• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Has anyone installed a Sena 20S or similar on a Shoei GT Air 2?

RUNNOR

Hey everybody,
I ride with wired custom earbuds which work nicely with the Sena 20S unit because it has a 3.5mm earbud port. I needed a new helmet and just bought the Shoei GT Air 2. Of course after I bought this helmet, I learned that the Sena SRL2 unit which is made to be installed internally into this helmet does not have a 3.5mm port. (yup that was my mistake) So I'm in need of some advice on how to either modify the SRL 2 to add a 3.5MM port, or how to install the 20S onto the helmet.
I'd rather not use the adhesive mounting option on my new helmet if possible. The clamp kit is a challenge with the location of the internal helmet liner/pad snap connectors. it appears its going to have to be located way back of the removable plastic piece for the SRL. I'm hoping someone out there has successfully done this?

Help please!
John

There are some YT videos where people installed Sena20s or 30K or Cardo etc on GT Air 2 and Neotec 2. As you mentioned most of them had to move it a bit backward (someone managed to put the unit on top of the default space by removing the plastic spacer for SRL 2). Please do a search you will definitely find a few.

Here a YT video by someone installing a Neotec 2 and Cardo by removing the plastic spacer and mounting on top of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIs1psWgng8

Modifying the SRL2 for a 3.5mm jack would be more tedious I guess as it has little space on the main unit at the back.

I just bought GT Air2 and SRL2 and installed them. Works really fine and I like the seamless integration. Is there a reason why you cannot use the SRL 2 speakers?

Hi Jay,
Thanks for your reply.
I’ve searched YT and found only installations on a Neotech 2. They make me think the location of the liner snaps to the helmet shell may be somewhat different than on the GT Air. On my helmet, these are kind of in the way of where I’d like to put the 20s clamp.

I prefer to use the custom earbuds just because of the sound quality and the amount of noise they keep out while riding. I may have to go with the SRL unit and use the speakers however. On that subject, I’ve heard that there are HD speakers for the SRL unit either available now or soon to come out that would improve the sound quality of the standard speakers? Have you heard of this?
Thanks again for your reply.
John

Here is my GT Air2 with Sena SRL2

shoei2.jpg

You may be right, but since both GT Air2 and Neotec 2 have the same SRL fitment, I thought the back halves of the helmets are similar. Either way I think you can fit it with some fiddling and by removing the plastic piece or fitting further back.

I understand your concern about sound quality as I am an audio enthusiast myself (my go to earbuds are CA Andromedas :) ). But in case of helmets I am fine with these since there are surrounding noises anyway as well as I do not need too much silence so that I am aware of the surroundings, or at least that is what I prefer while riding or driving ( I never play anything loud even in the car). Never heard of HD speakers though, will try later if they ever come out. I am not sure you can easily replace them with integrated units like SRL2 (all connections are internal) while it could be possible with stand alone and detachable / pluggable units like Sena 20s or 30K etc. For SRLs everything is soldered I guess other than the mic. There is a post in Sena community forum where someone said it cannot be done.

You can also use normal earplugs with SRL2 for a more silent setup.

Last edited:
Morning Jay,
Appreciate the picture and your thoughts. I'll go back and do some more fiddling with the 20S. Good to know you are happy with your integral unit. I may go that way after all.
Hope you have a great day.
John

I installed my 20S on a GT Air II and a Neotec. There is room directly under the drop down visor lever. You don't have to remove the plastic filler plate.

Back