• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ear plugs

What ear plugs are best for riding and also being able to hear communicator?

I have been down this road and FWIW I gave up on trying to be able to hear the communicator well and be isolated from wind noise using earplugs.

I ended up going to ear buds that provide more than adequate isolation while piping the communicator audio directly in.

If you are using a Cardo Packtalk communicator I would happy to post how I deal with the audio jack and wiring management.

I have used Etymotics for both wired and their plain Tri-tip isolators. Others may have their preference, I have other tri-tip brands as well and that design works for me.

Not researched on ChatGP so just my .02 worth

And welcome to the Forum :wave

And another vote for the EarPeace ear plugs. I was using foam plugs (Super Heros) but prefer the flanged EarPeace plugs. When I switched, I had to turn DOWN the Sena, it was too loud without the foam earplugs blocking the sound!

I do use cardo black

So as you know the mount has a short lead with a jack at the end into which the speakers plug. The jack is a standard size and will accept any earbud plug. To be able to plug in the earbuds the jack needs to be external to the helmet rather than internal as is the case for speaker use. It would never do however to just have the lead hanging down and dangling.

So the solution to that is this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3598194

This cradle for the jack ingeniously attaches to the Packtalk mount with three small zip ties and its small size makes it inconspicuous. The designer installed his with the jack facing to the rear. I prefer it facing the front.

If you want to go this route and don't know anyone with a 3D printer I can print one and send it to you for the price of postage.

I established some criteria for the earbuds:
- low profile so as to minimize contact with the helmet when putting it on and taking it off
- the wire exiting at a right angle to the axis of the ear canal so that it would point downward rather than straight out to the helmet sides
- a good fit
- sufficient noise isolation to protect my hearing
- a decent strain relief at the plug for durability
- a plug with the wire inline rather than at right angles for ease of insertion to the jack mounted on the Packtalk mount
- decent audio
- reasonable cost

My search brought me to this:
https://h2oaudio.com/collections/all-products/products/surge-s-waterproof-headphones-short-cord

It checks all the boxes. A good fit is pretty much assured given the included 8 (!) sets of domes. And being designed for swimmers it is sweat and waterproof. Obviously a swimmer wanting to listen to music needs sound isolation and these are great for that as well.

I have shared this on a popular Packtalk thread on another forum and they have been adopted by a number of satisfied Packtalk users.

I use Howard Leight Max Lite uncorded foam ear plugs. With a NRR of 30 they provide good hearing protection while allowing some traffic noise and good in-helmet speaker audio through. Sena 20 & 50. I buy them in 200 count boxes from industrial supply houses but I ride a lot.

Whatever type you choose look for the noise reduction rating and what regulations and test protocols are used to arrive at the noise reduction rating. Some popular ones on this forum and other forums make claims but supply no data. It's your hearing.

Been using EarPeace for a a couple years now. Tried a bunch of others, friend recommended EarPeace and so far these have been the best. 2 sets on the bike with different filters in them depending on what riding I am doing, commute vs long distance. Plus a spare set at home.

I've tried all kinds of combinations. I'm currently using some VA-provided Custom Molded Ear Plugs but even with the Cardo Edge volume all the way up, it is hard to hear at 75 mph.

I just ordered a pair of EarPeace MOTO PRO - MAX - 24dB (Red) to try.

I also have a set of FUZE- Short Cord "Music" Custom U-Mold Ear Plugs/Speakers on order. I've had these before and they worked pretty well, can't recall why I got away from them, I think it was the cord on the old ones that finally wore out and I had some Cardo JBL speakers I wanted to try.

S Plugs. Very comfortable, 20db filtering. Can hear in helmet coms, and carry on a quick conversation at stops. As a bonus, it makes the in helmet speakers sound much, much better. It filters out the wind and road noise nicely without dampening out everything.

https://www.plugup.com/filtered_S_plug_20_dB_p/ps-fil.htm

I recently ordered a set of these to try out. Sitting here in the house, they seem to be fairly comfortable. They're "kinda" like the earpeace plugs - which irritated my ears - but the S-plugs seem to sit deeper into my ears without irritation. Haven't have a chance to try them on the bike yet but will shortly on a trip to RI I'm making soon.

I've always run Hearos but never had a reason to hear any audio on the bikes. Last year I decided to start running an audio system to listen to some tunes. Running without hearing protection to listen to music is a non-starter for me.

Fingers crossed that the S-Plugs work out.

+ 1 on EarPeice

I also use Earpiece brand, although I use the music pro not the Moto Pro. Same inserts just come in small / Medium instead of Medium / Large. I found the mediums just a little too big and hurt after a few hours. The smalls with the Max inserts cause no pain and have just the right amount of background noise reductions. They are High Fidelity so the headset music and intercom still sound great.

I use the cheap yellow foam ear plugs you can get at any hardware store. I use a Sena headset. I can hear the speakers just fine as long as I'm below 90 mph! As an added bonus, the earplugs will attenuate the higher frequencies and the music won't sound so tinny.

I use custom molded sensaphonics. The noise filter is swappable so you can adjust if they aren't to your liking. I used a -25db on the bike and a -15db for gigs and rehearsals.
They've been great and are engineered for musicians so they don't wreck the sound profile much at all.

I think I've tried them all including EarPeace.
I gravitated to custom molded attenuators.
Got them from Lucid Hearing through Sam's Club Hearing Centers.
Very reasonable price and are the best I've used.
They seal from the outside of your ear so there is minimal intrusion to your ear canal.
Takes about a week.

PXL_20230301_173745166.jpg

Joe

Another vote for Earpeace. Use in conjunction with my Sena 50R and they are awesome.

They don't stick out enough to interfere with the speakers? I've got jbl speakers in a cardo unit that are bigger than other helmet speakers. It's been a concern enough to have me hesitating to pull the trigger on them.

Back