• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R850R stuck oil filter

A good fitting filter wrench/cup is important. Did you warm up the bike? If all else fails, drill 3 holes in the bottom of the filter wrench, then drive 3 screws through the wrench into the filter. That will hold the filter to the wrench.
Yes, but put a drain pan under the filter and punch one hole first, so the oil in the filter drains out before you insert the first screw into the filter. DAHIK :)

Would placing a rag to line the filter tool to take up any slack and then using a breaker bar for more leverage work!?🤷‍♂️

Never had a problem with removing oil filters but after reading that a number of folks have had issues, in the future when I am going do an oil change, my first step will be to gently check that filter can be loosen before dropping the oil.

No idea if this is the issue, but aside from over torquing the filter, if you #1 install without the gasket, #2 install by mistake 2 gaskets or #3 don't oil the new gasket before installing it can glue itself to the bike. Screw technique is the best.

OP, let us know what you’ve tried so far. I like a well fitted cap wrench mated to a long breaker bar. Leverage is your friend…good luck.

I had this happen on my GSA a couple years ago. 2 hours later, I had welded pins to a large socket that aligned with the holes in the top flange of the oil filter, as the remainder of the oil filter was in pieces in the drain pan. Even the screw trick failed, the can just shredded. Never stuck before, never stuck again. :dunno

If it still stuck try this. Use brake clean and multiple blue shop towels and clean the outside of the filter and the inside of the filter wrench. If your filter wrench is a nice snug fit line the inside surface (the one that contacts the filter) with some valve grinding compound and set it on the filter with room to add some type of extension to the handle. If the filter wrench fits loosely either get the correct one or line the contact surface with 3 m wet & dry 320 black sand paper and give it whirl.

Back