• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Europe trip gear

Earbuds for airline entertainment. Face mask if flying overnight. Earplugs too.

Why the face mask?

I spend way too much time on airplanes and the only thing that really saves me is Noise-Canceling Earbuds. I have a pair of Bose that are pretty expensive (~$250) but would not part with them, they make THAT big of a difference. They pack small and are re-chargeable with any USB outlet.

Face Mask, I assume they mean eye covers to block out the light if you want to sleep.

I'm green with envy.

Ski

I spend way too much time on airplanes and the only thing that really saves me is Noise-Canceling Earbuds. I have a pair of Bose that are pretty expensive (~$250) but would not part with them, they make THAT big of a difference. They pack small and are re-chargeable with any USB outlet.

Face Mask, I assume they mean eye covers to block out the light if you want to sleep.

I'm green with envy.

Ski

Most of the flight I take to Europe are red eye specials. Leave Mtl at 11:00 PM land around 12:00 the next day. Or 8:00 PM land after 6 AM local. Overnight flights you want to sleep otherwise your first day in Europe will be rough. The mask and ear plugs help.

I think France also requires that riders/drivers carry two breathalyzers.

Apparently, the hi-viz vest is required for breakdowns. If you don't have one, don't stop on the side of the road, ~$168 dollar fine.

You will probably do better with your own research on driving laws for the countries you plan to visit. Counting on lax enforcement is a bad idea. Bored cops can be the most strict.

I know France required the breathalyzers when I was there in 2014 - I bought a couple on ebay (you want the UK or French ebay to find them) for dirt cheap. They're also small. The reflective vest was a requirement, but the reflective stickers weren't fully enforced at the time (plus I was on my US-registered bike), but I did put reflective stickers on my lid and I wore a reflective vest - most European motorcyclists were wearing them so I blended in more. A number of countries (I can't remember if Italy and France were on that list) also required that a first aid kit be carried on the bike. If that's a requirement, you might want to check to see if the rental company you're using provides them.

Have a great time!

I know France required the breathalyzers when I was there in 2014 - I bought a couple on ebay (you want the UK or French ebay to find them) for dirt cheap. They're also small. The reflective vest was a requirement, but the reflective stickers weren't fully enforced at the time (plus I was on my US-registered bike), but I did put reflective stickers on my lid and I wore a reflective vest - most European motorcyclists were wearing them so I blended in more. A number of countries (I can't remember if Italy and France were on that list) also required that a first aid kit be carried on the bike. If that's a requirement, you might want to check to see if the rental company you're using provides them.

Have a great time!

Sounds to me, personally, that the best advice is to stay out of France.

Pack your riding gear in a backpack that will be used as your carry-on. You cannot afford to have the airlines lose your riding gear.

Order up a Dowco helmet bag from Fortnine. You'll appreciate the carrying handles and protection as you are running through the airport and elsewhere.

As for luggage, what comes along in my soft full sized luggage makes it into both of my BMW side bags and GiVi top case with lots of room to spare in the latter. I am on the road there for 6 to 8 weeks annually.

Dowco%20Guardian%20Helmet%20Bag-L.jpg

Man, I wish I could be so comfortable on a plane.

Ski

Back