• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fairing repair?

eastbay

Bike fell over and hit the lawnmower, don’t ask. The waves we had from the storm washed away most of the pieces. Any ideas on a repair.F17975C0-96EA-4595-9C57-DC1059DE5493.jpg

With that much missing material I’d suggest checking with the used part vendors like beemerboneyard.com, for a used body panel that could be repainted and mounted.

Best,
DeVern

With that much missing material I’d suggest checking with the used part vendors like beemerboneyard.com, for a used body panel that could be repainted and mounted.

Best,
DeVern

Yes. I think I found one in the right color on eBay for about $100

Yes. I think I found one in the right color on eBay for about $100

If you want to try to repair it, look for JB Plastic Weld in the auto body repair area of an auto parts store. With some kind of backing material, you could make a decent repair. You will still have to paint. Repair like that would have to be done with the nose piece removed from the bike, and the headlight assembly also removed from the front fairing.

Here's the front fairing of my 1100RT before and after the repair. Deer collision.

RT_Headlight_Repair.jpg

m_stock is right. If your money is more scarce than your time, plastic fairings can be repaired to halfway decent. His repairs look pretty good and as long as you have the missing piece you could achieve something similar.

m_stock is right. If your money is more scarce than your time, plastic fairings can be repaired to halfway decent. His repairs look pretty good and as long as you have the missing piece you could achieve something similar.

Actually, that's not necessary. If you look at the before photo, the lower part of the fairing below the headlight was gone, including the little partition in center ( the BMW kidneys). I crafted the new shape with cardboard to support the epoxy, and then built up the replacement section. The center piece was made with some peforated aluminum body filler and then epoxy over that. My painting skills were pretty poor. The bike looks okay from 20-25 feet, but it isn't the beauty it once was. At this point, as long as it is still mechanically good, I'm okay with it.

Back