• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gas < Are they CRAZY

ÔÇ£Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, is backing legislation to toughen antitrust laws relating to oil company mergers, and says a tax on extraordinary ÔÇö windfall ÔÇö profits could help cut fuel prices.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., who appeared with Specter, said gasoline prices ÔÇÿwould come down within a matter of daysÔÇÖ if President Bush said he would support a windfall profit tax on oil companies.

"Scottish Law" Specter, Levin, and all the other "windfall profit tax" advocates never seem to explain how raising the taxes on something will make it cost less.

Oh . . . I know . . . if we pump more federal subsidies into ethanol production, it will magically become more efficient, have more energy density, and be cheaper per Btu than gasoline. Yeah . . . that's the ticket. ;)

"Scottish Law" Specter, Levin, and all the other "windfall profit tax" advocates never seem to explain how raising the taxes on something will make it cost less.

Oh . . . I know . . . if we pump more federal subsidies into ethanol production, it will magically become more efficient, have more energy density, and be cheaper per Btu than gasoline. Yeah . . . that's the ticket. ;)

Just to be clear, none of the serious proponents of ethanol that I've read have ever made such claims, in fact it is well recognized that is doesn't have same btu or punch as gasoline nor are they claiming that it will lower the cost of gas, rather itÔÇÖs a matter of finding ways to supplement gas supplies, is renewable and can be made in more cost effective ways than from corn. As such IÔÇÖm not sure what your point is in your above statement, but the bottom line is simply that, like it or not, we do need peruse finding alternative, renewable fuels, again not to replace (at least for forseeable future) but rather suppliment existing products.

I for one fail to see why this seems to some to be something that is a waste of time.

RM

Gas price reg on the 400 hiway 1.20 cn.. :banghead :banghead

what does it cost in your part of the world?

Well last summer, a fill-up of my R1150 GS Adventure (it took just over 27 liters) cost me just over $63 in Italy. You don't want to know what my gas bill was for a month of touring.

That works out to CA$2.33 per liter or CA$8.82 per US gallon , or CA$10.59 per Imperial gallon.

Still complaining? :stick

Now if you think profits are too high, maybe they are, but think again. You know those $150 Nikes that people buy...they cost about $2.50 to make and just the other morning, Nike was in the news; their workers make $59 per week.

Well last summer, a fill-up of my R1150 GS Adventure (it took just over 27 liters) cost me just over $63 in Italy. You don't want to know what my gas bill was for a month of touring.

That works out to CA$2.33 per liter or CA$8.82 per US gallon , or CA$10.59 per Imperial gallon.

Still complaining? :stick

Now if you think profits are too high, maybe they are, but think again. You know those $150 Nikes that people buy...they cost about $2.50 to make and just the other morning, Nike was in the news; their workers make $59 per week.

Yes!!

I want to go riding in Europe too!

but I can't see having to store a bike over there for 11 months of the year....

some day thou I am planning going back to that part of the world and ride...

OH, and I paid $19 for my sneeks, granted they are not Nikes.... but they seem to work just fine....:lol

RM

I for one fail to see why this seems to some to be something that is a waste of time.

Sorry . . . let me be a little clearer. The "waste of time" is increasing the taxes on the petroleum industry (which can only result in HIGHER fuel costs/prices) in order to fund development of "alternative" energy sources . . . none of which appear to be cost-effective against gasoline. If the government wants to fund the development of alternatives as a hedge against FUTURE gasoline price increases and supply shortages, then good luck . . . let's fund it out of the general tax revenue if it is such a good idea. But, just don't fund it out of the current gasoline suppliers and try to say this will reduce CURRENT or NEAR-TERM gasoline costs. As we say in Texas, "That dog don't hunt."

UK petrol pricing is higher,mainly due to taxation on top of the fuel price. That money goes towards paying for our health care.

To paraphrase Martha "High fuel prices are a good thing"

Why?

Because the only time North Americans think about the environment is when they're forced to by a sharp pain in their wallet.

Get over it, we've had a free ride for ages, time to start paying our way, conserving, changing our lifestyle, becoming a good global citizen etc.

As for gas at $1/litre, we pay $1.50 a litre for bottled water, something you can get for $0.001, and then have the environmental problem of the plastic container. Try making gasoline at home for $0.001 per litre.

Time to ride small motorcycles more, or even better, take public transit, walk, bicycle etc.

Regards, Rod.

To paraphrase Martha "High fuel prices are a good thing"

Why?

Because the only time North Americans think about the environment is when they're forced to by a sharp pain in their wallet.

Get over it, we've had a free ride for ages, time to start paying our way, conserving, changing our lifestyle, becoming a good global citizen etc.

As for gas at $1/litre, we pay $1.50 a litre for bottled water, something you can get for $0.001, and then have the environmental problem of the plastic container. Try making gasoline at home for $0.001 per litre.
Time to ride small motorcycles more, or even better, take public transit, walk, bicycle etc.

Regards, Rod.

I did, and it tasted terrible! :D

RM

Rod,

So what you are saying here is that the mileage contest, recognition and other incentives to ride more sponsored by the club makes the MOA an eco terrorist?

:bolt :hide

OH, and I paid $19 for my sneeks, granted they are not Nikes.... but they seem to work just fine.

Neither are mine.

No way I'm going to let some fat cat get fatter or some share holders get richer for doing absolutely nothing and certainly not on the backs of slave labor. Not on my buck!

BeemerMike said:
Oh . . . I know . . . if we pump more federal subsidies into ethanol production, it will magically become more efficient, have more energy density, and be cheaper per Btu than gasoline. Yeah . . . that's the ticket.
Just to be clear, none of the serious proponents of ethanol that I've read have ever made such claims, ... As such IÔÇÖm not sure what your point is in your above statement,
A little 'satire challenged', are we, Rocketman? :whistle

Rod,

So what you are saying here is that the mileage contest, recognition and other incentives to ride more sponsored by the club makes the MOA an eco terrorist?

:bolt :hide

Hadn't thought of that, but you're right!

Maybe we need a fuel efficiency contest instead.......Rod.

Maybe we need a fuel efficiency contest instead.......Rod.

You mean like the Corporate Average Fuel Economy - CAFE tests?

"As of early 2004, the average for cars must exceed 27.5 mpg, and the light truck average must exceed 20.7 mpg". Pretty sad numbers, don't you think?

Yeah, but if we had that contest instead of some silly mileage contest, that certificate would only be thrown into the same box in the basement as my flying certificates and the other useless ones they hand out at work. Got no use for them!

And don't you suggest walking and bicycling. What are you trying to do; put all them big business hospitals in the US out of business?

Dear beemermike-in KY it's "that dog won't hunt", anyway FYI I drive what other people wreck and sometimes they are not the color I would choose first nor the engine of my first choice, etc. My wife and I have an inside joke as to seeing stuff on the road that fits our criteria for something we would like to own-IF they would just wreck it so we could bid it!
I would like to see a choice for a truck such as the only ones you see in Ireland-they are diesel and purpose built for usefulness. In Italy last fall I saw exactly one full size American pickup and I think two mid size Tacoma type pickups, the rest being purposeful trucks. We had a VW diesel that ran great on red fuel and would cover right at 700 miles on a tank. The new technology diesels are coming and they present real savings.

A little 'satire challenged', are we, Rocketman? :whistle

Perhaps, but if you read his second response it would seem that his 'satire' is based on a belief that is in my view, unfounded and it was that to which I was responding. But perhaps I should know better than to respond to such comments at all.....please forgive me for taking an unpopular stance....

RM

Dear beemermike-in KY it's "that dog won't hunt

Po TAY to . . . Po TAH to . . . :D

I would like to see a choice for a truck such as the only ones you see in Ireland-they are diesel and purpose built for usefulness. In Italy last fall I saw exactly one full size American pickup and I think two mid size Tacoma type pickups, the rest being purposeful trucks. We had a VW diesel that ran great on red fuel and would cover right at 700 miles on a tank. The new technology diesels are coming and they present real savings.

So would I . . . and as soon as enough U.S. consumers demand those kinds of vehicles instead of Escalades and Hummers, we will get them! Of course, that is not likely to happen until gasoline and diesel fuel cost a LOT more than they do now, and that will probably more than offset the fuel consumption advantages of these more efficient vehicles. Kind of a "Catch 22".

a diesel Jeep wrangler would sell like hotcakes.

Jeep knows it, but there's something else keeping them from selling in North America. Some sort of agreement.

The Ford Ranger comes in a nice diesel, drove one in the islands... can't get it here. Why? they build it here, can't I order one?

I was talking to my heating contractor the other day. He would love to replace his fleet with full size 4x4 diesel vans. No one makes one.

poop.

a diesel Jeep wrangler would sell like hotcakes.

Jeep knows it, but there's something else keeping them from selling in North America. Some sort of agreement.

The Ford Ranger comes in a nice diesel, drove one in the islands... can't get it here. Why? they build it here, can't I order one?

Hmmm . . . Jeep built a CRD diesel Liberty for the U.S. market. Did NOT sell like "hotcakes". I looked at one when I bought my 2005 Liberty 4x4, but decided to go with the 3.7 gasoline engine. Given that diesel now costs much more than regular unleaded gasoline, probably even the right decision from a fuel cost standpoint.

BTW - I just LOVE conspiracy theories . . . don't you?!

Back