• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is hearing protection really worth the trouble?

Ear Plug Source

50 years of aviation, 40 around really loud jets, ear plugs have always been a must
On bikes I have tied the blue wax plugs👎🏻 surefire plugs👎🏻 molded👎🏻 hard plastic👎🏻 and soft foam👍
If their is a better solution out there I'll try it

I have tried everything also. Stumbled on (maybe from this forum) this site:

http://www.earplugstore.com/reustrialpac.html

Bought the sample pack of reusable plugs.

They seem to have everything - if your looking for foam or something else.

Tried them all and the Howard Leight Fusion Small are the best reusable ear plugs I have ever used. Evidently I needed something for a small ear canal.

They cost $1.91 a pair when you buy two sets.

Makes me shake my head when I think of all the money I spent on plugs that did not work as well.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

$$$$$$

check out the price of REAL hearing aids. Not those cheapos advert'd on the back of the sunday magazine section. ask an ENT guy. See how that makes you feel about hearing protection.

or take my word; you're looking at the "$ nice-used-bike" ballpark.:banghead

These are inexpensive and quite effective, but somewhat difficult to ride with.....

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 216
Our local firemen used 3M 1100 foam earplugs and they have 160 db sirens on the trucks. I have been using them for several years and for me, they are good. No trouble to insert unless over used, then they are too soft and don't reduce noise as well. I bought a box of 200 pairs for $27 about 7 years ago, and still have most of them. That's about 13 cents a pair.

You want to protect your hearing. Tinnitus can be irritating and something you would prefer not to experience, believe me.

Yep, hearing protection is worth the trouble. Go to your local Audiologist and see what they recommend. I have always had problems with the foam insert type of plugs. Tried many brands. I had a set of custom plugs made that were termed as motorcycle plugs. They are a small plug that blocks out a percentage of the noise but allows you to still hear the traffic. Comfortable all of the time. Well worth the money. If the less expensive plugs don't work, find what does work for you? Your hearing is worth it!!!!

John

check out the price of REAL hearing aids. Not those cheapos advert'd on the back of the sunday magazine section. ask an ENT guy. See how that makes you feel about hearing protection. or take my word; you're looking at the "$ nice-used-bike" ballpark.:banghead

You got that right. Mine (Phonak Naida) cost about $6000 for the pair about four years ago. Probably more than that now.

And besides the cost, they're no fun to wear. And they don't really restore your hearing, just make it so you can function better. I hate the damned things but really can't do without them.

My loss is mostly hereditary but probably made a worse from things I did (or didn't do) in my youth.

WARNING just in case

You got that right. Mine (Phonak Naida) cost about $6000 for the pair about four years ago. Probably more than that now.

And besides the cost, they're no fun to wear. And they don't really restore your hearing, just make it so you can function better. I hate the damned things but really can't do without them.

My loss is mostly hereditary but probably made a worse from things I did (or didn't do) in my youth.

I guarantee you my hearing loss and tinnitus was clicked on suddenly and hard, and 24/7 after i made the trip from L.A. to Missoula in two days for the '98 Nat'l. Then the return in two days. Parabellum shield on my Pichler, full face helmet, seldom over 75-80 mph. And boom. The next day it started and hasn't stopped. Mine are a mix of Belltone and Air Resound (long story), but about $4K for the two. Quite comfortable, almost invisible....I hardly ever notice the ringing, but I'd rather have my hearing back.

Those little hairs inside your ear that you learned about in 7th grade break and don't grow back. Ever.

Wear ear protection.

just to add my two cents to the pile

YES!

and Here's my story:

Years ago when i first started riding, i rode about 200 miles to a rally (wearing a full face helmet, behind the fairing on my K75S). I got there with ringing ears, feeling like i had been beaten up. I stopped by a vendors booth, and this older gentleman who had ONLY ridden 450 miles appeared fresh as a daisy. He asked my if i wore ear-plugs. (which of course i incredulously asked "WHY?"). He laughed and said to me, "i am going to change your life". He threw two quarters on the vendors counter and handed me a pack of the disposable foam ones. After riding home and realizing that i no longer had ringing in my ears and felt awesome after a 200 mile ride... i was converted.

Now, unless i am riding around the block to listen to the bike after i have worked on it; i don't go ANYWHERE without my ear-plugs in my ears.

sdc

Following are links to a couple of articles related to sound attenuation for motorcyclists. I found these articles interesting.

https://www.insidescience.org/content/lowering-volume-motorcyclists/714

https://www.researchgate.net/public...cycle_Helmet_Noise_and_Active_Noise_Reduction

The Bath researchers are doing good work, but I don't understand the jump to noise cancelling (i.e., active control) vs passive noise reductions (NR). Sure, the noise cancelling may address some tones produced by gaps and steps, but the bulk of the SPL is broad spectrum turbulence noise. From that perspective........good fitting plugs, 25~30 NRR, are the immediate action to address the problem.

Loud pipes save lives?

I like the bumper sticker to that effect "If loud pipes save lives, think what learning to ride could do!"
I agree with ear plugs, all the time. It's also amazing the difference in the helmet you wear regarding the amount of noise you get.

Would agree, loud pipes don't save lives, they just piss off people...

Is hearing/eye/brain/etc. protection worth the trouble?

For the naysayers out there no, and good for them.

For me, YES!

Bill

Would agree, loud pipes don't save lives, they just piss off people...

Ya know,...for years i was part of that thinking. But ! although I still like mine quiet, and yes dislike hearing a loud one in the neighborhood...

I can see where they might actually save a life. Without making this overly long....think about it. Anything that alerts a driver, that there is a motorcycle there ......might just / possibly could. save a life.

Not joining the dark side :) and I still want mine quiet .....I'm just not convinced that there is absolutely no attention getting safety aspect to it ?

surefire plugs👎🏻

I agree about the surefire plugs. I thought they were working OK and my helmet was just noisy. WRONG!

Last week, after several hundred miles on the highway, my ears just hurt. I began to suspect the surefires weren't working. Then I went 20+ miles on the highway, I went to take the plugs out and discovered I hadn't even put them in. I had noticed no difference in noise levels between having them in and forgetting them. Finally, at a gas stop, I felt the plugs before removing them and discovered they were backing out of my ear under the helmet.

I switched disposable foam plugs and noticed a huge difference. We'll see what the long term effects are to my hearing after a year of wearing the surefire plugs, but I suspect it isn't good.

I can't ride without ear plugs - I find it really fatigues me on a ride of any length (and both my father and brother have gone deaf - and I blame it on riding bikes and snowmobiles without hearing protection).

I use those orange disposables. I must have big ear canals or something, because I find they fit much better if I put them in backwards (they are slightly tapered and I put the big end into my ear). Also, and I know this may sound gross, I find they work MUCH better if you dampen the surface of them before you insert them. Yep, the old "Wet Willey" treatment seems to make them easier to put in and they seat better. It makes a huge difference - but you look real funny when you are putting them in. :)

Back