• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Installing headlights on 1200rtw

It is not as easy as some may say. I recently went through with an upgrade from stock halogen to Cyclops LEDs on my '16 RTP. It takes quite a bit of effort to do this. It may be easier if you're replacing with halogens as the bulbs are smaller than the Cyclops LEDs. I am familiar with the pain of removing the fairing and side panels on these bikes. But, whomever thought that it was an awesome idea to stuff the headlight assembly for the bike behind all these panels, tabs and screws needs to have their brains checked. :D

If you take the speaker pods out, you will get better access to the High beams. See pictures below.

If you are planning to upgrade to LEDs, you are better off taking the 15-30 minutes required to get the panels and headlight assembly out of the bike and on to a work area.

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

Last edited:
Attack it from the front of the bike. Sit facing the bike and then you can reach up under the fairing and access everything.

If you get stuck trying to get the wire clip off, take photo or video with your phone of what it all looks like... it will help you visualize what you have to do with your hands.

After doing it the first time, the next time should only take a couple of minutes.

Back