• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS headlight protector from China

No, but I used something similar and found that the mesh pattern creates undesirable patterns in the lighting.

For years I've used the 14 mil protective film from Aerostich, it comes in square sheets that you apply & trim to fit. This stuff has taken some serious whacks with no damage to the headlight glass.

Ian

4910_2a.jpg

I have a similar one (Amazon purchase) on my GSA. Haven’t done much night riding, but i haven’t seen any I’ll effects of this at night. My only gripe so far about it is that it is installed with only the two top bolts as the lower mount locations do not line up at all. I’ll know more when I take the fairing off to install the D7 mounting bracket.

9ae6626c5fb21001dc17f886f0281b64.jpg

No, but I used something similar and found that the mesh pattern creates undesirable patterns in the lighting.

Same results here - I eliminated the Mesh part and just use the Clear Lens and haven't had any issues.

Nope, have always used these as I like to be able to access the headlight for cleaning without needing tools. Made in the USA, as well.

Best,
DeVern

I put their headlight protector on the RS, I had to replace both low beams that burned out. The Stugis, SD BMW mechanic [ we were on a trip and they fit me in ] told me it was likely the result of headlight assembly not getting enough airflow in the heat.

I took it off and threw it away before more bulbs gave up the ghost while 2K miles from home.

I put their headlight protector on the RS, I had to replace both low beams that burned out. The Stugis, SD BMW mechanic [ we were on a trip and they fit me in ] told me it was likely the result of headlight assembly not getting enough airflow in the heat.

I took it off and threw it away before more bulbs gave up the ghost while 2K miles from home.
That's just absurd.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

That's just absurd.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Ya, I thought so too. But having them on just about 2 weeks before last summers trip and never having to replace a bulb before using it, then losing both low and then high beam [ as it had to be used till I got to a dealer to replace the low beam ]. I didn't notice the high beam had also burned out on the ride from Keystone to Sturgis BMW [ just a 50 mile ride ]. When he brought the bike back out to the lot, he mentioned the high beam was out and well and now both were replaced and good to go.

Then he mentioned the protector probably wasn't letting enough air cooling the unit. Since I've taken them off last summer, I've not had another bulb out. Go figure, absurd idea or not, these are the facts on this bike and that product.

I can live without the headlight protector, what I can't abide by is having both bulbs go out within a month on a trip where the nearest dealer [ if I were in Wyoming ] would be 400 miles away. Fortunately the low beam went out as we were 2 days out of Keystone. I called with the issue, they had me come in no appt and replaced both in less than 45 minutes and we were back on the road.

I live where it gets to 115-118F during the summer months of riding. Lows may be 105-110 for months here. I see you live in BC, no such problem with the heat in your area I'm sure.

Ya, I thought so too. But having them on just about 2 weeks before last summers trip and never having to replace a bulb before using it, then losing both low and then high beam [ as it had to be used till I got to a dealer to replace the low beam ]. I didn't notice the high beam had also burned out on the ride from Keystone to Sturgis BMW [ just a 50 mile ride ]. When he brought the bike back out to the lot, he mentioned the high beam was out and well and now both were replaced and good to go.

Then he mentioned the protector probably wasn't letting enough air cooling the unit. Since I've taken them off last summer, I've not had another bulb out. Go figure, absurd idea or not, these are the facts on this bike and that product.

I can live without the headlight protector, what I can't abide by is having both bulbs go out within a month on a trip where the nearest dealer [ if I were in Wyoming ] would be 400 miles away. Fortunately the low beam went out as we were 2 days out of Keystone. I called with the issue, they had me come in no appt and replaced both in less than 45 minutes and we were back on the road.

I live where it gets to 115-118F during the summer months of riding. Lows may be 105-110 for months here. I see you live in BC, no such problem with the heat in your area I'm sure.

LED or halogen bulb?

The filament (i.e. the part that burns out) of a halogen bulb has an operating temp of at least 3600F. The suggestion that a few tens of degrees difference in ambient temperature or in cooling air makes any difference in bulb life is absurd.

Last edited:
I like this one from AltRider. I use the polycarbonate-only version with no grill. Mine has acquired one or two very small chips, I assume from rocks I have encountered. Not cheap, but it is well made and easy to pop off for cleaning.

Ken

Yep it is very nice.

You can even drill the bottom holes out and use a under beak aux light mount kit. I really wanted my lights off the OEM crash bars, and up higher.

Only pic I have but you get the idea for sure.

Yellow+Denali+Dragon.jpg

It has held up for 5 years and is pretty easy to pull off and clean and slap it back on. It does have some hits on it but still looks fine. I really like mine a lot. That said over the years I don't think I have read a stone or debris induced broken headlight in my years on BMW Forums.

And deer strikes do not count as debris:)

I have a buddy who has one and likes it just fine. Me personally I use a clear film from LaminX. Economical. Easy on and off. Super clear and no worries about air flow for cooling the LED elements.

LED or halogen bulb?

The filament (i.e. the part that burns out) of a halogen bulb has an operating temp of at least 3600F. The suggestion that a few tens of degrees difference in ambient temperature or in cooling air makes any difference in bulb life is absurd.

All I can tel you is the before install [ no bulbs burned out ], what happened within a month after I installed it and what's happened since I removed it [ no bulbs burned out ].

Cause and affect seems to suggest the only thing that changed was that item installed and then removed. I'm not interested in the science behind your post, I'm interested in NOT having my lights burn out after having installed it. It's a non essential item, I've moved on from that fiasco. ;)

My last H-7 (brand name) failure occurred in about 3 miles. The auto parts store did an exchange. I don't get a long time out the H-7 low beam on my F800GS.
Not a big deal.
OM

I like this one from AltRider. I use the polycarbonate-only version with no grill. Mine has acquired one or two very small chips, I assume from rocks I have encountered. Not cheap, but it is well made and easy to pop off for cleaning.

Ken

I use the AltRider shield as well. Great protection and as you mentioned, fabulously easy to clean

All I can tel you is the before install [ no bulbs burned out ], what happened within a month after I installed it and what's happened since I removed it [ no bulbs burned out ].

Cause and affect seems to suggest the only thing that changed was that item installed and then removed. I'm not interested in the science behind your post, I'm interested in NOT having my lights burn out after having installed it. It's a non essential item, I've moved on from that fiasco. ;)

Halogen lights all have a finite lifespan. How many miles/hours were on the bulbs that burned out? Could the bulbs have reached their end-of-life just after your install? How many miles/hours are on the new bulbs?

Back