• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

flashing abs lights

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hello again, I have the abs lights flashing on the dash, of my 2000 r1100rt which may be the fault of the old 6 year battery that I will replace next spring ,it dies over a few days, the question is will the bike pass the safety inspection ?with these flashing ,or is there a trick to switch the lights off or disconnect the abs system altogether ,I dont really care if it works or not, as I never had abs on a bike in over 50 years riding, I have it in the car and only has kicked in during the winter, and even then only to test if it was still working I will be glad when I have no more questions ,and she is running as well as my old airhead !!, thanks in advance,Jimmy :scratch

Don't know what the safety inspection requirements are where you live. Buy a new battery.

You might have no idea how often your ABS brakes have been activated, so don't be so quick to dismiss them.

Check with you local inspecting authority. I believe that ON is similar to MB and flashing ABS lights, motorcycle, car, truck, is not a failure for the MVI.

If your battery can start the bike, and you have those irritating flashing ABS lights, go for a 10 minute ride so that the battery gets a charge. Now get to a safe place like a parking spot in a parking lot or on the side of the road and turn off the bike using the key switch. Then, turn it back on and start the bike again. If your battery is holding a charge then the lights shouldn't be flashing at this point. If they are, then a new battery should cure it.

You may want to read up on ABS2 Faults and Resetting from Anton's website, http://largiader.com/abs/absfault.html,for more info. The reset works. :thumb

If your battery can start the bike, and you have those irritating flashing ABS lights, go for a 10 minute ride so that the battery gets a charge. Now get to a safe place like a parking spot in a parking lot or on the side of the road and turn off the bike using the key switch. Then, turn it back on and start the bike again. If your battery is holding a charge then the lights shouldn't be flashing at this point. If they are, then a new battery should cure it.

You may want to read up on ABS2 Faults and Resetting from Anton's website, http://largiader.com/abs/absfault.html,for more info. The reset works. :thumb

I would add - this is true if it is a low voltage fault. If it is a different fault this won't help.

many thanks

Many thanks to all, for taking the time to try and help, rode the bike today again ,boy a lot of noise from the gearbox!!, if I didnt fill it myself I would swear there was no oil in it , any hoo good weather ending to night so will be useing my trusty airhead the rest of the fall, and will remove the gearbox and have a look inside will let you all know what I find, so new battery also next spring and address the abs and safety and inspection then ,once again thank you very much ,Jimmy :thumb

Back