• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Easier Clutch Cable Replacement All Early Kbikes

98lee

3 Red Bricks
Staff member
Just a tip:

The most difficult (frustrating, time consuming, PITA) part of changing the clutch cable on any early K (K1, K75, K100, K1100) is feeding the lower accordion boot through the too small hole in the tranny.:banghead There is NO reason for that hole to be that small. So everytime I have someones tranny out for a spline lube or tranny repair I enlarge the hole. It only takes a few minutes (less time than it takes to feed the boot through).

First take a 9/16" (Silver and Deming)drill and enlarge the hole. Then follow with a 5/8" drill. Since it is not a complete hole (interupted cut) you need to be carefull that it doesn't bite in. Use high speed with a VERY light feed and drill more vertical than the angled hole actually is to keep from biting in.

It makes removing and installing the cable a breeze from then on! Remember, don't touch the rear most hole where the cable actually seats! This MUST remain the standard size.:thumb

cable hole 1.jpgcable hole 2.jpg

:dance:dance:dance

Easier-Clutch-Cable-Replacement

Until you have a chance to bore the larger hole, coat the boot liberally with silicone spray ( or suitable rubber lubricant) and pinch to get started and pull with your fingers. It will slide right through. You won't even need to stick your tongue out either corner of you mouth.
This is true on '92-'95 K75 models. I don't know about the other models.
Charlie

Unfortunately, the broken cables that I've experienced didn't happen near a source of suitable lubricants.:doh

Don't forget to always carry a spare clutch lever barrel with your spare clutch cable. DAMHIK

:dance:dance:dance

DAMHIK indeed

I had an early Euro-spec K75C in Germany back in the mid-90s. My wife and I were riding in Belgium enroute to Bruges to meet friends at a campground. On a lovely two-lane road near Bastogne, BE I had a clutch cable fail leaving me unable to easily shift gears (or stop for that matter). I slowed down and after a few hundred meters my wife pulled alongside on her R100RS and shouted to me asking "What is wrong?" I showed her my clutch lever was loose and the cable was no longer whole. She shouted "Do you have a spare cable?" to which I replied "No." Her reply still comes up every now and again. "I do."

We stopped at a parking lot coming into Bastogne and started to take things apart. Karla's spare clutch cable was a R100RS cable and my bike was a K75C. A quick check and we determined that aside from the length it looked like we could make it work. With the clever use of zip ties we were able to route the cable so the length was acceptable and get the clutch set back so I could shift the bike through the gears.

We rode on to Bruges. Had a great stay and visit with friends. Karla rode on to the UK and shopped for sidecars while I rode back to Germany. No need to look up a dealer in Belgium to get another cable. I rode back to Heidelberg and picked up a replacement clutch cable the next week. I exchanged the cable a few weeks later.

It helps to be married to a mechanical engineer. Of course I'll never be able to forget it because she mentions it whenever clutch cable failures are mentioned.

Easier-Clutch-Cable-Replacement

Unfortunately, the broken cables that I've experienced didn't happen near a source of suitable lubricants.

Don't forget to always carry a spare clutch lever barrel with your spare clutch cable. DAMHIK

98lee

Those 1/2"+ tubes of WD-40 with the push felt applicator make a good addition to your bikes tool kit and can be used to lubricate the boots.
I have carried a spare clutch cable for over 40 years and only had one break. Sure was glad that I had a spare! Twice, I have given spare cables to very appreciative folks that were on the side of the road.
I have never carried spare barrels, but I know an omen when I see one. Will get some on the next parts order. Thanks.

Charlie

Back