• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Emergency tire repair

dlslawRT

On a recent trip around Colorado, a friend got a puncture in the rear tire of his LT. We patched the puncture and inflated the tire with CO2. After the CO2 went in the valve stem started leaking around the base where it goes into the rim. One theory from the group was that the cold CO2 rushing into the valve somehow unseated it. Has anyone else encountered this? Also; any ideas on an emergency fix for a leaky valve stem, we ended up having to tow into Grand Junction from the middle of nowhere.

In addition to a 12v air compressor and a patch kit I carry a plug kit and a can of fix a flat. The FAF isnt for flats its for leaks. Which you might well get after a plug. I would have FAFed that stem. Valve stems can just break off so perhaps the tow was the best outcome after all. Had you FAFed it and the stem broke off during riding you might have an accident! CO2 cartridiges are a scurvy way to inflate a tire! But if thats all you got they look good. I would rather have a bicycle pump.

Sorry to mention. We did try fix a flat on the stem but it didn't hold or stop the stem from leaking. You could hold the stem or put pressure on it in a certain direction and it would stop the air, but we didn't have anything to keep it in that position.

I should mention that I am the type described as wearing a belt and suspenders!! But when I change a tire I always repalce the stem. This is a bit compulsive but I have never had a stem leak. How many tires did you change with that stem. Just curious, to let me know how anal compulsive I am being.

Sorry to mention. We did try fix a flat on the stem but it didn't hold or stop the stem from leaking. You could hold the stem or put pressure on it in a certain direction and it would stop the air, but we didn't have anything to keep it in that position.

I have read (= no personal experience) of fixing a valve stem leak with crazy glue...

Paul Glaves had a rather revealing article on valve stem failures on Voni's bike in a recent MOA Owners News. His recommendation (which I completely agree with) was to replace the stem when the tire is replaced. The rubber gets old, dries out and cracks. Paul had two of them fail on Voni's bike at the same time.

FWIW, my 'wrench and dealer won't change a tire without replacing the stem. The 'wrench says changing the tire without replacing the stem is like changing the oil without replacing the filter.

Back