• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How far south is safe! (no snow Mid January)

rick601

My son and I would like to take a multi-day ride this winter, he can get some time off mid-January and we live in upstate NY (Otsego County). The plan is to trailer far enough south that snow and ice are not a probability (i didn't say possibility!) So the question is, generally (by latitude or cities) how far south do we have to go before we can go from 4 wheels to two? I don't mind cold, just want to avoid ice, snow and salt.

So, you're looking at trailering one day south, riding for two days, then trailering back? What would be destinations that are inviting for you once you get south? Maybe you should work backwards with a riding area, then checking almanac weather around a largish city on the northern edge of your proposed riding area.

I would suggest the area around Greenville, SC. A lot of good riding in upstate SC and northern GA. Our snow is typically in late Feb.and early March. I ride year round in this area. Additionally there is a BMW dealer in Greenville and Asheville, NC.

Once you get a taste of the roads in SC & GA, come back for the Fontana Dam BMW MOA Weekend Getaway in late April (usually the 3rd week).

Once you get a taste of the roads in SC & GA, come back for the Fontana Dam BMW MOA Weekend Getaway in late April (usually the 3rd week).

Rode down to Wilmington SC this (last?) summer- nice - and Ashville a few summers ago- definitely loving the south- though Nova Scotia was something else- and cooler for my thick Northern blood!

So, you're looking at trailering one day south, riding for two days, then trailering back? What would be destinations that are inviting for you once you get south? Maybe you should work backwards with a riding area, then checking almanac weather around a largish city on the northern edge of your proposed riding area.

Well, when we have some idea of where we start the real ride, we can pick a destination- he has a friend in Arkansas and I a cuz in Ashville, though when we travel, it's more for the riding than the visiting. Besides, as you observed, if we're lucky, we'll get maybe three full days of riding. On the other hand, the word "destination" is misleading- we have (let's say) three days to get back to the car and trailer!!lol

To your suggestion (we are early thinking so we don't know how much time he'll have) I'm looking for the Northernmost edge of mid-January ridable, ) then we can get reasonable about where. That's also why I was thinking that geolocation (latitude) might be a better way to approach this.

Back