• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Issue!

Pat Carol

Ambassador
Well some of you may have heard about a motorcycle/deer crash that happened to my friend in route too Spokane in 2004.
Here it is 2009. The Touring Club of Detroit had our annual Edmund Fitzgerald Run in Tawas, Michigan, November 6-7 & 8. The weather was perfect for riding. I of course dropped off the firewood and had to be back to work at the fire department so, I could not stay and enjoy good company of my family.
It was about 6:00 p.m. on Saturday. The group departed and headed to the eatery for supper. I was here at the fire station and recieved a phone call from a Tawas police officer. The officer stated that my friend struck a deer and was being transported by ambulance to Tawas St. Joe's Hospital. I was pinging! I could care a less about my friend's bike. I am concerned for my friend.
I am just devestated knowing that my good friend has struck a deer. What makes me feel worse is the deja vu involved. This is the same guy that struck a ten point buck in Idaho. Two point's for the deer, 0 point's for my friend.
Now this is why I support Vince's stance on helmet's. In 2004 when my friend struck the deer in Idaho. The first point of impact to the ground was his helmet starting at the forehead then the face shield and chin bar. Thank God he was saved by his helmet and quality riding gear.
My friend's second deer strike on Saturday evening was a near death experience for him. His speed was approximately 25 mile's per hour. The deer was a full size doe. My friend's first point of impact was the right side of his head. Upon the ambulance arrival, the crew found my friend unconscious.
Upon arrival to the ER, the staff immediately rolled my friend in for a CT scan. It was discovered that he was suffering from a bleed on his brain. The ER staff immediately had him transported to Saginaw St. Mary's Hospital for a neurosurgeon and more difinative treatment. My friend did regain consciousness.
The hospital staff at Saginaw kept my friend in their facility up until this past Tuesday. He is home and recovering. It was determined that the bleeding had stopped and that the blood on his brain was slowly going away. At this time my friend has some speech issue's and will need some occupational therapy. He also has a real nasty headache along with numerous contusion's.
Please don't let me disappoint you. This is my personal opinion. I must agree with Vince Winkel about his helmet stance. More than likely, I would have been attending a funeral instead of riding up to Sault Ste Marie, Ontario and visiting my sweety this past Wednesday.
Please keep this in your mind on the decision's you make on whether you wear a helmet. I have always stated that all of you are my family. If you have a choice, do the right thing and wear a helmet. You all look much better at a rally holding a cold beer, kicking lie's and telling tire's than being displayed in a coffin. I hate to sound like a nag or Father Goose. I care about all of you and Vince is right!

Take Care & Ride Safe
Pat Carol

Wow..........Amazing. Hope he recovers fully. And only 25 mph? I often think I need to slow down when I'm going around those bends in the road this time of year, but how much more careful can a person be than 25 mph?
Thanks for the reality check.

I can't agree more...here's to a healthy recovery for your bud. My recent deer get off makes this even more a point well taken.

If I may point out the obvious .... If your friend had been driving a car, the results
may have been just a broken headlight and a call to the insurance company, instead of a
near death experience. Choosing to ride puts us at risk, choosing not to wear a helmet
just moves the risk factor up a notch. I wear a helmet, but don't begrudge my buddies
who don't, as my friends that don't ride do not criticize me for riding.

Wearing a helmet in Iowa is an option. An option I choose to exercise. I am glad to hear your friend is recovering.

It's my policy to never ride in a group that contains someone riding without a helmet.

I think of it the same way as forcing smokers to go outside the building.

Hey all; Pat I'm thankful that your bud is recovering, these deer around here are too numerous for sure. Let me relate a (thankfully) short story about our last "Bambi- cycle interface"; The better half and I were on our way to work one night about six years ago. It was @ 9:30 on a June evening. We were traveling around 40 MPH when a eight point buck leaped from the bush's into the side of our Goldwind. The bike was totaled, and the wife and I ended up in the E.R.. She was released that same evening, while I was kept for a week due to internal injuries. Thanks to wearing the proper gear, the rash was kept to a minimum, and our helmets took the brunt of the impact. My wife's helmet, a 3/4 coverage Fulmer, was cracked where it impacted the ground, while my helmet, (a flip front Fulmer, three days old) was ground down 3/4 the way through on the chin bar.Had it not been for the safety equipment the injuries would have been far mare severe. Wear your gear, all the time!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Thanks for the reminder that gear can make a difference.

Ride Well
Ride Often
Ride to :eat (but not bambi)

I have a good friend who lost his son three years ago due to a deer. He wasn't wearing a helmet because he was riding at a modest speed at night on a country road with no traffic and he thought it was safe. He did not hit a deer, a deer hit him. The deer was apparently running when it crossed the road because the hoof punctured the rider's lung. He struck his head when he fell and brain swelling put him in a coma. The family removed life support a couple of days after he was brain dead so they could donate his organs.

Ken

You know, we all do some dumb things, at times. I'll be in the woodshop without earplugs or a respirator, but then my wife comes by an reminds me that she would like me to be around for a long time........so on goes the gear. Yep, it's a hassle, but it's a good thing.

For the life of me, I can't understand the helmet issue (or the gun issue, or the muffler issue, or the smoking issue, etc). The lunatic fringe has obviously taken control of the asylum and the rest of us are just watching, often in horror/disgust.

A speedy and healthy recovery for your friend. :)

All this talk about deer just reminded me of a potentially fatal event I could've had while doing the Sturgis thing many years back. While flying through the Black Hills in the dead of night with my club on our Harleys half drunk riding two abreast WITHOUT HELMETS, we passed a herd of deer grazing on the right side of the road. They were just as surprised as we were as their heads popped up and by then we had passed them.

Somebody was watching out for a bunch of old fools that night.

speedy recovery for your chum.I know just about every time I've wiped out some how my helmet scrapes plows or bangs into something and usually in the face area.i can't imagine riding with out one myself.

Choosing to ride puts us at risk, choosing not to wear a helmet
just moves the risk factor up a notch. I wear a helmet, but don't begrudge my buddies
who don't, as my friends that don't ride do not criticize me for riding.

I agree.

I can't understand the helmet issue (or the gun issue, .

What is the gun issue?

Back