• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Forum Transition to Xenforo!

Agreed, I too like seeing people's locations. Pretty sure the Airheads forum is on Xenforo too. Coming from ADVrider I also find it interesting to be able to see when people joined and how many posts they've made. It gives you an idea of how much that person contributes to the forum. I'm just hitting 21K posts over there.

Now I see on my computer hovering over an avatar gives all of that info. I laugh I've only been here since 2016.

Yes, expand the number for photos, I'd put it at least to 100.
It's been great to see. When a few us put this place up in 200, we opened the forum on the same day we rolled into Iraq. I was in LA on business and between calls, I was trying to find a connection to see if anyone was on. Wifi wasn't exactly widespread then, so I had to wait until I got back to my hotel.

I think we had a couple hundred folks register that day, but it took a long while before there was any significant traffic here. At the time, we still had a big dose of "what about people without a [computer/email]" thinking in the club and we seemed set on not doing things if it required any kind of digital interface.

But here we are, going on 21 years later and this place seems to have grown its own community. It makes me proud. Thanks for the volunteers that have kept the lights on and the folks that come to visit with each other for making it what it is - a reliable resource for technical information and insights into the club.

"I too like seeing people's locations"
"Are we going to be able to see member's locations under their screen name as we have in the past? I miss that."

@Omega Man on our Forum (same Xenforo, just different version) if you want member's location to show up under their avatar (without having to click it or hover over it), Go to ACP (assuming you have Admin privileges) and search for "message user info block". It's under "Style Properties". You can check or uncheck whatever boxes you want to show up under avatars, then save it at the bottom. I have ours set up to show location (assuming the member actually has a location in their user profile), and number of messages/posts. By the way, Kevin was instrumental in doing our platform conversion and is generally great guy!
Screenshot 2024-02-01 195604.png

Last edited:
Other little tips.....
If you click on a member's avatar, and then click on the number under "messages", it will bring up all of those member's posts. Could be useful if you need to find something and you remember who posted it but not exactly sure where or when.

Also, if you click on the member's location in their avatar, it will bring you to a Google map of their location. Can't see any real practical use for this, but its there nonetheless....

"I too like seeing people's locations"
"Are we going to be able to see member's locations under their screen name as we have in the past? I miss that."

@Omega Man on our Forum (same Xenforo, just different version) if you want member's location to show up under their avatar (without having to click it or hover over it), Go to ACP (assuming you have Admin privileges) and search for "message user info block". It's under "Style Properties". You can check or uncheck whatever boxes you want to show up under avatars, then save it at the bottom. I have ours set up to show location (assuming the member actually has a location in their user profile), and number of messages/posts. By the way, Kevin was instrumental in doing our platform conversion and is generally great guy!
View attachment 96586
Other little tips.....
If you click on a member's avatar, and then click on the number under "messages", it will bring up all of those member's posts. Could be useful if you need to find something and you remember who posted it but not exactly sure where or when.

Also, if you click on the member's location in their avatar, it will bring you to a Google map of their location. Can't see any real practical use for this, but its there nonetheless....
Thanks for your interest and thoughts RM. A bit later I will send you a “PM”.
Gary

I was on the Airhead forum a few minutes ago and hovering over an avatar does nothing. When you click on a member and look at their profile all it shows is their posts. A little irritating when you're trying to find out where a person is located.

I was on the Airhead forum a few minutes ago and hovering over an avatar does nothing. When you click on a member and look at their profile all it shows is their posts. A little irritating when you're trying to find out where a person is located.
Seems to be working just fine. What kind of computer are you using? Once you click on a users avatar, many options are available. Who are you trying to find?
OM

Tells me you're from New Melbourne, NL. Dec 2016 join date.

Seems to be working just fine. What kind of computer are you using? Once you click on a users avatar, many options are available. Who are you trying to find?
OM
I was talking about the Airheads.org forum not his one.
Just to clarify where the actual problem was.
OM

Is there any way to turn off the “Are you sure you want to mark all forums read” prompt after choosing to do just that?

Mostly I was posting out differences with the Airheads forum setup and here. I think it is Xenforo over there but obviously the setup is somewhat different. I like the option of hovering over the avatar here.

Now, if members would fill out their profiles with that information it would be nice for all of us.

I just copied a report from another forum and pasted to the bicycle thread in this forum.
All I had to do was highlight all the text and pictures, select Copy, then Paste in this forum.

I have noticed quite a few typos on the forum lately. This leads me to believe that there are others “suffering“ from what I have found to be an integration problem between the “auto word suggest” and Xenforo.
If I type a word and notice the typo, backspacing to the error and correcting the word will frequently “invent“ a new word. Sometimes a capital is inserted in the typo correction.
the other thing I have noticed is that a “return“ to a new line wants to drop capitalization.
the easiest way to “clear” the word invention problem is back through the word that was invenTed hit the period, back through the period and continue along.
i have left some of the typos experienced as an example.
all this on Apple iPad.
OM

I have noticed the auto-mangle issue to a small degree and I’m also on an iPad, so don’t know it it is an iOS issue or XenForo issue. On the dropped caps, I see that here and also on another XenForo site I visit.

best,
DeVern

Back