• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to Tie Down a CS?

clowry

I hope someone can help me with this - I've just made arrangements to buy an '04 650 CS and will need to trailer it back home from about 6 hours away. We have a trailer, and I've bought tie-downs. Now I need instructions on just how exactly to go about tying the bike onto the trailer. Please?

Cheryl

What sort of tie-downs do you have?

Securing your CS to the trailer is pretty much like any other bike, it's all about triangulation. You will want the front tire to be up against something that won't move, then take your tie downs and put one on either side of the bike, the handlebar is nice but one on each fork leg will do. These two straps want to go forward and down to pull the front wheel up against the stop. Don't compress the forks too much. Same drill out back, but more perpendicular to the bike. I like to have some sort of blocking on either side of the tires to keep them from sliding left or right on the trailer.

I usually put it in gear and wrap a bungy around the brake lever to minimize the back and forth motion.

Something like this:
port-a-chopper.jpg

The key is getting a good spread between anchor points and finding tie-offs on the bike that clear the painted areas.

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I have the woven type tie downs with ratchets, and a 'Trailer in a Bag'. Just wasn't sure if there were instructions specific to this type of bike, as it's new to me.

Back