• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650GS Noob question about dripping oil

awagnon

I purchased a 2006 F650GS with a little over 7,000 miles on the odometer. I rode it home about 700 miles from where I purchased it. After sitting over night in my garage, I noticed it was dripping oil from the engine. I had a hard time finding the source, but I believe it was coming from the air box. It had enough oil in it that it was coming out the air box drain tube and around the tube. I estimate a couple of ounces of oil was in the box. The oil level was above the level of the drain tube. I know on my RT, if you over-fill it, you get oil blow back into the air box. I checked the oil level in the tank, and it was too full. Is this the same on the F650, or do I have a problem?

Yes it was probably overfilled, not uncommon. Look through the FAQs at WWW.F650.com for more information on oil change/filling.

Thanks. I did look on the Chain Gang site before I posted the question. What I couldn't find is how much oil is considered excessive. I assume mine was since it was dripping onto the garage floor. I understand how oil gets into the airbox on the boxer engines, but haven't figured it out on the F650 engine because I thought it was a dry sump. In which case, over filling shouldn't (logically) cause oil to go to the airbox.

Dripping Oil

I also purchased a used 2006 F650GS and there was oil dripping onto the skid plate and it looked like the drain plug was leaking. I thought at this point that is the reason the previous owner sold it. Took it to my local dealer in Bentonville,AR and was told the alternator cover was leaking and there was a service bulletin on it that it needed to be re-torqued or have gasket replaced under warranty.

I also purchased a used 2006 F650GS and there was oil dripping onto the skid plate and it looked like the drain plug was leaking. I thought at this point that is the reason the previous owner sold it. Took it to my local dealer in Bentonville,AR and was told the alternator cover was leaking and there was a service bulletin on it that it needed to be re-torqued or have gasket replaced under warranty.

Thank you, Scott. That's good information to know. My oil drip stopped after cleaning out the airbox. However, I'll watch it and if I see it again, I'll take it in to see if the alternator cover needs fixing.

The oil is/was over full. See FAQs @ f650.com

Thanks, Kevin. I read the FAQs, but the link to "Oil in the airbox" doesn't seem to work for me. I just couldn't find what is considered excessive oil in the airbox. Also, I still don't know how a "dry sump" engine causes oil to get into the air box. On a wet sump engine, like the R1150xx, when the oil level is too high in the crankcase, the oil goes out the crankcase breather into the airbox. I thought the oil level in the crankcase was controlled on a dry sump engine, regardless of how much oil is in the upper tank.

Go back to the F650 FAQ's and read the part about how to check the oil on a F650. Its completely different from every other bike I have ever owned.

You must check the oil when its hot! If you check it when its cold and then add oil you WILL over fill it. And then the excess oil ends up in the airbox and dripping all over your floor.

This is probably the most common thing that a new F650 owner does to their bike. So your in good company. And yes I did it to. :whistle

Go back to the F650 FAQ's and read the part about how to check the oil on a F650. Its completely different from every other bike I have ever owned.

You must check the oil when its hot! If you check it when its cold and then add oil you WILL over fill it. And then the excess oil ends up in the airbox and dripping all over your floor.

This is probably the most common thing that a new F650 owner does to their bike. So your in good company. And yes I did it to. :whistle

You check the R engines hot, also. The oil was overfilled when the previous owner had the 6,000 mile service performed by a BMW dealer. I never added any oil to it. Yes, I read the FAQ about filling the oil part way, warming the bike, then topping it off. I don't know know if the dealer read it.... I removed about 300 cc's to get the level down to MAX.

You should be good to go then.

Enjoy the bike. They are addictive little buggers. Unless I am heading out on a trip with my wife the K bike sits in the garage. And the F bike gets called into duty for almost all my day trips.

Back