• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Difference between the country and the city

If everyone who actually wanted to live in the country moved to the country the country would become like the city and they wouldn't like it. That is precisely what happened to what we now call suburbs.

Exactly..... if that happened no one would go to the country anymore because it would be too crowded.

With apologies to Yogi.

If everyone who actually wanted to live in the country moved to the country the country would become like the city and they wouldn't like it. That is precisely what happened to what we now call suburbs.

A lot of people only think they want to live in the country. Most of the ones who do move the country and stay originally came from the country. They are just going home. Many of the city born and raised people move to the country but don't stay. they move back to the city or move into a small town where the close living reminds them of the city.

I guess your right about who stays where but there are a lot of stereotypes about the so called two types of mouse. I grew up in town but always was headed for the river ,creek or woods @ first chance.Even years as a golf caddy gave me fresh air , so to speak, but the air was OK at the house too. It wasn't that I hated being where I was, just liked the out of doors.My middle brother is on the historic preservation board in Topeka,KS & has always fit into an inside locale and a city lifestyle, never the Daniel Boone type. My HS class was 700+ graduating from a 3 yr school whereas my wife had less than 50. Does that make her something I'm not?.
Another thing often mentioned is the "independence & ability" that country folk have to maintain all their stuff. Wrong! My family on both sides were doers, not get somebody else types & it had little to do with where their house sat. My GF held patents and had multi trades & he left the country like many others to get a job. He was a farm manager while also working for an egg packer in a production facility. Many city types came out of the country to work & it didn't turn them into some sort of dependent imbeciles. I moved from the city to the country as soon as was possible for me.
When I was in town or at work listening to the isuues of city life caused by close neighbors, I was always amused. I remembered that stuff from growing up & the quirks of this neighbor & that. It's no different in the country about the people, they're just out further & more tolerable at a distance if the quirk is notable!
Sure, I learned to install & repair my water system that was unnecessary prior while in the city. My 1st "country home" was an A-frame cabin(self built by a city boy) overlooking the Rock Island tracks west of Topeka 20k. As I had no inside plumbing but enjoyed a shower like the next guy, I had a deep well pump in the yard in a pit with a brick pad next to it for showers. I laid the garden hose in the sun then tied the shower head from the hose to a tree branch over the brick pad. It made for interesting views of the passenger trains as I washed up out in the yard! FWIW, the passenger trains ended soon after I moved in.
When I returned to college @ age 30 it was painful to live in the "Blue Zoo" trailer park, which was the nickname for the married student housing there. I tolerated it as long as necessary then went back to the country quickly.
Part of my point is to say that some country folk are able to do things for themselves while others hire it out, just like the so called dependent city types. I will admit that many people must have city types of entertainment in their face constantly. Of course there are country folk that are "crowd seekers" & need entertainment too. It's as much about your personal makeup as anything. Bike rallies are similar in that social respect-some people need to group up, some don't & it isn't because of which type mouse they happen to be.
Now, if this frost would burn off...

That places you in Obamaville?:) National Geo did an article awhile back that was about how almost nobody in the lower 48 is more than 20k from civilization. They used SAT photos to show this. 3 hours could be in a very large place from his VA country locale.

Back