• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First time spline lube - '85 k100

C

Carguz

I'm psyching up for my first spline lube. I've had the bike a year. It shifts easily but I don't want trouble so I will check to see the condition. The PO took it to the dealer so I don't think it's too bad.

I was interested in a bare bones step-by-step dismantling process for the spline lube with any helpful tips/shortcuts, etc.

Is there a post or can someone run it by me. Any good video posts? I have a feeling it's about how much you take off and in what order, than can make the job more bearable or more difficult.

Thanks.

In simple terms - get the stuff that is in the way of removing the transmission off.

Remove the transmission.

Clean the splines, being careful not to contaminate the clutch disk.

Apply new lubricant to the shaft splines only - not to the clutch hub.

Put it back together.

Highlights:

I remove the final drive from the swingarm but leave the swingarm attached unless I want to check/replace swing arm bearings.

The battery and battery box need to come out.

The starter needs to come out.

I remove the alternator - it makes things easier if it isn't there.

Muffler off - you can leave the pipes.

Don't forget to unplug the neutral/gear switch wiring - right side by radiator overflow bottle. It goes under the battery tray.

There will be a couple of wires clipped to the transmission case on the left side - remove the clip and move the wiring out of the way.

A few more details that you will notice when you get there but these are the main things.

The sequence in the older Haynes manual for that bike is very good.

I am going to do my 91 K75RT next week. I am planning on using a sawhorse to support the frame and guide bolts in the bottom two mounting holes.

Mine is shifting good, but reading Paul's posts on the importance of periodic lubing has convinced me to go ahead.

just a thought but I think that it would be interesting if a few folks looking to do this job themselves proceeded at the same time, under some guru guidence (thinly veiled hint:bow), and could pose questions and proceed to a successful conclusion. My k1100 will be subjected to this in the early Spring.... just after Paul's article on the procedure. That may be too late for some but it would be our version of Distance Education. - Bob

just a thought but I think that it would be interesting if a few folks looking to do this job themselves proceeded at the same time, under some guru guidence (thinly veiled hint:bow), and could pose questions and proceed to a successful conclusion. My k1100 will be subjected to this in the early Spring.... just after Paul's article on the procedure. That may be too late for some but it would be our version of Distance Education. - Bob

If somebody starts such a thread - hopefully with a photo or two - I'll monitor it to see if/what problems arise.

If somebody starts such a thread - hopefully with a photo or two - I'll monitor it to see if/what problems arise.

Not ready yet buy I will check back at that time and, if not already started, kick start the thing. Appreciate the support. Bob

A shout for help on this forum usually gets good results. As long as I'm home or otherwise have internet access I monitor things fairly closely tech-wise, as do a lot of others.

I get stumped from time to time, just like others, especially when it is a wierd noise, or electrical, because sounds are hard to diagnose on the internet and circuits are a bit difficult if you can't grab a meter and do some tests.

But ... all in all the tech support around here is really amazing.

Spline lube

Another thing you might consider is checking for people that live in your area and see if they are willing to help. AKA Have a mini tech session with people knowing you are doing this work on your bike.

You might be pleasantly surprised at the offers to help.

Good Luck

Roy

Another thing you might consider is checking for people that live in your area and see if they are willing to help. AKA Have a mini tech session with people knowing you are doing this work on your bike.

You might be pleasantly surprised at the offers to help.

Good Luck

Roy

Good idea. I have never seen an old K in my area, but if anyone wants to come by Belton Tx I will be starting work soon. The final drive and driveshaft are at Bruno's.

He called last night and said one of the bearings was going bad, so that adds $150 to my bill.

Good idea. I have never seen an old K in my area, but if anyone wants to come by Belton Tx I will be starting work soon. The final drive and driveshaft are at Bruno's.

He called last night and said one of the bearings was going bad, so that adds $150 to my bill.

Ron,
does it have to be an older "K" bike? I believe the technology used for the clutch basket assembly is pretty similar from 85 - 9* K1100's. I am not sure when BMW started using hydraulic clutches Vs cable. Clutch basket is still similar even with hydraulic. I do know that the K1200 models are much more labor intensive to remove the tranny than the K75 or K100 models.

All else fails.. put Paul Glaves on speed dial :D:D

Roy

PM sent.

Ralph Sims

http://www.bmwmcnj.com/Technical/bmd%20k100%20how%20to%20tips%20for%20free..pdf
PLEASE do not use this URL. Go to the original source - which is the IBMWR K-tech website. Aside from this being badly out of date and containing some wrong info - it's also copyright infringement.. and several of the copyrights are mine.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml <--- that's where you SHOULD be going.

The posting with this URL in it is being removed.

Whether or not I used the specific articles copyrighted by Don, or articles by someone else, I DID use the IBMWR K-bike website when I did the spline lubes on 2 of my K75's. They are worth the price of admission! The one recommendation I would make is to use a bit stickier grease than the Honda Moly 60 Paste. From talking to both Paul Glaves and Matt Parkhouse, a 50/50 mix of Honda Moly 60 Paste and Wurth 3000 grease seems to work better than plain Honda Moly 60 Paste.

Local k's welcome- boca raton, fl

I know there was a guy a little north of me in Boynton who has a K75. Not sure if he was doing his own spline lubes.

Anyone close, please chime in.

Thanks.

Back