• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

f7GS w GIVI buffetting???

the Wizard of Oz
I've only put about 300 miles on my new f7GS and the buffeting is killing me. It's got a GIVI screen which works pretty well... up to about 70 mph....if there's no cross-wind. ...or wash from the rest of the traffic ahead. What works better??? Maybe I should call Perethian and Paige Ortiz.

I don't understand how one gets from Chicago to the mountains, across the hell of KS and NE, or thru the high winds up on the plains unless you stay off the slab entirely. Which is often a better answer. The first trip I ever took on my little Honda 500, we stayed on the two-lanes bc Dennis Rouse said so. "Rider" was the only mag I was aware of other than the big "go-faster" rags. He was right, and we had a ball. But what if your time is limited and you hafta?

I love the bike in most other respects. It's fast and quick, handles like magic, and is generally comfortable in all other respects, but if there's no better solution, I might hafta try and sell before it's even broken in. And yes, you're right. Maybe i should've done things differently and made wiser choices ...and done better in math in the fourth grade. :banghead I've already yelled at myself so it will be redundant.:violin

Who makes something better?...probably meaning: bigger. Is that even possible given the mirrors... I'll wait right here. Thanx.

We have bikes that work well for one of us and not the other due to windscreen height. I rode H's 650 last week to renew registration and couldn't wait to get off of it. I put my hand at screen edge and the buffeting stopped. If I ride it in the future, I will clamp on the extension mentioned below.

On my GSA with stock screen, I added a Touratech extension to tweak the turbulance. On H's R12R, the V-Stream was too tall and after cutting it down about an inch and a half she was happy as the buffeting stopped.

As far as having to make time and slab across the country, not much help as we avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Their typically is a US Highway or a state route with similar speeds headed in general direction we will opt for...works east of the Big Muddy anyways:dunno

What givi screen are you using. I have a 2015 bmw f700gs and have tried 4-5 different screens. It's a PIA to find what suits you best as everyone's torso and height is of a different combination. My favorite was a cee baileys 17" screen (custom shorter by 1" than their stock) plus an MRA spoiler. Looked ehhhh but worked beautifully. Then I forked out $500 to get the mirage 2 screen which looks great but was 70% effective compared to the cee Bailey. Finally added an MRA x-creen spoiler to it and I'm almost satisfied. My personal opinion is that the spoiler enables you to have a shorter screen so you don't have to look thru it and takes away most buffeting.

Best advise: shop the forums for used screens to try and find your sweet spot and look.
Here the cee baileys with an MRA spoiler.

2156c67a49c251bae536037f68db7504.jpg

Here's the mirage 2 with a lynx screen plus an MRA x-creen spoiler

61b6eb8d2db32d0f5fc87fae26a577e0.jpg

Zee

2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
2015 BMW F700GS

did some research, but still want opinions pls

looks like the Parabellum is taller and wider, ...which in my exp equals better protection. Also reaches down to the bottom of the headlight which, I suppose might help the updraft a bit

The Aeoflow looks too small to do what I want...maybe I'm wrong and there's magic involved.

The Cee Bailey looks about the same as the GIVI, but the more extreme cut on the sides might have some good effect

The pics of the National Cycle v stream look appealing! the "side deflectors" could be very useful...

http://www.nationalcycle.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/catalogs/ZTechnik_Catalog.pdf

I'd still welcome opinions if u gottem.:dance

Last edited:
Thanx

can't "reply with quote," for some reason, but...It's the two-piece job. Airflow, I believe it's called. I think a spoiler on top would just be too much ugly, and the sliders that hold the the top section in place have just barely enough grip for the weight of the screen itself. The Nat'l Cycle V stream appears to have a section that extends rearward under the bars and attaches to the front screws on top of the tank in a sort of graceful curve that might help with the updraft as well. I'm also using a couple pieces of SAENG edging that helps smooth the flow, tho not enough. I've found it's sometimes helpful, tho not all screens, nor all bikes. In this case, yes.

Last edited:
H has the Saeng edging on two bikes, works for her, for rain issues if nothing else.

Hey it's a GS...not supposed to be pretty:laugh:laugh
I currently have a older T-tech with a strap running to the bars from an 1150 on my 12GSA as my clamp on is really scratched...real pretty according to most:dunno

Good luck in finding the combo...it's out there.

H has the Saeng edging on two bikes, works for her, for rain issues if nothing else.

Hey it's a GS...not supposed to be pretty:laugh:laugh
I currently have a older T-tech with a strap running to the bars from an 1150 on my 12GSA as my clamp on is really scratched...real pretty according to most:dunno

Good luck in finding the combo...it's out there.

Does the Saeng edging help for issues?:scratch

sometimes...

I first tried it on a small screen that was on my wife's K75, not the OEM, maybe a Gustaffson, and it really made a big difference in the smooth-osity of the air flow and the size of the pocket. Then I put some on a Parabellum screen I had on an airhead RS...meh. Similarly useless on an Aeroflow on my oilhead RT. Tho maybe bc the material was so thin that the weight of the edging made it shake at speed. On this f7GS with the two-piece GIVI, I think it helps smooth the airflow and seems to me to decrease the buffeting slightly, but still not enough.

BTW, this is all from the same purchase. The stuff seems kinda $$$ for its size, but I've had it on and off several bikes over a number of years. Assuming I buy one of the screens above (likely it seems the V Stream), I'll buy more since I've cut it up into three pieces.

What screen/bike are you running? It seems to me that perhaps the better (read: bigger), and more effective the screen, the less effect the edging has.

I first tried it on a small screen that was on my wife's K75, not the OEM, maybe a Gustaffson, and it really made a big difference in the smooth-osity of the air flow and the size of the pocket. Then I put some on a Parabellum screen I had on an airhead RS...meh. Similarly useless on an Aeroflow on my oilhead RT. Tho maybe bc the material was so thin that the weight of the edging made it shake at speed. On this f7GS with the two-piece GIVI, I think it helps smooth the airflow and seems to me to decrease the buffeting slightly, but still not enough.

BTW, this is all from the same purchase. The stuff seems kinda $$$ for its size, but I've had it on and off several bikes over a number of years. Assuming I buy one of the screens above (likely it seems the V Stream), I'll buy more since I've cut it up into three pieces.

What screen/bike are you running? It seems to me that perhaps the better (read: bigger), and more effective the screen, the less effect the edging has.

The tall V Steam is what I have.:wave

I tried it on a R12S and with minimal screeen, not much difference

H says she can feel a difference when I took it off her Cee Baileys on a 1150R. She had this VStream cut down which stopped major woomp woomp, after I added the Saeng, she said even better. As I mentioned earlier, it redirects rain as well .as wind. It's pricey per foot, but cheaper than various windscreens.
20170614_174722.jpg

20170614_174712.jpg

can't "reply with quote," for some reason, but...It's the two-piece job. Airflow, I believe it's called. I think a spoiler on top would just be too much ugly, and the sliders that hold the the top section in place have just barely enough grip for the weight of the screen itself. The Nat'l Cycle V stream appears to have a section that extends rearward under the bars and attaches to the front screws on top of the tank in a sort of graceful curve that might help with the updraft as well. I'm also using a couple pieces of SAENG edging that helps smooth the flow, tho not enough. I've found it's sometimes helpful, tho not all screens, nor all bikes. In this case, yes.

I've used an x-screen on top of my Givi for over 3 years. Been up to 90 mph with no issues. Tried to attach photos but couldn't get them to upload either but will be riding around both the Idaho gs giant event and Utah national is your there to take a look.it

I forgot to say my bike is a F800ST. The windshield on it is all together differant then any other BMW. I got my V-Steam for about $100. Dealer demo model. If I was to do it all over again, I WOULD get a Madstad shield for this bike. Stock shield was okay to about 35, now to about 65. It still buffets. I can live with it. I

I've used an x-screen on top of my Givi for over 3 years. Been up to 90 mph with no issues. Tried to attach photos but couldn't get them to upload either but will be riding around both the Idaho gs giant event and Utah national is your there to take a look.it
Thanx. i wonder, if it's not to big a PITA, if you could email pix...geneweygandt@gmail.com thanx either way. no biggie

Back