• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help with removing battery from a K75?

Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I'm trying to remove the battery from my K75. My first time. My Clymer manual says to "insert a long screwdriver into the hole in the top cover and move it forward". I don't see mine sliding forward at all. Then I am to "pull the electrical connector toward the rear and disconnect it from the fuel injection unit" It appears to me that there is about 1/8", at most, at the rear of that bundle before it hits the plastic tab that encases it. How can I pull it toward the rear? I'd rather not break any parts of this critical assembly. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN1654.jpg
    DSCN1654.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN1655.jpg
    DSCN1655.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 101
J,

If you were the one that removed the phillips head screw that went in the hole on the left end of the connector in your second picture, put it back. That screw never needs to be removed. It holds the connector together.

The clip you can see through the hole needs to be held towards the rear as you are pulling on the wire end of the connector.

:dance:dance:dance

Slide the little metal latch rearward and pull the cable (rearward) end of the big plug out of the connector more or less straight sideways. The front end of the big plug has a "hook" on it. Once the plug is clear of the connector the whole connector can move slightly rearward to unhook the forward end.

Then go to the right side of the motorcycle and find the black pin down through the rubber grommet. Pull it straight up. Once the plastic pin is out you can slide the whole LJetronik to the left and out of the tray.

Then pull up the back of the tray and wiggle it rearward and up and out.

Then two long battery hold down screws and the cables. Do the ground cable first.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I followed your directions and got the battery out. I see the two problems I was having. For one, the Haynes manual tells you to move the clip forward, exactly opposite of what is needed. I'm surprised at that. The other problem is that the vinyl sheathing on the wire bundle of mine is so stiff at the moment ( it's about 25 degrees right now in my garage. I should have waited.) that I needed to pull it out of the frame so that it was loose enough to let the whole assembly move outward. Once I did that it came out, as you say, very easily.

Anyone know what size that screw is that I am missing on the front of bundle? Who knows why it was taken out. I'd like to replace it. I didn't even notice that it was gone. Thanks.

Anyone know what size that screw is that I am missing on the front of bundle? Who knows why it was taken out. I'd like to replace it. I didn't even notice that it was gone. Thanks.

It's a sheet metal type screw about 1/2" long.

If I remember, I'll try and get the exact dimensions tomorrow when I get out to the shop.

It's a sheet metal type screw about 1/2" long.

If I remember, I'll try and get the exact dimensions tomorrow when I get out to the shop.

Thanks Lee, I appreciate it. I figured it was a very small metric thread. If it is sheet metal it should be easier to find.

It is a 1/2" long #5-20 Phillips pan head screw with a blunt point. .119" diameter 20 threads per inch .460" long

screw.jpg

Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I'm trying to remove the battery from my K75. My first time. My Clymer manual says to "insert a long screwdriver into the hole in the top cover and move it forward". I don't see mine sliding forward at all. Then I am to "pull the electrical connector toward the rear and disconnect it from the fuel injection unit" It appears to me that there is about 1/8", at most, at the rear of that bundle before it hits the plastic tab that encases it. How can I pull it toward the rear? I'd rather not break any parts of this critical assembly. Thanks.

I completely forgot how nicely BMW configured that battery box. Trip the latch, pull the cable and raise the tool tray........done.

29-yrs later and I'm still impressed with the K75.

K100 with Big Mereg Battery: Extra removal trick

Do everything Paul said and realize that the plastic rear wheel "internal fender" flexes a little bit. Push the battery tight to it so it bends a little to give a little more room to tip back the battery and slide up and back and out.

Back