• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headlight bulbs 09 R12RT

after about 24000 miles the right (hardest to replace) headlight bulbs burned out....while waiting for replacements (Philips H7 X-treme Power) i exchanged the high beam with the burnt out bulb with the help of a coworker (his eyes, my hands)....i have since replace all three bulbs with the Phillips and also ordered DDM HIDs for my RT.....figured i would need to pull most of the front plastics off to fit the ballasts and such....i do not have the COM system so i would suspect there will be plenty of room....

BTW, changing headlight bulbs on a 2013 RT may not be the easiest job in the world but with a helper's eyes it only took us about 15 min to change all three bulbs...

wyman

I just installed the DDM tuning HID kit and I fitted the ballasts behind the speaker grills and used their bracket to attach them to one of the screws behind the mirrors.

My headlight bulbs burn out about once a year (one or the other) and I now obviously have two different lights on either side. So rather than buying overpriced bulbs at the dealer I'm thinking an H7 bulb is maybe an H7 bulb. Can I just go to the auto parts store and pick up a couple H7 Sylvania Silverstars?

I notice that very few lights will tell you how many hours they are good for.

Thanks,
I spent the first 4 years and 120k unhappily changing bulbs on my 2010 RT. At one time I thought I had enough DATA to say the Korean made NAPA and Walmart H7's didn't last as long as the European OEM bulbs. Now I'm not sure. I switched to HID's this Winter with reliability in mind, I really didn't need more light. I came across a reference to the H7's lasting "500 hours" which is 25k @ 50 mph. That's the absolute most I ever got.

Just had to change my bulbs for the first time on my '13 RT. 22,500 miles and the right one went out. Replaced with my favorite, the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited. $40 a pair from Powerbulbs. Brighter and the color comes closer to matching my Clearwater LEDs. I'm ok, with changing them every 20k or so for now. I've gotten used to how annoying it is (the right side is just a pain because different steps need to be attacked from different angles to get it done). I have HIDs on my R1200S and don't really like them all that much. Maybe the color tone is a little too white/bluish.

Back