• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100RT shock options

eastbay

I just purchased a 96 R1100RT with over 100K. It has what looks to be the original shocks. I ride solo and don't tour . I am 165 lbs wet. Thinking about replacing the shocks. I looked at my options on Ted Porters site and probably would be fine with the YSS Z series at about $900 for the set. There are also some used Wilbers racing on ebay for about $700 for the set. New they are about $2000 and are rebuildable. Wilbers also asys the OEM shocks are rebuildable , though BMW says they are not. thoughts?

While the stockers are rebuildable, you'd now have older stock-type shocks, which were marginal at best - that's one of the places where most manufacturers "cheap out", fully expecting them to be changed later on anyway.
Decent shocks are not cheap, but the improvement in the ride - after you get them set up properly - is quite significant. If you really plan on keeping this a while, keep looking around.
Hopefully you have the old service records - at >100K, there are some things that need lookin' after...

I have heard nothing but good things about Ted Porter and his Beemershop -- he will select the right springs for you and your machine if you order through him.
I've also heard good things about those YSS shocks.

Aftermarket suspension is so very worth the money on these machines. Night and day difference in comfort and handling. I'm a cheapskate so I got a set of used Works Performance shocks and rebuilt them myself but the difference was still huge compared to the old OEM ones.

I contacted Ted Porter and with their help, replaced the original suspension on my 120k, ‘00 R1100RS. A world of difference and money well spent. Ted set up the suspension according to my input and I haven’t had to change a thing. They come highly recommended from me.

Back