• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Euro to high bar conversion. Easy?

KHEEREMA129911

Hello all,

I'd like to ditch my R90/6Euro bar for the higher more touring style bar that BMW had available.

Are the control switch wire harnesses long enough to simply swap the bar? What about throttle cables?

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and how involved the swap is going to be. I'm hoping to accumulate all of the parts before I start disassembly.

I've got a '74 R90 with USA bars. I believe U will need both longer left and right switch harness's and the longer throttle cables to accomadate the longer bars. Also, the longer bars generally use the shorter length mirrors. Are U using any type of fairing or windshield. I ran my R90 with neither for a couple of years. The wind and air buffeting wore out my neck. I believe I could tolerate running with out a windshield or fairing with S bars. Of course back then that was my only bike and I took a lot of long trips with that setup. Just something to consider.

I was worried I would need the switch harnesses! oh boy...I guess its time for an IBMWR post : )

to answer your question, I do have a small "imitation" S type fairing that I use in conjunction with the Euro bars. It does keep some wind off the chest (but not much else).

However, i'm planning a 2,400 mile 2.5 week trip this summer, and riding in West Texas winds in the past has caused me to covet a larger fairing. Also, the Eurobars seem to require me to lean forward just enough to cause me neck discomfort. I can usually ride a couple hundred miles like this with no problem, but multiple 300 mile days is another story!!

The bike was sold to me with bar end mirrors...I was hoping to use them on the USA bar as well.

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket bar with more pullback than the euro or "s" type bar that would not require longer switch harnesses/cables/etc?

Sounds like I might just have some trial/error ahead of me and/or parts to find:dunno

You will need a longer clutch cable, and longer throttle cables, the front brake to m/c cable is the same, just routed alittle different. Your /6 may have had the U.S. bars installed when new and may have been changed to Euro bars sometime in it's life, If this has been done the longer switch wires may have been pulled into the head lamp shell, take a look. The wires on the Euro switches are alittle too short for the higher bars.

Ken G.

Wiring harness option

When I installed a touring handlebar on my /7, I simply cut the wiring harnesses and spliced in short sections of wiring to get the needed length.* It's not tough to do, just turn on a good radio station and you'll be done sooner than you would expect.* Ironically, I eventually went back to the original USA bars that came with the bike.** The USA bars work well for me when riding without a fairing or windshield.* The RT bars postitioned me too vertically in the wind and were tiring.* I would suggest you consider going to USA bars and not touring bars if much of your riding will be done without wind protection.

I rode my R75/6 with the original USA bars for over 25 years, behind a Luftmeister fairing. Once I removed the fairing a few years ago, the upright posture from the USA bars was killing me on the highway. So a couple years ago I switched to Euro bars. Based on the amount of extra wire, I'd agree there's no way you won't have to either change the two switches and harnesses, or splice them. I didn't tuck the excess inside my headlamp, just left it looped down in front of the bar - doesn't look too bad. I might stuff it in there one of these days, Changing the bars changes the whole complexion of the bike, to me. The riding posture is perfect on the highway at around 65 mph, a slight forward lean countered by the force of the wind.

My only point is - if you're not planning on adding a windshield or fairing - maybe you ought to see if you can find a fellow Head in your area with a naked bike/USA bars combo, and ride it first. This is all subjective - but a 2400 mile trip with the higher bars and no wind protection would kill me. I'd end of crouched down onto the tank to alleviate the pressure on my shoulders and arms anyway. Put a good fairing or windshield on there with the USA bars, and I think you'll like the posture.

Also, I had to change the throttle cables and clutch cable. Brake cable was the same.

Back