• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Europe trip gear

I think the dedicated helmet bag is a good one as in case I do have to check it, it will have some protection.

I ride with glasses all the time and have more than two of regular and sunglasses so I will be prepared there. I'll probably bring four or five pairs of riding gloves. (You can never have too many.)

Not too worried about the stickers and the vest thing as I will only be on the French island of Corsica, not the mainland, so would imagine enforcement would be lax. My jacket will have multiple areas of reflectivity as well. (Just ordered a Rev'It Poseidon jacket and pants.) Fourteen days to retirement.

Keep the suggestions coming, please.

I think France also requires that riders/drivers carry two breathalyzers.

Apparently, the hi-viz vest is required for breakdowns. If you don't have one, don't stop on the side of the road, ~$168 dollar fine.

You will probably do better with your own research on driving laws for the countries you plan to visit. Counting on lax enforcement is a bad idea. Bored cops can be the most strict.

I've never heard of that. Would you have a source? Thanks.

We picked up a little brochure in the UK but I didn't keep it. Just did a web search using "Spectacles - driving in France, rules and fines" and this was one of the hits -
http://www.drive-france.com/checklist/

While it says you are 'required' to carry the spare pair of spectacles, there is no mention of a fine. The problem is that the gendarmes look for compliance and when they don't find it, they can become difficult and hold you up. Other hits give lots of useful information.

Also, theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-in-france
gives you info re motorcycling in France, including stiff fines for reflective clothing, and speed camera detectors, including in your sat-nav and switched on. It has to be disabled, not just switched off.

Cheers

Last edited:
- driving in France, rules and fines"

Does that apply to motorcycles? Asking because I see a warning triangle there and that usually just applies to cars.

France, the land of high prices and such hospitable tourism. Been there. Now if they can just engineer a Valeo starter that works and lasts.

Does that apply to motorcycles? Asking because I see a warning triangle there and that usually just applies to cars.

France, the land of high prices and such hospitable tourism. Been there. Now if they can just engineer a Valeo starter that works and lasts.
No, the triangle doesn't apply to bikes.
Also the law requires only one hi-viz vest even if logic would say have one also for the passenger.
If you read French: Gilet jaune

I think the dedicated helmet bag is a good one as in case I do have to check it, it will have some protection.

I ride with glasses all the time and have more than two of regular and sunglasses so I will be prepared there. I'll probably bring four or five pairs of riding gloves. (You can never have too many.)

Not too worried about the stickers and the vest thing as I will only be on the French island of Corsica, not the mainland, so would imagine enforcement would be lax. My jacket will have multiple areas of reflectivity as well. (Just ordered a Rev'It Poseidon jacket and pants.) Fourteen days to retirement.

Keep the suggestions coming, please.

What are your dates? It'll be pretty warm. Are you riding "Corsica/Sardinia/Tuscany Tour with MotoTrip" in another thread? I'm riding/leaving Sicily then Sardinia the first week of April. I live down here for a while longer, send a message if you like... Maybe a chance to meet us somewhere.

IMO no need to bring 5 pairs of gloves. My last trip in Oct (Sicily, Itlay, Switzerland, France, Corsica, Italy, Sicily) I only used my Summer and Heavy Winter gloves.

I'd bring a rain suit. A mix of warm and cold gear. At least have under layers you can strip off or add on as necessary. I don't know your bike or rental situation, but having a bike cover and lock is a good idea for security. Cell phone with European cell plan is needed if you need to book hotels/accom along your trip. (We left everything last minute to remain super flexible). Helps too if you have Google Translate and Trip Advisor. Also if you have to book ferry rides or break down assistance. GPS is a must. Ear plugs. Zip ties. Neck scarf.

Yup, you'll need an "adapter" for electrical items... just remember that the voltage is different, so whatever you are plugging in will need it's own transformer... laptops, cell phones are good on their own... but something like a hair dryer would blow up if you only used the plug adapter.

I used soft luggage on my sport bike, they are expandable and had rain covers.

You need a high viz vest for road side break downs. Cars need the triangle (in Italy)... I'm pretty sure that would apply to bikes, but can't confirm.

Lined helmet bag is a necessity. And yes, it won't fit in overhead (unless you are lucky) you will have to have it under the seat taking up your leg room (don't pick emergency exit row else it will go somewhere else).

Have travel/health insurance.

Book your plane tickets that you can change the flying dates/cancellation policy just in case something happens and you miss hitting the airport in time.

Also... go buy yourself a copy of https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Journeys-Through-Alps-Beyond/dp/1884313388

Here is a picture of what I brought on my R6 for my 10 day trip.

Attachments

• 20160930_195004.jpg
    20160930_195004.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
No, the triangle doesn't apply to bikes.

In which case I wonder how much of that link applies to motorcycles at all.

Also the law requires only one hi-viz vest even if logic would say have one also for the passenger.
If you read French: Gilet jaune

I got mine at the ADAC a couple of years ago for the car and last year for the motorcycle. Not because it is law, but because it is smart....considering how many idiots are on cell phones these days.

GPS is a must.

I use mine for track logging, marking photo locations and the list of motorcycle friendly accommodations.

As for finding all the really great roads including those that aren't in any book, there is nothing like maps. Plus a map gives me the big picture and detail which my GPS can't.

Have just found this blog dedicated to motorcycle riding legalities in Europe.
http://drive-france.com/blog/new-motorcycle-rules-2016
In particular, scroll down to THE NEW RULES fourth paragraph which is SEE THE OTHER NEW RULES and then inside there are two links, one for MOTORCYCLING IN FRANCE and the other is LEGAL REQUIREMENTS. Note particularly the hi-viz jackets and helmet reflector requirements. The (hi-viz jackets) fines are now 11 Euros if you don't have them, and 135 Euros if you don't wear one when you need it in the event of any emergency stop. Notice too they expect you to have the cash to pay these fines on the spot.

This next link is particularly rich in useful tips, but you will need to follow the embedded links to find what you are looking for. There is a lot there.
http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/driving/france

Also, for what it's worth, if these kinds of guides say 'motor vehicle' I would always infer that my motorcycle is a motor vehicle. To think otherwise is to take an unnecessary risk. Of course, we all draw the line in the sand differently - this is where I draw mine.

Interesting thread. So much for having uniform rules in the European Union. Oh, I know. The French are special.

Pack your riding gear in a backpack that will be used as your carry-on. You cannot afford to have the airlines lose your riding gear.

Dowco%20Guardian%20Helmet%20Bag-L.jpg

A backpack with side compression straps. You can attach it to the bike if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have flown to South Africa, Spain, Germany, and New Zealand. It isn't rocket science. Pack your stuff. Decide to check or carry. Do it! Do not assume the worst will happen. It probably won't. Or, just be afraid. That is what they want from you.

Or just suck it up and pay whatever fine is demanded. If a gendarme wants to cite you he/she can find a reason no matter what the country, if not they won't. Always remember the whole group making an illegal uturn in Greece just as two local motor officers passed the other way. They just smiled and waved. You never can predict!

You've got lots of good advice.. I'll add something I've found for any motorcycle tour:

1. Bring less clothing. Laundrymats are available world-wide. They give you something to do when you've run out of underwear. If you really need something else - buy it when you need it. A sweatshirt is pretty cheap no matter where you are. The quick dry stuff is good if you like doing laundry in a sink every night. Some people do - some don't (I'm in the don't category.)

2. Take your heated jacket liner and a simple connection for the battery on the bike. It can get cool in the Alps. It's nice under the 'stich when it rains.

3. Vacuum packing bags. Ziplock makes them. Wonderful thing. You can compress your clothes, riding suit, etc. I used them to pack my big suitcase for the plane trip to Germany, then I used them in my sidecase bags to carry my clothes. Keep one big one handy for dirty clothes. The trick to quickly compressing them - sit on them. Forget about the rollup technique shown on the box. Sit on it.

Have fun. Don't stress. Take your time. Talk to people. Let your tour rental place worry about getting you setup for all the various laws.

Gear

I would def take the Sena.
My first mc trip abroad (England/Ireland) I was concerned about fitting all the stuff in the bags on the bike. I asked the rental company for the luggage they used, then bought inexpensive bags that were that size. Packed everything into those bags then tossed that in my soft sided luggage. The rental agency let us store our luggage at their place while we were out on the bikes. I was sure it would all fit on the bike, and they worked as liner bags to unload each night. Helmet always carried on, but no special precautions. I ran a strap through the chin bar and attached to my rollaboard through the airports, claimed it as my "hat" for carry on. Never a problem.
I agree with all the above posts about taking less laundry and just washing in sink or laundromat. That all works MUCH better if you buy the quick dry underwear/socks and shirts. Do that and it is fine.
I also would recommend compression bags...these don't need a vacuum, you just close them then roll them up and the bottom has a valve. Compresses everything nicely. I changed my packing strategy from all similar items together..to one days worth together. pants/underwear/shirt/socks in separate bag. No need to pull everything out when you hit the hotel..just the next days bag. Something like these https://goo.gl/t9nckQ
My son and I rented bikes in Rome, road down to and along the Amalfi Coast in October Yes traffic is a mess along the coast, but still a beautiful ride...and really the traffic was not much worse than many areas along the Pacific Coast Highway in Cali (son and I did that trip too). You are gonna love it!

Back