• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800 front brake rotor

davethegnomb

I new here don't know if I'm doing this right so my apologies.
I have a F800GSA I noticed today the front rotors are loose where the rotor connects to inner hub.( What the exciter ring attaches to)
On the center stand with front wheel up if you take tire in hand and hold front brake you can feel the rotor move on those lack of better words pins.
Both sides are doing this. The bike has 18,300 miles on it and the pads are just about read to be replaced.
Is this normal? To me no. Thanks for any help you could give. Dave

Yeah, your doing it right.....
Welcome to the forum!
I"m not sure on that model, chances are someone is and will be along shortly that can help you out.
Gary

Welcome Dave:wave

semi- floating rotors I believe on that model. Little play to make up for " minor" rotor warp.
Needing front pads so soon does sound early to me, and you said both sides...you have dual discs? Thought single still:scratch

answered my own question, fiche pic showed one, qty says two

Welcome Dave:wave

semi- floating rotors I believe on that model. Little play to make up for " minor" rotor warp.
Needing front pads so soon does sound early to me, and you said both sides...you have dual discs? Thought single still:scratch

answered my own question, fiche pic showed one, qty says two

Its not warped that concerns me its that there is play forward and back. I'm ruff on the brk pads I live in CT traffic, and rider error is what I blame it on.
Yes I have two disks up front. Thanks for response.

So I e-mailed the BMW dealer to ask them if rotor movement is normal. The answer is yes. They are indeed floating rotors so they are supposed to do this.
I figured id let everyone know the final outcome.
Thanks again for the help and links.

Back