• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is hearing protection really worth the trouble?

One trip to Florida without ear protection at age 40 was all it took to get the buzz going for me 24/7. You tend to dismiss the significance of things that you could tolerate when you were 20, but like old football injuries, tinnitus will become a fact of life and there is no going back. Wear the protection, you will go deaf without it.

I lost a bit of hearing to gunfire in the service. I'm pretty motivated to keep what I have left.

Pete

I almost always use hearing protection. I am surprised how loud the wind is when I don't.
Now bike to bike this my be different. On my K100RT with the Parabellum windshield hearing protection was not as critical, on my naked bike with a modular helmet it is necessary.

In Ohio it is legal for totally deaf folks to ride motorcycles. It is not, however, legal to ride with earplugs in both ears. If one is deaf in one ear, then it is legal to ride with one earplug (presumably in the ear with hearing).

I've found studies that show that commercially available earplugs do allow for a significant amount of sound volume reduction, but earplug users can still distinguish sirens from emergency vehicles. A typical objection to use of earplugs is inability to hear and thus respond to emergency vehicles. I've forwarded this information to the AMA's Legislative Affairs Office (the AMA HQ is located near Columbus, Ohio), but thus far haven't been informed regarding any action to get the laws modified.

It is clear from other studies that hearing loss is possible from riding motorcycles - the largest contributor to noise appears to come from wind turbulence about one's helmet. Naturally each individual's circumstances will differ in this regard.

I am a scofflaw in regards to the earplug prohibition.

If I had to guess, many of the earplug type restrictions are restrictions of the past, especially with the invention of the Rumbler-

If you think of closed up air-conditioned cars, blue-tooth, DVD players etc- there is many more noises than in the past to keep one from hearing emergency vehicles.
OM

I won't ride anywhere without earplugs. Well, maybe from the bottom of my driveway inside my garage...

I spent 12 years on the flightline in the USAF. From the very beginning, they stressed hearing protection. I still have my hearing and don't want to lose any of it for any reason.

I'm involved in several prison ministries. One of them is to sponsor Christian music groups to come in and play. The drummer of one group had lost virtually all his hearing...he had been a life long Harley rider. So he played the drums by what he could feel, which was full volume. To match him, the others in the group would play full volume. I had to go outside the room and with the doors closed, the sound level was tolerable. I don't want to end up like that.

Chris

hearing protection

WHAT ????????

Friedle
large jar of earplugs are a lot cheaper than even cheap hearing aids

hearing protection

In Ohio it is legal for totally deaf folks to ride motorcycles. It is not, however, legal to ride with earplugs in both ears. <SNIP>

Not sure about Ohio, but in NY State it is prohibited to have ear phones inserted in both ears. Noise reducing ear plugs are permitted.

Friedle

I don't leave home without them....in.

In answer to the question posed in the thread title: YES!

This may not be like helmet use. I have ridden with several riders that weren't exposed to riders who regularly wear ear plugs and I offered them a pair of foamies saying it will help reduce fatigue and stress and permit them to ride longer. This was like mana from heaven to them, the riders I introduced these to still wear them when riding.

In the October issue of ON was a very nice article on this topic by Marven Ewen and he speaks about noise levels measured while riding being between 90 and 110 db in city and over 100 while on highway. OSHA requires employers to ensure workers hearing is protected over 85 db over time. The following is an OSHA safety topic on hearing conservation.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

A Roman saying I read in "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell.. The fates lead those that will... Those that won't they drag"

To hear the loud pipes and save lives. :p

I like the bumper sticker to that effect "If loud pipes save lives, think what learning to ride could do!"
I agree with ear plugs, all the time. It's also amazing the difference in the helmet you wear regarding the amount of noise you get.

...the riders I introduced these to still wear them when riding.

Different pair, I hope! On my last sea duty billet there was a seaman who never changed his ear plugs unless he lost them. Claimed they were easier to insert once they got all oily from sweat! :scratch

This may not be like helmet use. I have ridden with several riders that weren't exposed to riders who regularly wear ear plugs and I offered them a pair of foamies saying it will help reduce fatigue and stress and permit them to ride longer. This was like mana from heaven to them, the riders I introduced these to still wear them when riding.

In the October issue of ON was a very nice article on this topic by Marven Ewen and he speaks about noise levels measured while riding being between 90 and 110 db in city and over 100 while on highway. OSHA requires employers to ensure workers hearing is protected over 85 db over time. The following is an OSHA safety topic on hearing conservation.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

A Roman saying I read in "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell.. The fates lead those that will... Those that won't they drag"

The 25~30 dbA on NRR offered by good plugs will only you get down to the upper limit of safe levels when you consider modern 70~80 mph speeds. Accordingly, plugs are a necessity and good windshield & helmet selection are the follow-on efforts.

50 years of aviation, 40 around really loud jets, ear plugs have always been a must
On bikes I have tied the blue wax plugs👎🏻 surefire plugs👎🏻 molded👎🏻 hard plastic👎🏻 and soft foam👍
If their is a better solution out there I'll try it

Back