• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First Oil Change Question . . . .

CTellman

First change on my new to me R100RT w/oil cooler. I removed 3 allen bolts in oil filter housing. The aluminum washer was between big "O" ring and filter, right? Then there is a smaller "O" ring in the oil filter cover.
When I replace the cover assembled as described, the cover doesn't seat easily. There is pressure required to make the cover seat. It feels like too much pressure. I used a two piece filter as supplied by Capital Cycles in DC.
Is the aluminum shim washer optional?
Thanks,
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT:scratch

Do an advanced search here on the $2000 O-ring. There was a pretty good article in ON tjhis year on what to measure in there

Oil Filter Change

The shim is usually not needed in '85 on twins. This shim was originally installed in 1978 when BMW discovered that the filter can was cutting the o-ring. In 1985, the filter housing received a wide flange to stop this. The shim should only be used in '85 on bikes when the filter housing is installed too deep-something fairly rare.

The filter cover does offer a bit of resistance; you are compressing two o-rings (and if your kit came with the rectangular section black o-ring, very stiff) and pressing the the filter halves together. Make sure that the o-rings are in their grooves, using a bit of grease if neccesary and that the cover is slipping on to the center stub correctly.

Inspect the white O'Ring that was removed. It should be squared slightly. If the O'Ring is deformed, then there's probably too much pressure with the metal shim. If the O'Ring is not squared, then there's probably not enough pressure on the O'Ring. The articles regarding the $2,000 O'Ring as indicated above provides for a more precise analysis.

FWIW, I have an 88 RT, and I use one shim.

The aluminum washer was between big "O" ring and filter, right?

On my 1990 R100 GS, the shim goes onto the filter cover. On my 1980 R65 it went into the filter cavity against the filter tube which at that time wasn't "rolled".

BTW, the shim is steel.

When I replace the cover assembled as described, the cover doesn't seat easily. There is pressure required to make the cover seat. It feels like too much pressure.

Always apply a thin coat of oil to the white O-ring. That should prevent any binding if that is the reason for the pressure needed to screw the cover down.

Tellman, is there a an old black rubber seal at the base of the pipe the filter goes on - deep inside?

If so, it is from before the filters had seals as part of the filter and should come out.

Back