• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Grinding low gears

2,500? I would still be in first, even if I was flower sniffing. I like to keep the RPM over 3,500.

Same. Different engine, but I don’t like to lug around. I’m even thinking of changing the drive sprocket ratio to get higher revs around town.

Ever turned on the shift-up indicator? You'd be amazed... Most of the time I'm just in town, not going fast. This thing pulls hard from idle, and there is no need to keep the revs up. It's just so smooth shifting at 2k.

I don't own motorcycle with a shift up indicator. My 1984 Pontiac Fiero had one. It was a joke.

Ever turned on the shift-up indicator? You'd be amazed... Most of the time I'm just in town, not going fast. This thing pulls hard from idle, and there is no need to keep the revs up. It's just so smooth shifting at 2k.

The shift indicator would have you in 6th at 50 MPH too. Just 'cuz BMW says you can do it doesn't mean it is correct.

IMO, 2,500 RPM is to low for turning the power on. My 2018 RT will pull from 2,500, but the engine just doesn't sound or feel very happy at that RPM. I might run down to 3,000 idling around town, but if I plan on accelerating, I downshift and run it up to at least 4,500. Mine will see redline fairly often. On the highway I never run under 3,500.

IMO, 2,500 RPM is to low for turning the power on.
Again, toodling, not "turning the power on"...
And an RT is heavier than an R.

Edit: It's almost like all you people run WOT every time you start from a stop or something...

Finally found the guy that bought the Fiero :wave
:)
OM

I'll tell that story. Voni decided she wanted a Fiero. I did some research and told her that would be a bad idea. One of her students found a nice (Red of course) 1984 Fiero for her to look at. I showed her my "research". The then current Consumer Reports book Guide to Used Cars had, out of all the makes and models listed, just one - exactly just one - "Do Not Buy This Car" recommendation. The Pontiac Fiero. So she bought it anyway because she liked it and wanted to. Within a month or two I bought a Ford Bronco II, a highly recommended model. So in the few years we owned these two vehicles I had several issues and breakdowns with my Bronco II: brake lines, water pump, alternator etc. Her Fiero was flawless with only one repair beyond routine stuff like oil changes. I had to replace a battery cable the second day we owned it. I am reminded of this experience every time I look at vehicle ratings.

Last edited:
I'll tell that story. Voni decided she wanted a Fiero. I did some research and told her that would be a bad idea. One of her students found a nice (Red of course) 1984 Fiero for her to look at. I showed her my "research". The then current Consumer Reports book Guide to Used Cars had, out of all the makes and models listed, just one - exactly just one - Do Not Buy recommendation. The Pontiac Fiero. So she bought it anyway because she liked it and wanted to. Within a month or two I bought a Ford Bronco II, a highly recommended model. So in the few years we owned these two vehicles I had several issues and breakdowns with my Bronco II: brake lines, water pump, alternator etc. Her Fiero was flawless with only one repair beyond routine stuff like oil changes. I had to replace a battery cable. I am reminded of this experience every time I look at vehicle ratings.

As you know, I was kidding. I have seen an amazing amount of questionable vehicles do just fine....... and the highest touted go to POS status almost immediately.
I seem to remember a 2-stroke Subaru from the early 70’s.... may still be running.
OM

Again, toodling, not "turning the power on"...
And an RT is heavier than an R.

Edit: It's almost like all you people run WOT every time you start from a stop or something...

But you did say it pulls hard from idle.

With red line at 9,000 RPM I have a long way to go shifting at 4,500. You can shift at most any RPM and not run WOT.

Back