• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"FRAM" OIL FILTERS

allanruprecht

Has enyone had any "good" or "bad" experiences with the FRAM motorcycle oil filters? They are considerably less expensive.

I've been using them in my airheads with good results, no problems - though I've heard of others who avoid them due to some tales of problems. Based on my firsthand experience to date, I see no reason to avoid using them.

allanruprecht said:
Has enyone had any "good" or "bad" experiences with the FRAM motorcycle oil filters? They are considerably less expensive.

Some will tell you that they are junk and your engine is toast if you use them. Others will say they work great.

WW must sell millions per year. Don't seem to see tens of thousands of cars on the side of the road because of Fram filters.

YMMV

K&N

I've seen K&N makes an oil filter for air heads too...anyone used them?? Good, bad, indifferent??

Google "Oil Filters" and you'll get 3 less hits than googling "Oil." Sift through and you'll find some very in depth research about filters. I've never seen one that didn't rate Fram's a the bottom of the list, of close to it. If that works for you, have at it. And don't take my word for it, google for yourself.

IMHO, there are a multitude of good filters out there that are only marginally more expensive than Frams, why pinch pennies?

dlearl476 said:
IMHO, there are a multitude of good filters out there that are only marginally more expensive than Frams, why pinch pennies?
Haven't you heard..they say, the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle is the rider...

Kurt in S.A.

On our own forum

Sometimes you get lucky enough to combine good quality and a better product.

In case you missed it check out this thread by dlearl476, post #2.

My experience with Fram Oil Filters is not a good one!
I was drawn to them by the lower cost, they looked OK.
After my usual 2000 mile oil change interval on my 1977 R100RS I took out the filter and the rubber seal on the end of the filter stayed in the back of the oil cavity. It took me three hours to get that rubber seal off the long oil filter shaft. I had to sacrifice one of my wife"s fondue forks!
I took the filter to the place where I bought it and rhe gladly replaced it with appologies. They actually gave me 6 new filters.
I though it was a fluke so I tried again! 2000 miles and the rubber seal stays in the engine again!! Three hours to get that rubber seal off, now I'm pissed!!
Back to the Automotive Store and they put me in touch with the Fram Rep and he sent me a cheque for an estimation of my labour costs for the six hours I spent working on the bike.
Yes, I was pleased the way they handeled it, but I would not use them in my bike again!!
Darryl

On the 'older' K-bikes the filter is inside the oil pan and any filter with paint or other coating needs to be avoided like the plague. On oilheads where the filter is mounted outside there should be no problem. Having said that I avoid them, as their cardboard interiors are less than inspiring. Why spend $ 15K on a bike just to save a few $$ on filters? I know that the BMW/Mahle filters are pricey but they filter the finer particles as well. K&N and the Mobil1 filters are good too, but as long as my bike is under warranty I'll by the BMW filters. Just my 0.02 cts. YMMV

riderR1150GSAdv said:
On the 'older' K-bikes the filter is inside the oil pan and any filter with paint or other coating needs to be avoided like the plague. On oilheads where the filter is mounted outside there should be no problem. Having said that I avoid them, as their cardboard interiors are less than inspiring. Why spend $ 15K on a bike just to save a few $$ on filters? I know that the BMW/Mahle filters are pricey but they filter the finer particles as well. K&N and the Mobil1 filters are good too, but as long as my bike is under warranty I'll by the BMW filters. Just my 0.02 cts. YMMV

The BMW filters for the K bikes are painted. I know of no oil filters that are unpainted.

I went through a box of Fram Airhead filters years ago on my R90/S with no problems. No idea what they sell for these days but with the miles I now put on my Airheads I have no problem buying the German filters.

riderR1150GSAdv said:

I've used Frams on K bikes for years. However, you need to avoid the one with the black gripping area on the end. It will come off and get in the pan. Other than that, there is not a problem.

Assuming we're still talking about airheads, the BMW kit contains the gaskets and o-rings you need.

riderR1150GSAdv said:
K&N and the Mobil1 filters are good too. I'm glad to hear that K&N filters rated well. They have a 17mm nut (also predrilled for safety wire) "welded" to the end, making removal much easier, and less messy, than any other filter, and doesn't require that you go out and buy a new filter wrench for each vehicle. I highly recommend the K&N, mail order about $11 (chaparral).

PAULBACH said:
Sometimes you get lucky enough to combine good quality and a better product.

In case you missed it check out this thread by dlearl476, post #2.

Thanks for finding that, Paul. I was too busy to look at the time. I also can't seem to find a link to the RoadRacing News that announced WERA was not allowing bikes with FRAM filters to compete after several riders were injured when the plate separated from the can and the resulting oil slick caused accidents. This was several years ago, and according to FRAM the problem was a single batch of filters, but still.

I have had nothing but bad luck with Fram and therefore may be biased. IMHO they suck. If you had good luck with them fine but cardboard doesn't belong in a filter and that is what keeps the pleats in place. Like I said before penny wise pound foolish when trying to 'save' a few bucks on a 15K bike.. Drink one beer :drink less or quit smoking, that will save a lot more then $$ too.:stick :)

Back