• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Euro Bars?

yup

You mean 7/8"?

..and the problem with 7/8" bars on a 22mm bike are getting the controls to fit on.. as the 7/8" are .009" larger, "too large".

my mistake ... 7/8" it is, of course.
And
I have found that chrome often makes the difference between fit & no-fit.
Unchromed 7/8ths bars sometimes fit without extra effort.
A favorite of mine is the KN Superbike bars ÔÇô the rise of an S plus more width.
These are powder coated black without P.C. under the throttle area.
0.009" is not much until you try to whittle that much material from a chrome bar !
ÔÇô My course of action rather than modifying / destroying the control perches.

Where are most of you buying the Euro bars? I see that Bobs BMW has a low bar(for R90) & they have a Flanders Europa bar, which is probably 7/8 & a bit tight.
Is this low bar, the Euro bar? Thanks

R90S bars and the euro bars are one in the same, same part number, and are still available from BMW, and they are 22mm. Flanders use to offer Magura brand bars in several bends, and one that was simular to but not excatly like the R90S bars. Magura was the OE supplier for BMW at that time. BMW may use a different supplier now and ordering the same #pn may get you slightly different bars.

Ken G.

Euro , "S" not identical

R90S bars and the euro bars are one in the same, same part number, and are still available from BMW, and they are 22mm. Flanders use to offer Magura brand bars in several bends, and one that was simular to but not excatly like the R90S bars. Magura was the OE supplier for BMW at that time. BMW may use a different supplier now and ordering the same #pn may get you slightly different bars.

Ken G.

C20: Chrome Flanders BMW R90S Bar (Magura style 478-46300): Measurements Height:
3.25"
Pullback:
4.5"
Center:
4"
Width:
24.5"
Diameter: 22mm to fit BMW Controls

A20: Chrome Flanders BMW Low Euro Bar (#12 Euro Bar style): Measurements Height:
2"
Pullback:
3.75"
Center:
4"
Width:
24.25"
Diameter: 22mm to fit BMW Controls

After reading Duane Ausherman's article, I bought a set from Flanders

You CAN get away with using the US cables IF you reroute them, but it is better to use the shorter ones.

I tried that for a while, and although I could not see any issues with the cables, the bike vibrated much more than it had. I recently replaced them with the shorter cables and it is much smoother even though I have not had a chance to balance the carbs. I did set the slack in the cables using a penny as a gauge, so I guess that's probably the cheapest carb tool on record.

I can only assume that the vibration was due to the original cables binding somehow.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but someone might be able to answer this for me:

I'm currently in physical therapy for a bum shoulder (rotator cuff), and I'm wondering if there might be a benefit, in terms of comfort, between the US and the Euro bars. I've currently got the US bars. About 100 miles into any trip and I'm in pretty severe pain.

Any thoughts from the wise hive-brain here?

Go for it!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but someone might be able to answer this for me:

I'm currently in physical therapy for a bum shoulder (rotator cuff), and I'm wondering if there might be a benefit, in terms of comfort, between the US and the Euro bars. I've currently got the US bars. About 100 miles into any trip and I'm in pretty severe pain.

Any thoughts from the wise hive-brain here?

I replaced US with "S" - definite comfort improvement. The US bars make you pull yourself up against the wind. I have never liked this sort of bend as it seemed more tiring, for the elbows, but especially for the neck and shoulders. US bars are on the verge of being cruiser bars - good for short hops only..

I find that, with "S" bars on my R65, the wind lets me keep my back straight, just the slightest pitch forward. My arms are straight; I do not have to bend my elbow to hold myself up against the wind. The Euro bars (see both dimensions above) are a bit lower and more forward.

You might still be somewhat limited with your injury, but I bet you will like one of the lower bars a whole lot better. The "S" or Euro 22mm are about $100. You cannot use 7/8" bars. Tell us what happens!

Back