• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

fuel tank leak '85 K100RT

E.L. Buff

Have a 85 k100rt and started to get a gas odor in my tank bag took it off and found
that around the gas cap is some type of welded grove and air bubbles and a little
gas leaking out . It is not the cap or gasket or even the screws leaking it is outside
of all that. Hope i don,t need a new tank . Has anyone ever saw this or any ideas?
Thanks Ernest

/moderator-nag-on...

Please consider putting the year/model of your bike in the thread title. It makes it much more likely that someone with something useful to impart might open the thread. I've added it to your thread title.

Thanks!

/moderator-nag-off

There is a rubber gasket under the fuel filler assembly - it's possible that is bad, or your pressure relief valve in the cap is doing it's thing. Not unusual to have a bit of gas odor on the tank bag since the pressure relief valve vents through the cap's keyhole. Often had it on my '85 K100RT. Didn't do any damage so I learned to ignore it.

Back