• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fairing thee well (noise / wind / buffeting / touring/ trucks)

r65_steve

I just returned from the rally on my Rockster. It has a tiny Laminar Lip fairing (it came to me that way) and I added a little Puig thing on top. I didn't want to spoil the look with a big fairing. The Puig allowed me to move a little of the air up over my head or at least higher than where it was. In testing before the trip, I found that it improved *some* of the buffeting on the slab.

After 2900 miles, I'm thinking I need to do something else and wanted some input.

The wind noise was pretty severe (I have earplugs and listen to podcasts) but it was still a lot of noise. I still got plenty of smashed bugs on my faceshield. I found things to be inconsistent when on the slab. I would think I'm doing the speed limit of 70 and look down and it's 67 and I feel like I'm working. Other times, I would be moving at 77 and was no big deal. I'd look at the tops of trees to see if I was fighting a wind or something and it wasn't always clear. (Maybe coffee hadn't kicked in and it was me). The bike feels stable in general, but I know more "touring" oriented bikes have a steering damper. How much does that help at speed? How much better are the fairings on a GS for instance. I talked to some folks who said it was pretty quiet.

Then there's the trucks. 18 wheelers. I found that big box trucks actually throw off less wind than a flat bedded truck with a wrapped load (pallets, etc). Anything less than the height of the truck would create more turbulance than a box trailer. Or a rack of animal cages, big pipes, farm equipment would also create a lot of turbulance. Am I wrong in this? Y'all with more experience please ring in.

Anyhow, I keep telling myself that a bigger screen or a different bike (like a GS) might be better for that sort of touring. Plus I really like them, except for the weight. I'm 6', 20X pounds.

I have never ridden a fairing bike.

Thoughts?

Fifty years ago, when I was in high school, I discovered that having a handlebar mounted windscreen on my honda cb350 really helped with riding fatigue, kept a lot of rain and bugs off. Every bike since has had some sort of windscreen.

Before spending a whole lot of money (e.g., new bike) I would suggest renting a RT for a day. Ride around with a lot of wind protection and see how you like it. I didn't change a thing regarding fairing / windscreen on my R100RS, but I did replace the stock windscreen for a larger Parabellum screen on my R1100RS. Everyone is different, you might need to do some experimentation to see what works best for you.

A taller windscreen that can send the air over your head will make a huge difference in wind noise and eliminate your head buffeting. It can take a bit of trial and error to find the right size screen for you and your bike such that it sends the air over your head, while still giving you desired sightlines and not killing fuel economy. I ride a K1600 GTL, and the stock screen was definitely too short for me (and it would seem most K16 owners). Two screens later, I finally found the right size/shape for me that is also acceptable for my pillion.

And yes, different shapes of larger vehicles can generate very different dirty air to the sides and rear of them that can cause the bike to squirm around a fair bit. I generally stay far enough back until I can see my opportunity to get past them quickly and safely.

A taller windscreen that can send the air over your head will make a huge difference in wind noise and eliminate your head buffeting. It can take a bit of trial and error to find the right size screen for you and your bike such that it sends the air over your head, while still giving you desired sightlines and not killing fuel economy. I ride a K1600 GTL, and the stock screen was definitely too short for me (and it would seem most K16 owners). Two screens later, I finally found the right size/shape for me that is also acceptable for my pillion.

And yes, different shapes of larger vehicles can generate very different dirty air to the sides and rear of them that can cause the bike to squirm around a fair bit. I generally stay far enough back until I can see my opportunity to get past them quickly and safely.
I think the adjustable windscreen on my R1100RT is brilliant and makes a huge difference on a long trip.

I think the adjustable windscreen on my R1100RT is brilliant and makes a huge difference on a long trip.

After 30K miles on my 1100RT and another 5K on the 08 1200RT, I am ruined for any long riding at freeway speeds on anything less protective wind wise. The 1100 came with a Cee Bailey and I put an extension on the top. I put the tall Aeroflow on the 1200 and installed stainless hardware for the lifting mechanism. In the worst case on both bikes, windy and on an freeway with SUV's and big rigs, I can still just lean forward on the tank bag and ride fully in the envelope for some relief. I keep the screens as clean as possible at all times.

The best strategies are around avoidance for me. I ride east in the afternoon and evening and west in the morning. I take all secondary roads where possible (not in a hurry), get in a position in roads where you have clear road ahead (pass a group of vehicles and then sit on their front or 1/4 mile ahead). I hate riding into the sun though the oncoming traffic can see you better. I would rather have best possible vision. I do not ride at night other than from a restaurant back to camp or hotel. Another strategy if you end up running up on a slower group with a group behind you is to just pull off and let the whole mess get ahead and wait for another group to come up and get in front of that one. Last is to just pace off the back of a line by as much as you can without making the ones behind you angry but close enough so that people crossing or entering ahead are not tempted to go for it. One more trick is split or weave forward on the freeway until you get to a group of cars versus SUV's. P/U's, and commercial vehicles. You vision in all directions will be better and the air disturbance will be a little less.

The best strategies are around avoidance for me. I ride east in the afternoon and evening and west in the morning. I take all secondary roads where possible (not in a hurry), get in a position in roads where you have clear road ahead (pass a group of vehicles and then sit on their front or 1/4 mile ahead). I hate riding into the sun though the oncoming traffic can see you better. I would rather have best possible vision. I do not ride at night other than from a restaurant back to camp or hotel. Another strategy if you end up running up on a slower group with a group behind you is to just pull off and let the whole mess get ahead and wait for another group to come up and get in front of that one. Last is to just pace off the back of a line by as much as you can without making the ones behind you angry but close enough so that people crossing or entering ahead are not tempted to go for it. One more trick is split or weave forward on the freeway until you get to a group of cars versus SUV's. P/U's, and commercial vehicles. You vision in all directions will be better and the air disturbance will be a little less.

A portion of my ride home was on I77 (by choice) and I81 (by convenience). On I81, I was worried about the trucks. I found them to be predictable. The pick up trucks and SUVs trying to get around the trucks were less so. They'd dart all over trying to "win" the highway.

I'm still working on my skills/nerve at passing a rig in a curve (like on I64 in WV). I had a hard time making myself pass a truck when going through such a curve at 70+. Maybe it was because I couldn't see all the way around the curve, not sure... It was bothering me something fierce.

A portion of my ride home was on I77 (by choice) and I81 (by convenience). On I81, I was worried about the trucks. I found them to be predictable. The pick up trucks and SUVs trying to get around the trucks were less so. They'd dart all over trying to "win" the highway.

I'm still working on my skills/nerve at passing a rig in a curve (like on I64 in WV). I had a hard time making myself pass a truck when going through such a curve at 70+. Maybe it was because I couldn't see all the way around the curve, not sure... It was bothering me something fierce.

I would never suggest anyone do anything they aren't comfortable with on a motorcycle, especially over 30 MPH with lots of heavy vehicles around. Sight lines and maintaining stoppable speeds given those sight lines is top consideration which I only bend when there is a car in my lane up around the curve I can use as a canary in a coal mine so to speak. Or another bike. Hanging around trucks is bad news and I could say a bunch about my rules and things I am looking for when around them.

I would never suggest anyone do anything they aren't comfortable with on a motorcycle, especially over 30 MPH with lots of heavy vehicles around. Sight lines and maintaining stoppable speeds given those sight lines is top consideration which I only bend when there is a car in my lane up around the curve I can use as a canary in a coal mine so to speak. Or another bike. Hanging around trucks is bad news and I could say a bunch about my rules and things I am looking for when around them.

I'd love to hear your rules on this. Please post. Thnaks.

Steve,
I've ridden all over the country on my '11 R1200r with a Parabellum faring and 20" wind screen, 70k miles and counting. The fairing takes the load off a great deal and with the 20" screen bugs, rain and the like are much reduced. I fitted it specifically because I was intent on touring with the bike and could not take the constant buffeting and fighting wind with the stock mini screen. That said, the buffeting is not completely gone, the look of the bike is different, and it was expensive ($700 eight years ago), and there is still some noise which I took care of with a set of big ear molded plugs. Color match on the fairing was perfect and it's been pretty durable as she flex's quite a bit at 80plus on the highway.

With a dedicated touring bike there is no comparison. My '21 R1250RT with its adjustable wind screen and specially designed fairing can create a bubble of clean bufffeting free air at the touch of a button, and the screen can be lowered to have a blast of clean air hitting mid face shield on very hot days.

As for trucks, never can tell how the air flow will be around them, I try and not spend too much time behind or along side them. Those tires you see exploded on the highway come from them when you least expect it, if your along side or right behind when one decides to let loose it can muck up a perfectly good day in a hurry.

I think you and I met at JB's tech day a couple years ago, wish I'd know you would be at the Rally, we could have had a beer and chatted up some.

Steve,
I've ridden all over the country on my '11 R1200r with a Parabellum faring and 20" wind screen, 70k miles and counting. The fairing takes the load off a great deal and with the 20" screen bugs, rain and the like are much reduced. I fitted it specifically because I was intent on touring with the bike and could not take the constant buffeting and fighting wind with the stock mini screen. That said, the buffeting is not completely gone, the look of the bike is different, and it was expensive ($700 eight years ago), and there is still some noise which I took care of with a set of big ear molded plugs. Color match on the fairing was perfect and it's been pretty durable as she flex's quite a bit at 80plus on the highway.

With a dedicated touring bike there is no comparison. My '21 R1250RT with its adjustable wind screen and specially designed fairing can create a bubble of clean bufffeting free air at the touch of a button, and the screen can be lowered to have a blast of clean air hitting mid face shield on very hot days.

As for trucks, never can tell how the air flow will be around them, I try and not spend too much time behind or along side them. Those tires you see exploded on the highway come from them when you least expect it, if your along side or right behind when one decides to let loose it can muck up a perfectly good day in a hurry.

I think you and I met at JB's tech day a couple years ago, wish I'd know you would be at the Rally, we could have had a beer and chatted up some.

Yes I worry about the retreads and try and stay from behind the trucks. I have never seen one let go but on this trip saw traffic alo down and there were pieces. So maybe recent.

Yes we did meet at JVBs last year. Where in Maine are you again? I love telling people a guy rode down just to come to tech day. Would have been good to chat. Maybe in Richmond!

Im in central Maine. Richmond is on the list, hopefully it won't be as hot as Springfield, this polar bear is not built for that.

The GS is a great bike, I'm sure Bob's would love to get you a test drive, and help you with a payment plan. I can vouch for the new 1250 motor it's spot on and very smooth. Hard decision good luck with your search.

Im in central Maine. Richmond is on the list, hopefully it won't be as hot as Springfield, this polar bear is not built for that.

The GS is a great bike, I'm sure Bob's would love to get you a test drive, and help you with a payment plan. I can vouch for the new 1250 motor it's spot on and very smooth. Hard decision good luck with your search.

I'm going down to Morton's this weekend to test ride one of their used bikes. I already asked if I could take it out on the highway. :)

Actually, we CAN somewhat predict the turbulence around trucks/etc. - Any vehicle that has squared-off sides or rear will create nasty votexes, while a streamlined vehicle, with gentle curves at all corners and edges, will have substantially less. Think of a box versus a dirigible shape, and even those "Streamliner" motor homes. These curved shapes not only cause less turbulence, but they handle better (for that very reason) and get better gas mileage.

Try not to pass a large truck in a curve - they take up a lot of lane, and they take more as they move over the painted lines.

Actually, we CAN somewhat predict the turbulence around trucks/etc. - Any vehicle that has squared-off sides or rear will create nasty votexes, while a streamlined vehicle, with gentle curves at all corners and edges, will have substantially less. Think of a box versus a dirigible shape, and even those "Streamliner" motor homes. These curved shapes not only cause less turbulence, but they handle better (for that very reason) and get better gas mileage.

Try not to pass a large truck in a curve - they take up a lot of lane, and they take more as they move over the painted lines.

I was just surprised that the "usual" box trucks were more predictable than trucks with an irregular load. The one with the pallets of onions (lower than the cab) and the chicken coops (taller than the cab) seemed to be the worst.

Yeah, I hear you about the curves. I just had to wait for the only 100 yards of straight on I64 through WV. Its super curvy! Before this trip, I would just crank a little more throttle in 6th gear. Once I had the sense to downshift to 5th, that bike took off!

Back