• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ESA Replacement shock

T

TONY2733

My ESA shock on my 2007 RT has just died at 38K and I want to replace it with a Non ESA shock.

Will this be possible or will there be a fault or problem with the ESA not having an ESA shock.

Does anyone have experience or has made this change.

I talked to Ted Porter at the Beemershop a couple of weeks ago and asked the same question. He said there is no problem with bike operation (computer will note a fault but you won't see it.) A interesting note to the conversation was that Wilbers will soon be coming out with a ESA replacement shock if you want to keep the ESA funtion with a quality, rebuildable shock. But the real answer to your question is it will not create any problems going to a non ESA shock.
Happy New Year
Larry

My ESA shock on my 2007 RT has just died at 38K and I want to replace it with a Non ESA shock.

Will this be possible or will there be a fault or problem with the ESA not having an ESA shock.

Does anyone have experience or has made this change.

I made the change from ESA to manual Wilber shocks on my 08 RT. There's quite a few others here that have as well. You'll be astounded by how much better the bike rides and handles (unless you just happen to be the "average" that ESA was designed for).

You need to unplug and tie back the ESA plugs (IIRC two plugs on the back and one on front, but it's been a while). As was mentioned, you'll get a single communication fault on the bike computer for the back and a single comm fault for the front. No visible indication on the dash, only in the computer.

The Wilber shocks can be rebuilt (recommended every 30K miles), so should last the life of the bike with a couple rebuilds.

You'll be astounded by how much better the bike rides and handles (unless you just happen to be the "average" that ESA was designed for).

You mean as opposed to a "superior" rider like yourself? :D

ESA can only be as good as the shocks it is working with. I find nothing wrong with the system itself and, in fact, find it well worthwhile and especially useful when switching back and forth from solo to 2-up riding.

With Works already offering quality shocks with ESA functionality and Wilber reportedly coming on board in the near future, riders can now have the convenience of ESA with the improved ride provided by better shocks.

You mean as opposed to a "superior" rider like yourself? :D

ESA can only be as good as the shocks it is working with. I find nothing wrong with the system itself and, in fact, find it well worthwhile and especially useful when switching back and forth from solo to 2-up riding

Interesting you thought I meant riding ability. I'll bet you're a cop, right? :hide

To clarify, I meant average as in the average weight for the rider/passenger/luggage that BMW preselected to match up to the different ESA settings. Nothing to do with average or superior riding ability.

I disagree with the ESA only being as good as the shocks it works with. You could have the best shocks made and if ESA's limited number of choices for front/rear damping and rear preload don't happen to fit your weight or riding style, or the front and rear shocks aren't "sync'd" up for damping and preload, the bike won't handle as well as it could with a properly adjusted set of manual shocks.

On my RT, with ESA when the front damping was set correctly, the rear damping was too soft. When the rear damping was set correctly, the front was way too stiff.

EDIT: Corrected my spelling for bikerfish.

Last edited:
you can easily resolve all the "dampening issues" on a bike by always using good quality rain gear, and avoiding riding thru rivers, streams, lakes or ponds.
however, ensuring proper damping characteristics on a shock can be improved by being sure that the spring rate is properly matched to rider weight. :whistle (sorry man, another one of my pet peeves) :bolt

Thanks Guys,

I have a Works ESA shock on order as we speak and they said it will take about two weeks.

What I did is my wife has a 2007 R1200R that we lowered with Works shocks and I have the BMW original manual shock. As I need to use the 2007 RT I mounted the R1200R shock to the RT and it fit perfectly. I did measurements before installing and everything matched, I checked the BMW part numbers and the R1200RT man. shock part number is different from the R1200R manual shock part number, but you know BMW, this could be for the any number of reasons, all I can say is they are a perfect install match.

I need it until the ESA works shock is ready.

I'll be taking it out for a test later today.

Happy New Year to all

I have an 05 RT with ESA still going strong. What was the failure on yours? Did the electronic adjustment stop working?

Interesting you thought I meant riding ability. I'll bet you're a cop, right? :hide

To clarify, I meant average as in the average weight for the rider/passenger/luggage that BMW preselected to match up to the different ESA settings. Nothing to do with average or superior riding ability.

I disagree with the ESA only being as good as the shocks it works with. You could have the best shocks made and if ESA's limited number of choices for front/rear damping and rear preload don't happen to fit your weight or riding style, or the front and rear shocks aren't "sync'd" up for damping and preload, the bike won't handle as well as it could with a properly adjusted set of manual shocks.

On my RT, with ESA when the front damping was set correctly, the rear damping was too soft. When the rear damping was set correctly, the front was way too stiff.

EDIT: Corrected my spelling for bikerfish.

Thanks for the clarification and to answer your question, no, I'm not a cop. I've been happily retired for nearly nineteen years now. ;)

I have an 05 RT with ESA still going strong. What was the failure on yours? Did the electronic adjustment stop working?

Just started leaking, and is out of oil, The dealer told me it was shot ,
I removed it and it is covered in oil

Well, OK then! You're not fooling around here, THAT'S a failure!

Please update this with your thoughts on the new WP shock when you get some miles. At 42k, my ESA shock will have to be replaced eventually, and I want to keep the convenience of the ESA as I use it all the time in my riding.

Also, if you do the work, and it sounds like you are, a few pics of the swap would be nice. I imagine it is not difficult on the RT but I haven't researched it yet.

Robo

I'll just add the comment that HyperPro also has an ESA conversion shock in the works.. it may be available at this time (or not..) Worth giving Tom Cutter or Klaus H a call.

R&I rear shock is not a minor undertaking. Dealer did mine three times before it was right. You have to "marry" the zfr computer to the new shock for it to work.

I'll just add the comment that HyperPro also has an ESA conversion shock in the works.. it may be available at this time (or not..) Worth giving Tom Cutter or Klaus H a call.

Ohlins is working on a set as well. I suspect that all of the majors will have them in the near future with so many new bikes now being fitted with them. The stock replacements are unbelievably expensive.

Jim :brow

Ohlins is working on a set as well. I suspect that all of the majors will have them in the near future with so many new bikes now being fitted with them. The stock replacements are unbelievably expensive.

Jim :brow

Outstanding news, Jim! A set of new ?ûhlins ESA replacement shocks sounds very appealing to me! :thumb

Had my ESA shocks replaced with Ohlins at the MOA rally in July. As others have said, there are no warnings appearing on the bike's display, but fault codes will be picked up by a dealer computer, or a GS-911.

Just started leaking, and is out of oil, The dealer told me it was shot ,
I removed it and it is covered in oil

OK, silly questions.
I have a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty on my 09 GSA with ESA that has 28,000 miles. At some time any non ESA shock would have to be replaced just like on any bike.
but on ESA shocks,
1. Would a failure like this be covered under warranty?
2. Obviously a fluid leak would be noticed but when the ESA shock wears out how does that feel. Does that feel and act like a normal shock. And would warranty cover that?

you can easily resolve all the "dampening issues" on a bike by always using good quality rain gear, and avoiding riding thru rivers, streams, lakes or ponds.
however, ensuring proper damping characteristics on a shock can be improved by being sure that the spring rate is properly matched to rider weight. :whistle (sorry man, another one of my pet peeves) :bolt

:)

Back