• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Grinding low gears

lcarter

I acquired a 2018 RT after owning a 2094 RT. I love the new bike but the low gears are skipping and grinding into gear...I have to really step it into gear. This is not a problem in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. The bike has 9,000 miles. Is this a problem or is the bike still breaking in?
Thanks for any advice.

I acquired a 2018 RT after owning a 2094 RT. I love the new bike but the low gears are skipping and grinding into gear...I have to really step it into gear. This is not a problem in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. The bike has 9,000 miles. Is this a problem or is the bike still breaking in?
Thanks for any advice.

I would say it is a problem. I assume it is still under warranty and I would hot foot it (hot tire it) to my nearest favorite dealership.

You could have a friend drive it....... preferably not letting them know of your concerns. See if they notice anything. Not really sure of the year of your last bike, if you put a lot of time on it, could be your muscle memory.
Good luck.
OM

That's not normal, broken in or not. My first suspect would be the clutch, but my first solution would be a warranty repair.

First of all, congratulations on your new scoot and welcome!

Are you using the clutch for shifting or the "shift-assist" function without using the clutch?

If you're using the clutch then there is a problem. The shifting should be unremarkable; just like any other good bike. There should be no issues going up or down on any of the shifts except for a minor "thunk" shifting into first while stopped which is common to most any brand or model of bike.

If you're using the shift-assist there is an optimal technique:

When shifting up, do not close the throttle. I never get truly smooth shifts going into second or third, but from forth and up it shifts smoothly without issue.

When shifting down, close the throttle or the shift can be clunky indeed. My experience downshifting with the shift assist (with the throttle closed) is that it's so smooth the primary way I notice I've shifted is the change in engine rpm. It's great when carrying a passenger; no helmet-clunking "turtle kiss".

If you're using the proper shift-assist technique and still getting lousy shifting then something is wrong. Get thee to a dealer.

Good luck with it and please let us know what you find out.

If you're using the shift-assist there is an optimal technique:

When shifting up, do not close the throttle. I never get truly smooth shifts going into second or third, but from forth and up it shifts smoothly without issue.

When shifting down, close the throttle or the shift can be clunky indeed...

Thanks for this. I was getting clunky shifts with the SAP on my '18 RS, so I quit using it. But it's the smoothest shifting BMW I've ever ridden. I'm wondering if it's partly because of the skinny oil that it runs in.

me too

I have a 2017 RT that also is 'nasty' when it comes to shifting in the low gears. I only have 5 K on bike so was told once it breaks in it will be better. Also told I need to 'pre load' shift. All I can say is that my old 2005 RT shifted a lot smoother.
I'm actually considering changing to a K16B or wait for the 'new' 2022 RT comes out since I am not enjoying my experience with this bike trani so far. Rest of the bike is fine though. Does anyone know if adding the quick shifter helps shifting when the clutch is still used?

I acquired a 2018 RT ...the low gears are skipping and grinding into gear......The bike has 9,000 miles.

Do you know when the oil was changed? You say you have 9k miles, but did you have the oil changed when you got it? I have similar behavior in my 2017 RT. I found that I can "tune" the shifting by changing the brand of oil. Staying only with oils with the BMW-approved spec, I tried Ravenol, Shell rotella T6, and Castrol 4T, and whatever was in the bike when I bought it (Advantec?). The smoothest shifts 1-2-3 were with Ravenol, followed by Castrol. The clunkiest shifts were with Rotella.

Changing the oil is a cheap way to see if the shifting improves for you.

Cap

lcarter, In model year 2017 BMW introduced upgrades to the boxer transmission that made them smoother to shift. We have two 2017 GS/As and do not experience anything like the problem you describe; I believe the RT has the same transmission as the RT. Clutch adjustment could cause issues, but you should follow Paul's advice and get it to a dealer to sort out under warranty.

I'll second Stooie on the Shift-Assist technique. I too have the 2018 RT and although it typically clunks into 1st after starting, for the most part it's a pretty smooth shifting gearbox. I also limit shift-assist upshifts to 4th, 5th and 6th gear. I'm fine going down to 2nd on the downshifts, but typically only go to 3rd especially when coming to a stop. Down to 2nd and 1st is always with the clutch pulled in.

The initial clunk can be pretty jarring, but I say it's normal and I'd be surprised if there is any defect with your gearbox. I'm happy with mine at 9K miles with Motul 7100 for oil.

I think the OP is using the clutch to shift, not GAP. I suspect he has a clutch adjustment issue based on his description. I have also found that shifting into 1st gear at 10mph or less results in zero "clunk". Try it.

I think the OP is using the clutch to shift, not GAP. I suspect he has a clutch adjustment issue based on his description. I have also found that shifting into 1st gear at 10mph or less results in zero "clunk". Try it.

How exactly does one adjust the clutch on a 2018 RT?

Carefully? I should have just said a clutch issue and not a clutch adjustment issue. Mea culpa!

Shifting technique makes a difference

It may just be me, but after about 50,000 miles on my ‘16 RT I’ve found out how to make the bike shift like, er, a Honda. Meaning: snick. I’ve been riding Beemers since 1977 (R75, three R100s, R80 RT, R1150 RT. All have shifted with that clunk that sometimes sounds like it’s going to be the final shift. But they kept going. When I started riding my ‘16 RT, a few years ago I’d generally shift 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 at a lazy 4,200 to 4,500 rpm or so, hauling in the clutch lever all the way to the grip each time. We’re probably all familiar with the cluch’s brief and narrow engagement zone, and that it’s nowhere near the handgrip. So I’ve been training myself to rev higher and clutch less (not clutchless, which is another thing). Rev to five grand, clutch handle in about an inch, quickly, and the smooth and quiet. No gnashing of gear teeth. It’s possible to do quick shifts with the clutch without actually going fast. But it works then, too. I have gear-shift pro and rarely use it going up, but almost always going down, though rarely to first. Still learning.

Same here on my 2018 RT. I find if I pull the clutch lever all the way it shifts rough, like the shift dogs are not meshing smoothly. If I pull the clutch about half way to the grip it shifts smoothly, so it appears a bit of clutch drag is a good thing.

I do have Shift Assit Pro and use it too, but generally only upshifting and when I am getting on it a bit. Leasuely shifts, I use the clutch. I use the clutch to downshift. Never have figured out how to downshift smoothly with shift assist.

In the short time I have had my first BMW bike (2016 R1200R), I have found that 1st-2nd shifts are smoothest using ShiftAssist at between 1500 and 2500 rpm with light throttle... Smoother than I can do with the clutch.

In the short time I have had my first BMW bike (2016 R1200R), I have found that 1st-2nd shifts are smoothest using ShiftAssist at between 1500 and 2500 rpm with light throttle... Smoother than I can do with the clutch.

1,500 rpm is barely above idle. Most people shift at 4,500 or 5,000 rpm - or even higher.

Ever turned on the shift-up indicator? You'd be amazed... Most of the time I'm just in town, not going fast. This thing pulls hard from idle, and there is no need to keep the revs up. It's just so smooth shifting at 2k.

Back