• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ignition becoming stiff

beemer01

The ignition switch on my 85 K100RS is becoming stiff and harder to twist with the key.

The shot of WD40 had no effect.

Solution?

stiff ignition

My locksmith told me not to use WD 40 in automotive locks. I would suggest going to an electronics specialty place and getting contact cleaner that is safe for plastics. My BMW tech uses a Wurth spray (silicon I think) that is plastic safe.

There was another thread on this a few months ago.

I use a Canadian silicon spray called Miracle Mist, which is amazing stuff, but very hard to get except in case lots (I have to twist my locksmith's arm to sell it to me by the can).

Rinty

The ignition switch on my 85 K100RS is becoming stiff and harder to twist with the key.

The shot of WD40 had no effect.

Solution?

Locks sometimes like dry graphite but I am not sure about the ignition on an 85 K. I took mine apart and cleaned & lubed it. There is good write-up on this by Don Eilenberger (spelling) on the www.ibmwr.org site.

Roy

First thing I would do is use an electronics cleaner to flush out all the WD40. Then, if the lock still needs help, buy a lock lube from a locksmith you trust. I use Lock Ease, but there are others. Lock Ease has graphite, which is conductive, so use it sparingly.

WD 40 is NOT A LUBRICANT. It is a "water displacement" compound. It's used to get water out of places where it should not be. It seems oily when you first use it but the "oil" evaporates rapidly, leaving you with a lock, or hinge, or whatever, that is just as dry and unlubricated as before.

Get a proper lubricant for the job.

Back