• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Frog Toggs

ramble

ohbeemer
I've carried some but never used, as I hole up for rain usually. Would they be adequate for a RT which protects pretty well in its own right.

I have used Frogg Togg rainsuits whilst riding in rain on a variety of bikes. I rode my K75S across Missouri one summer and it rained all the way from Kansas City to St. Louis. The rain suit partially worked. After one fuel stop I failed to zip up the pants pockets and I didn't tuck the hood under my helmet. It was raining very hard. Within a half-hour I could have jumped in a swimming pool and would not have been any more wet. The K75S does not have the same weather protection as a RT, but it is never-the-less a good idea to fully close all pockets and vents and wear the hood (or have a very tight fitting collar).

There used to be a feller at rallies selling Frogg Toggs; haven't seen him in a while. I got my most recent set at Iron Pony in Columbus, Ohio, but there are other on-line sources. The Road Toad jacket and pants work well for motorcycles. There are other choices that may also work.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/road-toad-reflective-jacket

https://www.froggtoggs.com/road-toad-reflective-rider-s-pant

https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-...gs+rain+suit&qid=1683227899&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

https://www.walmart.com/browse/shop-by-brand/frogg-toggs/3734780_5678070_8075717

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f/frogg-toggs

I bought a set of Frog Toggs when I got my 2008RT. I used them occasionally on cross-country trips. Once I learned about Aerostich (after the first 5,000 miles) I put the Frog Toggs away, and never looked back.

The Frog Toggs were OK, but having to pull over in a covered place and pull them on was not fun. The AeroStich jacket and pants kept me dry all the time.

When I lost the left saddlebag on my R1150RT (which contained my beloved MotoLine Gore-Tex rainsuit), I bought a Frogg Toggs jacket and pants.

That fall, I rode up to northern MI where it rained the whole weekend and I was absolutely soaked.

Unless they've been re-designed and improved, I wouldn't waste my money.....

I have Frog Toggs packed on the ATV and find FT works well- at ATV speeds. I don't think FT is/was expected to work at highway speeds or better than a purpose designed and manufactured rain suit. My Barbour and Vanson "waxed cotton" clothing falls into the same category as the FT except the waxed cotton clothing is designed as a jacket/pants with a lining to provide some warmth.
I have one of those one-piece BMW rain suit deals that was designed to work at speed with it's covered zipper(s) and all. It works pretty good.
My approach to riding in the rain is never do it on purpose. YMMV
OM

When I lost the left saddlebag on my R1150RT (which contained my beloved MotoLine Gore-Tex rainsuit), I bought a Frogg Toggs jacket and pants.

That fall, I rode up to northern MI where it rained the whole weekend and I was absolutely soaked.

Unless they've been re-designed and improved, I wouldn't waste my money.....

This was my experience. Maybe good for emergency use, but I commuted rain or shine for over 10 years and my one experiment with Frog Toggs ended up with a soaked crotch and legs. Had one pair of Klim pants leak at the crotch, but that was one pair out of three over the years and they made it right and sent me a new pair no questions asked. My summer suit wasn't waterproof so I took to carrying lightweight rain gear from REI in my bag sized one size up to throw on over the top in an emergency (Marmot precip).

I have Frog Toggs packed on the ATV and find FT works well- at ATV speeds. I don't think FT is/was expected to work at highway speeds or better than a purpose designed and manufactured rain suit. My Barbour and Vanson "waxed cotton" clothing falls into the same category as the FT except the waxed cotton clothing is designed as a jacket/pants with a lining to provide some warmth.
I have one of those one-piece BMW rain suit deals that was designed to work at speed with it's covered zipper(s) and all. It works pretty good.
My approach to riding in the rain is never do it on purpose. YMMV
OM

Yeah - they have two different thickness of Frogg Toggs - the normal ~$25 pair will not last very long on a bike at highway speeds. The RoadToad versions are much thicker and better designed for motorcycle use.

Yeah - they have two different thickness of Frogg Toggs - the normal ~$25 pair will not last very long on a bike at highway speeds. The RoadToad versions are much thicker and better designed for motorcycle use.

I concur. We had a friend who traveled with us in Africa who loved his Frog Toggs and they stood up well. I usually wear my Aerostich Roadcrafter pants but do have some mesh pants which I sometimes travel with. So I bought a set of Frog Toggs at Walmart just to have the pants to use with the mesh pants if needed. The first time I put the pants on I pushed by boot right through the fabric(?) at the knee. So I threw the suit out.

I think the company did itself no favors coming out with the el-cheapo version of what had been a reputable set of gear.

I have some 12 year old Frog Toggs and they have always worked well for me. They are a bit of a pain to put on but they kept me able to ride in storms in California, Montana, Missouri, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Rhode Island, Ontario, etc. I purchased them when I had a R1150GS and now have a R1250RS. I was actually quite surprised that they worked this last fall since they have been stored in a hot garage for over 10 years. For their cheap price, there really is nothing better.

Even a plastic garbage bag will work...for a while. Ditto everyday Chinesium raingear- including FrogTogs-. I've found that gear like Aerostich and Mosko Moto made for riding, made to last, made to not flap around works best for serious weather riding. The best emergency rain gear for not so serious riders is probably ALSO the good stuff- check the classifieds because the good stuff lasts till the rider dies and his wife sells or till WE lose or gain weight and gets sold. In my experience, domestic manufacture isn't NECESSARILY better, but quality control seems to be- I also generally feel good about supporting a rider oriented company and generally speaking they are more responsive to queries and "issues".

I tried the frog toggs years ago, they didn't last very long in wind driven rain on the highway. Now I see they make two types, I likely got the cheaper pair.

I settled on Olympias rain jacket and pants, they've kept me dry. Pants are easy to slip into, snaps tighten the lower legs once donned along with snaps for the sleeves at the wrist.

I can't find them anywhere today to provide a link, so they may be discontinued. But they are solid rain gear, the jacket having a hood that can be taken out of the collar and worn under helmet so water doesn't get down my neck.

One thing that I learned which helps a good bit in putting on most any rain pants (including Frogg Toggs) is to use plastic bags, such as one would get from a grocery store, over one's boots prior to putting on rain pants. The plastic bags really help the boots slide through the rain pants legs.

My wife and I have used FT’s and have been very happy with them. I rode from Bressanone to Munich over the Brenner Pass in pouring rain and my torso and legs stayed dry. Only part that got cold and wet was my hands (didn’t have gore-Tex gloves at the time). FT are light, compact, and easy to pack for a long trip.

Back