing, trying to get a blip in the guiness world book of records for the most boring life.
I want my k1200gt. So I am going to buy one in a few weeks.
My first motorcycle in 25 years which makes me 47. I just took the evergreen safety course and loved it. I am a safety fanatic. In fact I find that staying alive on a motorcycle is one of the great art forms of riding a bike. Its like a chess game. every move has consequences. Scan,identify,predict,decide,execute.
The dealer let me take out the demo for a couple hours. I was so scared I declined until the sales agent agreed to ride her bike with me. we went out and had a great time. Back at the shop she said that I am a great rider.
I said really, do you really think so, honest to gosh, are you kidding me,
seriously though, do you really think I am. At that point the sales agent stopped and looked at me right in the eyes and realized that I was neither the customer from heaven nor the one from hell. i was from some other planet that she had never heard of. I then took the bike out by myself.
I ended up in a traffic jam on the freeway, maximum speed 10 miles per hour.
So I thought Id exit and go to a parking lot where things were a little bit more exciting and moving a bit quicker. I actually really enjoyed driving around in the parking lot as It showed me how well the bike and I really handle and work together.
After all, anyone can go in a straight line at higher speeds, but that does not represent any qualification between man and his machine, or between two people for that matter. Ok, so the bottom line is Im getting that freakin gt.
And thats it. Of course I will get a helmet called aria, and a jacket and pants called something Stitch, and handle gloves, and extra lights on the frnt and rear, as well a a loud horn, plenty of moto insurance and of course I will say a prayer before and after i ride. So I was wondering if anyone has any good tips or reading suggestions on bike riding. Id love to hear your thougts and more. Thankyou
Best wishes
Framdaddy

Last edited:
Well it sounds like you are off to a great start. I was in pretty much the same shoes as you but I did it kinda backwards LOL. I bought the bike first read the book Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough, great book a lot real life staratagies which is highly recommended by a lot of people. Then I took the Safety course. Also ride with a buddy for awhile I found that to be a great help. Good Luck Let us know how things are going with your new Love Affair.

Welcome to the K12 world.

There is a new book, and since I'm at work, I can't open two windows and search for it. Course If I were at home, I could just look at the title. I'll wait till I get home tonight and post the title.

Safety fanatic's suggested reading?

I suggest "Thanatopsis" by William Cullen Bryant.

If you don't get the connection, read it again, until you do.

Jim :idea

Back