• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150GS: Best tie down practices

simonak3000

Hi.
I need to bring to bring my R1150GS on a 8H trip with my, since im moving back to uni for the start of the semester. Im wondering what is the best way to tie down a R1150GS on a truck bed? When I bought it, I did 700km to bring it back home in my truck, being tied down exactly like in the first picture.
354300342_6508211955968170_8014850264159694399_n.jpg

Basically I put 2 straps on each sides of the front, looping around the handlebars. in order to no put pressure on the indicators, I put a third strap in the front, bringing the other 2 together and away front the indicators. Im wondering if there is a better way to do this. Right now my upper front fender (beak) is off, since im waiting on a new one to arrive in the mail. Could I strap it down on the 2 steel tubes holding the headlight assembly? Would they be strong enough? See second pic for reference:
369133072_2365577143626833_8110787496263437827_n.jpg

Im not too worried about the back, since I can tie it down pretty easily on the pillion footrest frame. The idea is to strap it higher than the suspension, in order to press it down a bit, to take up some eventual slack on the way. Let me know what you guys think.

I use a pair of ratchet straps. One end is attached to the fork sliders, just above the telelever, and the other end to a hook recessed unto the trailer floor. Ratcheting down from those attachment points puts pressure only on the front tire—no constant compression of the front suspension—and keeps hooks, straps, ratchets, etc. away from handlebar, blinkers, and bodywork. Add a couple tie down straps to tie down/stabilize the rear end and it’s good to go.

Best,
DeVern

I use a pair of ratchet straps. One end is attached to the fork sliders, just above the telelever, and the other end to a hook recessed unto the trailer floor. Ratcheting down from those attachment points puts pressure only on the front tire—no constant compression of the front suspension—and keeps hooks, straps, ratchets, etc. away from handlebar, blinkers, and bodywork. Add a couple tie down straps to tie down/stabilize the rear end and it’s good to go.

Best,
DeVern
Ok so you are not actually compressing the suspension, but just the front tire? Because from what I understand The slider is on the wheel end of the suspension

For the front, I strap just above the fork brace. For the rear, I put the bike in gear, and then strap around the top of the wheel on either side. This insures that the bike is securely held to the trailer/truck bed and allows the bike to ride ride up and down on its suspension without worrying about straps loosening or keeping the suspension under constant compression.

Doug

Do you let a little bit of air out of the tire or do you go as is?

No, regular pressure. I tie down into a U-style chock that doesn’t allow the wheel to turn sideways or move sideways, and cinch down tight enough to slightly compress the front tire.

Best,
DeVern

Back