• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650GS (K72) Side stand switch

muddyspokes

Muddyspokes
Our 2011 F650GS will not start while in gear with the clutch pulled in and kick stand up. My wife did do a fair amount of riding in Baja recently-riding down there always takes a toll on our bikes.We soon discovered this issue. I checked the clutch lever/switch and it looks functional...
Next thought is to check or replace the side stand switch...looks like an easy replacement--but I'd like to confirm that its issue before dropping the $100 for parts..

Anyone dealt with this non start 1st gear.
starts in neutral fine...

Ideas?

I think I would soak the switch with WD-40 and work the side stand to see if there was some dirt in it. The next thing would be to jump the switch and see if that changes anything.
Let us know how you make out....I see you have it all "Tagged Up" :thumb and it will possible help others.
OM

Iirc jumping is not straightforward but is possible. It has 3 wires. If you have access to a gs911 you can check its operation by watching the values change as you move the sidestand.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Just looked up my notes from a few years back when I did the bypass. Tie the red and white wires together and leave the brown one floating. I kept the connector off the bad switch with this bypass permanently wired on it and store it in the bike in the event that switch ever acts up again. Curiously enough I learned about this from a post about the R1200GS but the colours were different.

If you have the switch out check for continuity between the two non-brown wires when the switch is pushed in (=side stand up).

The diagram I found on the net shows the colors of the other two non-brown wires as brown/black and brown/violet.

Btw. the K72 model number is for a F800GS. So, which bike are we talking about?

/Guenther

Last edited:
If you have the switch out check for continuity between the two non-brown wires when the switch is pushed in (side stand up).

The diagram I found on the net shows the colors of the other two non-brown wires as brown/black and brown/violet.

Btw. the K72 model number is for a F800GS. So, which bike are we talking about?

/Guenther

Real OEM shows the K72 nomenclature for the F650GS and F800GS 2006 - 2018

Back