• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 R1150GS ABS whining

simonak3000

Hi
I am now the proud new owner of a 2003 BMW R1150GS with 48740miles. It is very clean and I paid a very good price (3000$CAN) for it. Of course there are a couple of issues that I wil need to adress. I have some backlash and some bearing play, so a final drive rebuild is scheduled for this winter. As to my actual problem, it has to do with the ABS system. First, when I start the bike, the "brake failure" light flashes, but as soon as I get underway it disappear. Secondly, My brakes make a whining sound when I use them. I think its the ABS pump but im not sure. Brakes works when im riding, but the sound is always there. Here is a link to a video that I took this morning after starting the bike showing the sound it makes.

https://youtu.be/TUDLwL7e0Cs

Hope you can help me diagnose my problem and looking forward to riding my new BMW!

L.Leblanc
2003 BMW R1150GS

Welcome to the Forum! There is so much knowledge here for you to access.

The motorcycle is behaving normally. Your bike has servo brakes - commonly referred to as "whizzy brakes". The whine you hear is the servo activating.

If you have rubber brake lines, change them immediately. They deteriorate internally and can clog the passages in the brake system or, worst case, fail. If you do the change yourself be aware that the bleeding process is much different than "standard" brake systems.

Welcome to the Forum! There is so much knowledge here for you to access.

The motorcycle is behaving normally. Your bike has servo brakes - commonly referred to as "whizzy brakes". The whine you hear is the servo activating.

If you have rubber brake lines, change them immediately. They deteriorate internally and can clog the passages in the brake system or, worst case, fail. If you do the change yourself be aware that the bleeding process is much different than "standard" brake systems.

Wow thanks a lot! One less thing to worry about! im gonna have a lot of questions in the near future, I need to learn about this bike. BMW's are a whole new world compared to my old Suzuki GS

I have replaced brake lines on a number of bikes using Spiegler brake lines. His shop is near Dayton, Ohio.
Once I rode to his shop with a removed brake line and a new line was fabricated while I waited. Great service!

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes.html

Oh yeah, with the "whizzy brakes" there is a special technique needed to flush / bleed / replace the brake fluid.
Here is a link with some info on bleeding brakes, but I do not know if "whizzy brakes" are specifically covered -

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/2004/11/23/brake-bleeding/

Yes the whine is normal for this generation of ABS, and BC is absolutely right, get those lines upgraded ASAP.

Just for information's sake, here's what the flashing light(s) mean:
Gen OFF, ABS ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 4Hz = Only residual braking function available in both circuits.
Gen ON, ABS off = rear light/brake light defective.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = At least one brake circuit without ABS.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4Hz = At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode.
Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Integral ABS too low, or Low voltage.

Keep it simple and consistent

Get the disc or video on the proper way to service (flush & bleed) your brakes and do it or have it done at the very least once every two (2) years. The bigest flaw in the servo (Whizzy) brakes is the owner not doing the regular maintenance regularly.

Damn thats quite complex for brakes, Ill make sure to read all of that. For now the brakes are working well
Recommended fluid change interval is 2 years.
Be preventative and do the flushes. Servo brake Modules are prone to failure and are not repairable presently.
Replacement units are over $3000cad.
As mentioned above, if still have the OE rubber brake lines replace them asap. They can balloon and you will instantly loose braking on that wheel.
The interior deterioration is a factor as well, damaging the ABS module and clogging banjo fittings upon fluid return.

Where are you located?

Recommended fluid change interval is 2 years.
Be preventative and do the flushes. Servo brake Modules are prone to failure and are not repairable presently.
Replacement units are over $3000cad.
As mentioned above, if still have the OE rubber brake lines replace them asap. They can balloon and you will instantly loose braking on that wheel.
The interior deterioration is a factor as well, damaging the ABS module and clogging banjo fittings upon fluid return.

Where are you located?

Amos, Abitibi, Quebec.
Ill look on Motobins for replacement brake lines

Amos, Abitibi, Quebec.
Ill look on Motobins for replacement brake lines

I the bike has bar risers you need to allow for that- longer line on front master.
Spiegler is good for any special lines and the are 100% indexable.
They are my go to. Fit first time every time.
I've installed lots

I the bike has bar risers you need to allow for that- longer line on front master.
Spiegler is good for any special lines and the are 100% indexable.
They are my go to. Fit first time every time.
I've installed lots

Ill make sure to consider them. They are expensive tho. Im thinking of doing this job in the winter, so I will check out my options.
And pretty sure no bar risers but ill check.

Also, I saw on an old forum post from 2014 that you interacted with that its possible to make our own ABS funnel. I know Beemer Boneyard has one for sale but the shipping costs are insane. Did someone ever manage to machine an threaded adapter? I work at an machine shop so should be easy to machine in aluminium

Do you, by any chances, know the size of the dummy wooden brakes shoes? Ill need to cut myself some.

Some wood shims for window/doors from hardware/ lumber store more than adequate one pushed in from both sides accomplishes task

Ill make sure to consider them. They are expensive tho. Im thinking of doing this job in the winter, so I will check out my options.
And pretty sure no bar risers but ill check.

Also, I saw on an old forum post from 2014 that you interacted with that its possible to make our own ABS funnel. I know Beemer Boneyard has one for sale but the shipping costs are insane. Did someone ever manage to machine an threaded adapter? I work at an machine shop so should be easy to machine in aluminium

Another reason I use Spiegler because they are DOT approved.
Winter may be too late if you are going to ride. The lines can fail on emergency braking.

Yes I did machine my own funnel. The thread was copied from the actual ABS cap. I never recorded the dimensions.
The shutoff really helps in preventing spillage when moving from port to port.

Attachments

• Flush tool.jpg
    Flush tool.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 21
Back