• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 K75RT - Rear Brake Master Cylinder Replacement, DONE!

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
As is a recurring theme in working on K75s, it was easier than it seemed.

First and foremost, BIG thanks to Marshall who generously offered workspace, tools, supplies and above all experience. I pulled in behind without a doubt the most perfect 2002 I've ever seen, and next to a K75S that I had intended to go look at a year back but was sold (to Marshall) before I could go see it. He could give Bill Shaw a good run for the money, the bike was meticulously restored and literally looked brand new.

Note that I will update this thread with pictures.

As a bit of background, about 5 weeks ago I pulled out for a ride and discovered no back brake, absolutely none! After hitting up Paul and Lee for advice (as usual hah!) it was obvious the rear master cylinder had failed and needed repair or replacement.

I called BeemerBoneyard and managed to secure one of the few remaining Magura 12mm rear brake master cylinders for about half the cost of BMW OEM. Seems BMW had sued Magura to stop them from selling an aftermarket alternative - and once I compared the failed OEM unit with the Magura I knew why. They are exactly the same, down to both the Magura and BMW logos on each. Not too hard to figure out that Magura supplies to BMW, and was selling the same component through their own lines of distribution.

I also bought an extra bag of copper crush washers and a pint of brake fluid (which I forgot to bring and stopped at Autozone to get a liter bottle of Valvoline synth Dot 4 - good thing as we used a good half of it.). I brought my small Craftsman socket set, my BMW tool roll (with extra 11mm wrench for bleed nipples), and my trick metal 1-way valve (Amazon, $16 - avoid the plastic ones) brake bleeder hose. Those contained all the tools needed for this - but one. But I will get to that in a minute :)

With the bike on the centerstand I removed the right bag and right side panel, and broke out the tool roll. Make sure to go slow and clean everything.

1. Remove the two bolts connecting the bag mount to the footplate.
2. Position a catch basin underneath, then remove brake line to the rear of the MC. I used a 14mm socket for this, worked like a charm.
3. Remove the brake pedal return spring, easily done by hand, bike end then brake pedal end.
4. Carefully note how the brake reservoir hose, the tank overflow hose, and the brake light switch cable pass through the footplate.
5. Pop the brake reservoir out to give yourself some slack on the feed hose.
6. Remove the bolt securing the footpeg to the ABS can, I did footpeg side. Then remove the three bolts holding the right side footplate, holding it to keep it from falling.
7. I forgot to unclip the rear brake switch so I just removed it from the footplate - easy, 1 hex bolt, maybe 3mm? BMW Tool Roll.
8. It is about now you will realize the reservoir hose is connected to the MC by an Oetiker clamp. As I sat looking at that little bugger trying to figure out how to get it off Marshall appeared with a Dremel. 5 seconds with the little cutting wheel in the middle of the raised pinch and it was no longer an issue.
9. Pinch the reservoir hose, remove it and drain into the catch pan.
10. Now pull the rubber collar at the front of the MC off. Or in my case, look at and realize that it is so stretched and malformed so that it won't even hold when pushed back over the MC.
12. The footplate should now be completely detached and you can take it to your workbench. If the little brass hourglass shaped plunger extension thing (note, not its official name) falls out, pick it up and be amazed at the amount of crud in there.
11. On the bench, remove the two Allen bolts holding the MC to the footplate, then set aside to be dissected.
12. Put the new on on the footplate and secure. Hooray, it's all uphill from here. Note - You can bench bleed it here if you want - we didn't and it all went fine.
13. Pull the old accordion boot off the brake lever adjuster bolt and push the new one on. Mine came pre-greased which made it quite easy. My kit came with a new brake adjuster bolt, but I saw no reason the replace the existing one. Then push the new accordion boot over the new MC - a small, thin, flathead screwdriver very carefully used sure helped here.
14. With the footplate roughly in place on the bike, lean it out a bit and replace the brake switch, then guide the cable back into the securing clip at the top of the inside of the footplate.
15. Now push the reservoir hose onto the new MC nipple and secure with a new Oetiker clamp, or in our case, a new stainless mini hose clamp.
16. Now re-orient the brake reservoir hose, the tank overflow hose, and the brake switch cable fore and aft of the top footplate bolt. If I remember correctly, both hoses go to the rear and the brake switch cable to the front, but don't quote me as I'm too comfortable right now to go out and check.
17. Thread the top footplate bolt in, through the ABS ground wire eye, and loosely tighten. Make sure nothing is pinched, everything is where it ought to be, then replace the other two bolts. Tighten all three.
18. Replace the footplate to ABS can bolt, and the two bag mount to footplate bolts.
19. Finally, using new copper crush washers on each side, bolt the rear brake line to the rear of the new MC.
20. Replace the return spring, clip in the reservoir, replace the side panel and side case.

Voila! You did it!

Now, bleed the brakes. We used my check valve bleeder and it worked just fine, first at the ABS can and then at the caliper, then repeat.

Total time, about an hour. Difficulty level - simple.

Rode home with nice, firm brakes and will re-bleed in a day or two to make sure all the air is out.

EDIT - Corrections :)

Last edited:
great to meet you Ted! nice day to work on K's. we should have taken a pic of the two black bricks side by side...

file photos for reference. peg plate with MC. MC can be replaced with plate on bike, but it is so much easier to do this on a bench.

item 7 on the list, i think it is a 3mm hex for the brake light switch.

So the report is in on the failed MC.

I removed the little allen to release the plunger and out spilled a mixture of brake fluid and sand. Only it wasn't sand, it was tiny bits of hardened brake fluid. The plunger itself seems to be in great shape - both rubber collars are undamaged, no tears or malformations. The bore looks great as well, there was a bit of discoloration and residue, that came right off with a bit of brake cleaner and a brass brush from a gun cleaning kit. Used the terry plunger from the same kit and it looks brand new.

I have a feeling had I been on the road I definitely could have gotten home with a roadside take apart and clean, and probably could have simply resurrected it with a good cleaning and new rubber accordion boot. From the BeemerBoneyard page it looks like the boot is only $6. Looks like they still have some of the Magura MC's too at $135 each ($125 with your BMWMOA discount), a good deal less than the $250! BMW now wants.

If I were to tackle this again I'd also get and replace the $8 reservoir hose. Mine didn't look so hot and it is sure easier to replace when you are already in there.

Last edited:
Thanks Marshall! And yes, we should have taken that pic - though with your K75 in front lest Higdon see how filthy his former ride has gotten ;)

I am betting the big brake fluid booger on the left was responsible for the sudden, catastrophic leak - then again I guess it could have been any of them. For what it's worth, what looks like corrosion is really little particles of hardened brake fluid - they wiped right off and it all cleaned up good as new. Though that o-ring on the plunger extension thing (technical term) looks a little off it cleaned right up too.

IMG_0883o.jpg

although we used a fuel line hose clamp, it is really too big for the application. correct bmw part number for that one time use clamp is
17 11 1 460 922
#7 in this diagram http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51745&vin=0154291

replacement reservoir hose is part number
34 32 1 457 880, about $7.

Ted - as long as the bore and piston are unscratched, you may be able to get a rebuild kit for that MC...new seals and boot and you have a spare!

Back