• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin XT2

bart802

Is anyone using a Garmin XT2, if so what do you think of it ?
I have a Garmin 660, looking to replace it with something easier and faster to use.
I use my phone an google maps most of the time, but would rather use the phone as a camera an phone..

I have been using an XT2 since they released the model. I am generally happy with it and have used it for a number of pre-planned road trips. The one annoyance is that the XT2 seems to corrupt the routes over time. Garmin appear to be working on the issue, as their synch process has changed a bit, but the problem continues. The problem is that with the XT2, all routes, tracks and waypoints are synched to the cloud so they are equally accessible/editable from the cell phone app and the XT2. The Xt2 stores copies of the routes locally in the event has not internet access. . I'm not sure what causes the corruption, but I suspect it might be if the synch is interrupted. I have to keep exported copies of all my routes and reimport them regularly to overcome the issue. Quite annoying. If it weren't for this, I would say it's their best nav unit to date.

The other thing to be aware of is the XT2 has no support for Basecamp. You can import Basecamp routes in a slightly convoluted way to the XT2, but the routes are converted and stored in the cloud and are recalculated which may result in different routing between points. If Basecamp is a requirement for you, then go with the XT rather than the XT2. Being able to plot/edit complex routes from a cell phone or the XT2 easily and without the steep Basecamp learning curve is a wonderful feature of the XT2. There are a few Basecamp features not supported which I'm ok leaving behind, as though I can use Basecamp just fine, I always found it way more of a struggle than i felt was necessary. I have not used Basecamp since migrating to the XT2.

I recently purchased an XT2, so I have only limited use so far. Much brighter/clearer screen. Noticeably faster processor. The touch screen sensitivity with gloves is quite good. The slight increase in display size is nice, but not a necessity.

I was coming from a Nav VI. I would have preferred a "Nav VII" so I could keep the MultiController wheel functionality, but there is no chance of that due to BMW and Garmin parting company. Given the choice between a Nav VI and an XT2, the better display and performance of the XT2 won out. BMW has since released its Connected Ride Navigator, but I'd still pick the XT2 to continue to use Garmin maps (it appears that BMW is now using relying on TomTom).

Back