• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine Kill on drop?

jwheeler12

I am 2000 miles into my first BMW ownership experience, so please excuse the NOOB question... I'm on a 2022 R1250GSA and was out having some fun yesterday on some unpaved country backroads. I hit a soft spot and had a near-zero speed drop on the right side (totally my bike handling). It is my first drop on this motorcycle and something surprised me - the engine continued running even when the motorcycle was on it's side. I expected the engine to stop.

I'm coming from years of riding a Triumph and it had an electronic sensor that killed the engine when the bike exceeded a certain lean angle indicating a drop. I just assumed this was a standard feature on ADV motorcycles, but apparently not (or mine is not working). I searched my owners manual and didn't find anything regarding an automatic engine stop feature.

So I thought I'd put it out there... is this a feature of the late model r1250GS line, or is mine not working?

(BTW, no harm done to bike or rider)

Not familiar with that feature in any of the bikes I have had.

I will move this to Wetheads later.

OM

I had a similar drop yesterday, and my lights were flashing and I am pretty sure my engine was off. I just remember reaching down to turn off the screen. 2020 R1250GS.

Always wondered why BMW won't incorporate this important feature.

Me, too.... first thing you do when you drop it is shut off the engine because running on its side for too long will damage it.

The common way to stop an engine when it is out of its normal operating position is through the low oil pressure switch. I’m not sure how it could be done otherwise- accelerometer?
No doubt shutting off the bike as soon as you can is important. Once the fluids in the engine start to change position or if you are in water, it hinders a restart.
OM

Honda ST1100 &ST1300 had what is called "Lean Angle Sensor" these are used to prevent engine damage if the bike goes on it side. I can't remember what angle the engine shut down but it was past the point one might achieve while doing heavy cornering. There was no reset other than getting the bike upright.

I still have a 1st generation BMW S1000RR (2010). It too initially didn't have a "drop sensor" and I had to buy it as an accessory to stop the engine when on its side. Within 6 months, BMW supplied them on that model as a standard piece of equipment and refunded my purchase price. They also had a recall and had to redesign the crankcase vent hose as without the drop sensor working engine oil would travel into the air box through that hose and be swallowed into the cylinders - hydro-locking the engine, and bending connecting rods. But how did that happen if the bikes then had drop sensors? Well, the cradle BMW designed to hold the drop sensor failed to hold it in place well for some. Not an engineering feat of confidence by a long shot for track riders and adventure riders as well.

FYI, "lean angle sensors" are generally used to help user's manage electronic traction control systems and help keep them from dropping bikes to begin with. Given the angles good track riders can achieve, I'd not like my lean angle sensor to cut power while dragging knee.

Harley Davidson has been putting drop sensors in for years. It is just a simple inclinometer that sends a signal to the ECM when the motorcycle falls past a certain degree.

Most riders don't know about it and it can be entertaining when I rider drops his bike, picks it up and it is dead, no crank. With HD you need to shut off the main ignition switch to reset the ECM.

Harley Davidson has been putting drop sensors in for years. It is just a simple inclinometer that sends a signal to the ECM when the motorcycle falls past a certain degree.

Most riders don't know about it and it can be entertaining when I rider drops his bike, picks it up and it is dead, no crank. With HD you need to shut off the main ignition switch to reset the ECM.

I believe the Triumph version works the same way.

And of course, so does the BMW S1000RR.

Given most of the BMWs made these days have a six axis IMU to feed the abs system seems like it would be a few lines of code to add this feature. When I’ve dumped the GS I’ve seen the lights strobe but I’m pretty sure I had to kill the motor.

Back