• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help! Dead Wethead!

Rballou53

I recently acquired a 2016 RTP at auction. It was advertised with no key so I ordered one from BMW. Meanwhile, I discovered a spare key in the storage compartment. I tried turning on the ignition and it is totally dead. If it is an unchipped key won’t a dash light come on? The bike has a new battery and the fuses show continuity with an ohm meter. When I installed the battery, there didn’t seem to be any parasitic draw when I connected the negative terminal. Now I’m at a loss. Any ideas? TIA.

Hopefully the battery is in correctly. :)
Did you actually test and charge the new battery before installing?
Can you activate the 4-way flashers? Push both left and right turn signal switches in at the same time.

Let us know.

OM

The battery is installed with the inside terminal connected to positive and the outboard terminal to negative. I think that’s correct. When I turn on the key no lights come on or needles move. Just as if the battery isn’t installed. The emergency flashers don’t work?

Is the key a fob key? If it's been stored in the bike, it's likely the battery in the fob is dead from constant communication with the bike.

He never mentions a FOB, so I would assume key start, but until he pops back in, who knows for sure?

The key unlocks all the locked items on the bike but I don’t know if it has a chip in it. I have a chipped key ordered from BMW but it hasn’t arrived yet. How can you tell if a key is chipped?

Attachments

• IMG_7504.jpg
    IMG_7504.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 173
The key unlocks all the locked items on the bike but I don’t know if it has a chip in it. I have a chipped key ordered from BMW but it hasn’t arrived yet. How can you tell if a key is chipped?

IIRC there are 4 key options for a 2016 RT:

1. Key fob with flip-out key, for keyless ride. I don’t know if this option was used on that vintage RTP.

2. Emergency key—for keyless ride, a thin plastic chipped key that can be used to start the bike if the fob goes dead. Requires inserting into a particular spot on the bodywork so the chip can be read- see the owners manual.

3. Chipped conventional key, inserts into an ignition switch on the dash and is turned to power on the bike. The chip is read by an antennae ring built into the switch.

4. Unchipped conventional key. These can be used to unlock seats, luggage, storage pockets, etc but will not be able to start the bike. The cheapest key to order as a replacement, many owners order one just to use on the luggage so as to avoid breaking the somewhat fragile flip out key of the keyless ride fob.

I suspect the key you have is #4 and will never start the bike. Assuming your bike has an ignition switch that is turned with a key, the chipped key you ordered should work-tho it may require taking the bike to a dealer to be mated to the bike. They are supposed to come ready to go” when ordered by VIN#, but that sometimes doesn’t work.

If the bike was equipped with keyless ride, you’d need to order a fob. I doubt that’s the case here, tho, as you’d be gasping and complaining at the price. So until the replacement key arrives, you’ll have some time to work on cleaning up the cosmetics and getting familiarized with the Owners Manual. :thumb

Best,
DeVern

IIRC there are 4 key options for a 2016 RT:

1. Key fob with flip-out key, for keyless ride. I don’t know if this option was used on that vintage RTP.

2. Emergency key—for keyless ride, a thin plastic chipped key that can be used to start the bike if the fob goes dead. Requires inserting into a particular spot on the bodywork so the chip can be read- see the owners manual.

3. Chipped conventional key, inserts into an ignition switch on the dash and is turned to power on the bike. The chip is read by an antennae ring built into the switch.

4. Unchipped conventional key. These can be used to unlock seats, luggage, storage pockets, etc but will not be able to start the bike. The cheapest key to order as a replacement, many owners order one just to use on the luggage so as to avoid breaking the somewhat fragile flip out key of the keyless ride fob.

I suspect the key you have is #4 and will never start the bike. Assuming your bike has an ignition switch that is turned with a key, the chipped key you ordered should work-tho it may require taking the bike to a dealer to be mated to the bike. They are supposed to come ready to go” when ordered by VIN#, but that sometimes doesn’t work.

If the bike was equipped with keyless ride, you’d need to order a fob. I doubt that’s the case here, tho, as you’d be gasping and complaining at the price. So until the replacement key arrives, you’ll have some time to work on cleaning up the cosmetics and getting familiarized with the Owners Manual. :thumb

Best,
DeVern

I agree with your case #4. The key I have is pretty heavy duty so it was probably a spare to open up things. The part that fooled me was how nothing comes on when using it in the ignition. I have an un chipped key for my Ford Escape but at least it lights up the dash. It just won’t start. Thanks for all the responses. I’ll just have to wait for the chipped key and keep cleaning.

.... Assuming your bike has an ignition switch that is turned with a key, the chipped key you ordered should work-tho it may require taking the bike to a dealer to be mated to the bike. They are supposed to come ready to go” when ordered by VIN#, but that sometimes doesn’t work.

I ordered a replacement key and supplied the VIN at the time of order. New key arrived and worked right off the bat. Hopefully the OP has the same experience.

I agree with your case #4. The key I have is pretty heavy duty so it was probably a spare to open up things. The part that fooled me was how nothing comes on when using it in the ignition. I have an un chipped key for my Ford Escape but at least it lights up the dash. It just won’t start. Thanks for all the responses. I’ll just have to wait for the chipped key and keep cleaning.

Our non-chipped keys are gray; the chipped keys have all been black.

I own several RTP's. That is an ignition key. None of the RTP's I have use a FOB. If it was on the bike, it is highly likely the correct key.

If it is dead, I would consider other sources. If both fuses are good, the battery is good, maybe the ECM is dead?

I own several RTP's. That is an ignition key. None of the RTP's I have use a FOB. If it was on the bike, it is highly likely the correct key.

If it is dead, I would consider other sources. If both fuses are good, the battery is good, maybe the ECM is dead?
Uh Oh! That doesn’t sound good!😳

As we move along, where did the bike come from? If it was from a municipality, chances are there are records or perhaps someone to talk to about the history.

OM

Probably the first thing to check would be the antenna ring. If the key was reported as lost prior to auction it’s possible the antenna is disconnected or faulty.

Best,
DeVern

Back