• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brown Sidestand blocks shifter from engaging 1st gear

6string

Installed the Brown side stand on my '71 R75/5 SWB and when it's in place, the shifter cannot be pressed down enough to engage 1st gear. The cutout on the side stand mounting bracket seems to not be deep enough. Has anyone run into this and what was your remedy? Wanted to get some ideas before I start grinding away at the bracket.

1.jpeg

Installed the Brown side stand on my '71 R75/5 SWB and when it's in place, the shifter cannot be pressed down enough to engage 1st gear. The cutout on the side stand mounting bracket seems to not be deep enough. Has anyone run into this and what was your remedy? Wanted to get some ideas before I start grinding away at the bracket.

A’yup, had that, done that; although with a Farley’s Sidestand…

IMG_4102.jpeg

… and because you’ll ask ?

IMG_4103.jpeg

Fabricated my own “Heel - Toe Shifter” ! No modifications to the Selector Shaft although, you must be aware of the calibrated Shim that is between the Transmission Case and the Spezial Adapter, which is important to the internal Shifting Cassette !

Kept the original Foot Lever and can swap-out in a few minutes 😎

I installed one on a ‘75 r90/6. It works very well and I am happy with the stand - I just didn’t follow the mounting instructions. Let me know if you have questions IMG_0699.jpeg

Depending on how much more travel is needed it may be possible to loosen the shift lever and rotate it on the splined shaft so the pedal end is at a higher position. I would try this before trying much of anything else.

Depending on how much more travel is needed it may be possible to loosen the shift lever and rotate it on the splined shaft so the pedal end is at a higher position. I would try this before trying much of anything else.

The Slash 5, Four Speed input shaft is not splined Paul, it has a keyway with fixed position hole in the lever, thru which a wedge bolt is installed. You’re locked into that one position.

Of course, the Slash 6 and 7, Five Speeds have the input shaft integral to the lever; the female v-groove of the shaft on the end, mates with the raised male shaft in the transmission; that’s all you get too. There is the multi-piece lever, with special foot peg and adjustable link, that was more anatomically correct for the leg - ankle.

IMG_4107.jpeg

IMG_4108.jpeg

IMG_4109.jpeg

Always respected your work on the big-R bikes; was just thrilled to see Voni and you, coming out of the Mansion at the 50th National… couldn’t help but see her red shirt !

Well oops. It has been a while since I worked on a /5. Thanks for the clarification and correction.

I installed one on a ‘75 r90/6. It works very well and I am happy with the stand - I just didn’t follow the mounting instructions. Let me know if you have questions View attachment 97151
Ah.... looks like you just shifted it back and put the footpeg bolt through the one meant for the muffler clamp (and vice-versa). Good idea! Guessing you had to drill/ream out the hole in the front to accommodate the larger engine through bolt. Did you have to make any other changes to the mount? Everything work as intended and sidestand tuck up well next to exhaust pipe?

I mounted mine about 7-8 degrees below horizontal on my 1973 R60/5 to where the shift lever just brushes the forward bolt, but isn't prevented from continuing its travel down to first gear. Nothing in the instructions says it has to be perfectly horizontal. The folded stand also rides higher and in line with the pipe, which looks really good.

Brown sidestand.jpg

Ah.... looks like you just shifted it back and put the footpeg bolt through the one meant for the muffler clamp (and vice-versa). Good idea! Guessing you had to drill/ream out the hole in the front to accommodate the larger engine through bolt. Did you have to make any other changes to the mount? Everything work as intended and sidestand tuck up well next to exhaust pipe?
My bike was a complete build / barn find. The side stand that came with the bike (which was not the OEM) was bent. I really didn’t have to do anything special to mount the frame bolt. It was tight getting everything to fit but I just didn’t fixate on centering the engine bolt to the frame. The only interference is if I want to put the center stand down, I have to move the side stand down to get my foot onto the center stand. Once the center stand is down, I just push the side stand back in place. The attached photo shows the side stand up.
IMG_0700.jpeg

My bike was a complete build / barn find. The side stand that came with the bike (which was not the OEM) was bent. I really didn’t have to do anything special to mount the frame bolt. It was tight getting everything to fit but I just didn’t fixate on centering the engine bolt to the frame. The only interference is if I want to put the center stand down, I have to move the side stand down to get my foot onto the center stand. Once the center stand is down, I just push the side stand back in place. The attached photo shows the side stand up.
View attachment 97162
So this ended up being a good solution for me... specifically shifting the mounting plate back by using the front hole meant for the exhaust clamp for the footpeg bolt instead - no drilling or reaming required as both holes are the same. I did play around with centering the through bolt so that I had an equal number of threads left and right - for me I ended up with the nuts being evenly flush with the bolt ends on both sides and tightened them to 55ft/lbs. I then used the exhaust clamps in the rearward hole (meant for the foot peg, but I plan to replace that mount with a clamp on the lower frame tube as detailed in snowbum's article here using the clamp part #465312415982 from MaxBMW. This should give me the most stable and sturdy location for both mounting points. My shifter now just clears the front of the mounting plate and snicks readily down into first. The Brown side stand lines up perfectly along the muffler and looks just right as in the pic above. Big thanks clmedlin for the guidance here.

Last edited:
Not a good part number. Is it something from the center stand?
It's here on their site (scroll to bottom) or you can search for it using the part number 465312415982.
If it works as I hope, I'll update here after I get it installed and include a final pic.

Frame Clamp.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Still, that's not a true "valid" part number. As it happens, the number 46 53 1 241 598 has two versions. Seems that Max uses the extra "2" to distinguish them. I see that number first on Vech's old Benchmark Works website...and since Max bought all of Vech's inventory, maybe Max just carried the same numbering. :dunno

So this ended up being a good solution for me... specifically shifting the mounting plate back by using the front hole meant for the exhaust clamp for the footpeg bolt instead - no drilling or reaming required as both holes are the same. I did play around with centering the through bolt so that I had an equal number of threads left and right - for me I ended up with the nuts being evenly flush with the bolt ends on both sides and tightened them to 55ft/lbs. I then used the exhaust clamps in the rearward hole (meant for the foot peg, but I plan to replace that mount with a clamp on the lower frame tube as detailed in snowbum's article here using the clamp part #465312415982 from MaxBMW. This should give me the most stable and sturdy location for both mounting points. My shifter now just clears the front of the mounting plate and snicks readily down into first. The Brown side stand lines up perfectly along the muffler and looks just right as in the pic above. Big thanks clmedlin for the guidance here.
Awesome. Glad it worked for you. S/F

Kurt is right on the “valid part number”; BMW part numbers are eleven(11) digits. Some aftermarket parts add either a letter or number extension.

The chrome or stainless Head Pipe Hanging Clamps are: 18 21 1 230 587, which was superseded by 18 21 2 302 071, LEFT; and the RIGHT is, 18 21 1 230 432 . As the engine is to the right side of the frame, the RIGHT clamp “ears” are on the radius of the clamp; the LEFT clamp ears are skewed to the right as the head pipe is further from the frame to the left…

IMG_4120.jpeg

How gracious of them, to stamp the ears with L & R…

IMG_4122.jpeg

Remove the plastic masking, then break the sharp, as sheared edges, both on the I.D. and O.D.; polish the O.D. mill finish to a nice mirror shine which matches the chrome pipes !

Thinking that the Right clamp is the best one to install outside of the Brown or Farley bar stock, based upon the picture in Post #3 ? Sure looks better when installed the way clmedlin did it !

Last edited:
Kurt is right on the “valid part number”; BMW part numbers are eleven(11) digits. Some aftermarket parts add either a letter or number extension.

The chrome or stainless Head Pipe Hanging Clamps are: 18 21 1 230 587, which was superseded by 18 21 2 302 071, LEFT; and the RIGHT is, 18 21 1 230 432 . As the engine is to the right side of the frame, the RIGHT clamp “ears” are on the radius of the clamp; the LEFT clamp ears are skewed to the right as the head pipe is further from the frame to the left…

View attachment 97173

How gracious of them, to stamp the ears with L & R…

View attachment 97174

Remove the plastic masking, then break the sharp, as sheared edges, both on the I.D. and O.D.; polish the O.D. mill finish to a nice mirror shine which matches the chrome pipes !

Thinking that the Right clamp is the best one to install outside of the Brown or Farley bar stock, based upon the picture in Post #3 ? Sure looks better when installed the way clmedlin did it !
Yes... those look like the muffler clamps, but....

What I'm referring to is a frame clamp to which I can attach both the Brown Sidestand mounting plate *and* the muffler clamps as a bonus. Mounting the sidestand to the lower frame tube should be MUCH stronger than just attaching to the muffler (in addition to the peg/engine through bolt of course). I saw this approach somewhere in some thread on some forum and its also mentioned in the article on snowbum's site here so credit is due to those original posters for the idea.

To be clear the valid 11 digit BMW part numbers for the each half of the two piece clamp are - 46712302079 and 46712302079. Looks like the Max BMW part number I referenced earlier in the thread is just the two halves of the clamp packaged together?

Clamp A.jpg
Frame Clamp B.jpg
I'll update this thread with my finished assembly once I get it all bolted on. Thanks everyone for the input and assistance.

Well, the Surefoot stand from Motobins is a better solution than a Brown, but you have to either send them your footpeg or buy a new one with them.

Back