• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heed crash bars

I think you will be grinding footpegs long before the bars touch down.

If you are doing that, then you should shift more of your weight to the inside so the bike leans less.

If you are already shifting all your weight inside and the pegs are still touching down, you should probably be on a track instead of the road.

Last edited:
I know this is a old thread. But I just installed the Heed crash bars front and back on my 2010. The rear ones were not too hard to install. The front/engine ones, hah they were a different story.

Sadly not much documentation on the forums regarding the engine through bolt. Some stated that one should be able to slide the bolt in and out freely if you compress the suspension just right. My biggest difficulty was not being able to compress the front strut properly or enough and may have been related to my newly installed front strut from Wilbers with ESA II. I bought a front wheel chock and used two ratchet ties. No matter how tight I did the ties the suspension would not compress enough.

So I thought, OK, why not remove the front strut out of the picture. I unbolted the bottom of the front strut and then jacked up the engine to lower the front wheel. Magic, the bolt moved freely! But the head of the bolt now collided with a pivoting part of the engine, sorry don't know what to call the item.

So I took a chance, and compressed the suspension just enough so the head of the bolt would clear the above mentioned engine piece. Took the Heed through bolt and hammered it in from the opposite side to drive the stock bolt out. Bingo. It all works.

I am not thrilled with how the bottom rear of the Heed bars attach to the engine. So I may in the future look at something like the T-Rex engine guards.

I know this is a old thread. But I just installed the Heed crash bars front and back on my 2010. The rear ones were not too hard to install. The front/engine ones, hah they were a different story.

Sadly not much documentation on the forums regarding the engine through bolt. Some stated that one should be able to slide the bolt in and out freely if you compress the suspension just right. My biggest difficulty was not being able to compress the front strut properly or enough and may have been related to my newly installed front strut from Wilbers with ESA II. I bought a front wheel chock and used two ratchet ties. No matter how tight I did the ties the suspension would not compress enough.

So I thought, OK, why not remove the front strut out of the picture. I unbolted the bottom of the front strut and then jacked up the engine to lower the front wheel. Magic, the bolt moved freely! But the head of the bolt now collided with a pivoting part of the engine, sorry don't know what to call the item.

So I took a chance, and compressed the suspension just enough so the head of the bolt would clear the above mentioned engine piece. Took the Heed through bolt and hammered it in from the opposite side to drive the stock bolt out. Bingo. It all works.

I am not thrilled with how the bottom rear of the Heed bars attach to the engine. So I may in the future look at something like the T-Rex engine guards.

It is an old thread, and I’m not sure how busy this site is, but I just installed the Heed engine protection bars on my 2011 RT. I had trouble getting the bolt out that went through the engine. Even with the front suspension compressed. Everything else went fine. I like them so far, except taking the right side plastics off, and putting them back on. The right side is really tight to get the plastics in place. I hadn’t thought about how the rear bolts attach to the engine. I’ll have to look at them more closely.
If you do decide to swap them out for something else, or have a problem, please post it here.
Thx

I like them so far, except taking the right side plastics off, and putting them back on. The right side is really tight to get the plastics in place.

The Heed bars look like a very close copy of the Wunderlich bars on my RT. I can (carefully) remove the lower fairing on both sides without touching the guards. Lift the top edge outward away from the tank, then rotate the fairing forward about 90 degrees, so the front edge is pointing down and the cylinder passes through the front gap in the fairing as it is lifted vertically. Might be a good idea to have a helper the first couple times you try this, as you need to watch all edges of the fairing at the same time.

Back